Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2024 Summer Transfer Window

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’ve looked and can’t find a thread on this but please merge if I’ve missed it.

I know there’s 7 games to go, but let’s face it, we’re fighting for the mid table places now, and, with a while to go till our next game, I think it’s fair to start considering our summer transfer activity as something to keep us occupied. Below is what I’d like to see us do (not necessarily what I think we’ll do). I’ve grouped players in to the roles I think we need in the squad - this is not necessarily a formation, as our balance of midfield vs attackers changes depending on the oppo.

GK
I’d like to see Rushworth return to compete (not rotate) with Bart. Steele would make a good #3 - he’s a good ‘club man’ and I doubt he’s on a huge wage. McGill out on loan (or sold).
IN: Rushworth (return from loan)
OUT: McGill

RB
This feels like a priority. Controversially, I would move Lamptey on - he’s lost some of his explosive pace which was his main weapon and I don’t see where he fits: his defending isn’t good enough for RB, and his end product isn’t good enough to be a winger. Veltman doesn’t offer enough going forward to be more than a back up, and Hinsh’s long term role is as a midfielder so I’ve listed him there, though he can obviously act as back up.
IN: New first team RB
OUT: Lamptey

LB
An interesting one as lots of questions. I’m going to assume we can turn Estupinan off and on again to reboot him to the level he was before the injury. I’m also going to assume Barco is ready to be the back up (he’s listed as a defender on the official site, though I suspect he will end up LW). I refuse to consider Milner as a FB as he’s absolutely bobbins there. Igor is also a square peg there which massively reduces our attacking threat, so if either of those assumptions is wrong, we need to bring someone in.
NO ACTIVITY (unless we loan out Barco, or consider him a LW)

CB:
I think it’s time to move on Webster. I like Adam but RDZ clearly doesn’t, and as we know he needs a run of games which makes him a poor back up option. I’d like to see Igor drop down the pecking list a bit - he’s OK, but replacing Colwill with him was like replacing a Ferrari with a Vauxhall Astra - they both kind of do the same thing but one can do a lot more (and a lot more gracefully) than the other. We need to upgrade to get back to the level of last season.
OUT: Webster
IN: New CB

DM (Athletic/Dynamic Bissouma/caicedo type):
I’m splitting the midfield roles as RDZ has said himself we’ve lacked this dynamic - he used the word impact - player. Baleba is obviously the heir apparent, but I’d like to see us have someone else as well, he can’t do a 50 game season and when he’s not there, we lack presence. I’m considering Milner here as I think it’s his best position, but if it was me in charge, I’d be thanking him and sending him on (though I don’t think we’ll do that). The unknown here is Hinsh, as I haven’t seen him play this role but feel like he could do.
OUT: Milner
IN: New athletic Bissouma/Caicedo type

DM/CM (Ball playing MacAllister type):
WBG has done well in this role. Gross is better further forward imo, and can’t get about the pitch enough to be in this role - part of the reason we look so pedestrian at the moment. He also looks knackered. Dahoud was a disaster and a significant upgrade is needed. Moder may (or may not) be able to do this role at the level required, but I’m not sure his passing is good enough - jury is out on that.
OUT: Dahoud
IN: New CM (Dewsbury Hall?)

ACM:
Lallana should be moved upstairs. This is Gross’ best position but he isn’t getting any younger. Another one where I’d like to see us strengthen.
OUT: Lallana
IN: New ACM

LW:
Mitoma back, Adingra as back up (he’s much better on the left), and Osman, Sarmiento and Barco as well if not loaned out. This is well stocked if we don’t sell Mitoma.
NO ACTIVITY

RW:
Obviously the key here is to get March back fit. But I think this is where we could strengthen. We wanted Kudus and the other options are either better on the left (Adingra), or not as effective out wide (eg Buonanotte). Kudus would have been ideal as we could do with more pace and power.
IN: Kudus-type RW

DEEP LYING CENTRAL ATTACKER:
Assuming Enciso is back fit, I think we’re Ok with him and Buonanotte, plus others who can drop off (eg Pedro or Welbeck). There’s also the option of Sarmiento.
NO ACTIVITY

UP TOP ATTACKER:
A fit Pedro, a rejuvenated Ferguson and Welbeck, plus the option of bringing back Undav if his personal circumstances allow.
NO ACTIVITY

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good summary, agree with virtu all ofit.
GK - can’t see Rushworth benefitting much from a season as a no 2 (hopefully the rotation stops and Bart is clear first choice), more likely to go out on loan for one more season with Steele staying as back-up to Bart
CB - get a LB in and Igor is good enough to play (as cover) at CB but still need another (agree re Webster, think he’s at the end of the road with us)

Interesting to see who steps up from the U21s too - sure one or two will be picked out as Hinshelwood was last summer.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Goalies are fine no need to do anything. Just keep playing Bart give it another 6 months and he will be great.
Defenders depends on Roberto staying or going and the replacement. I think Webster, Veltman could do fine with another manager but if we play like we do we need to replace them with quicker defenders. Important to hold on to Van Hecke he will probably attract more interest than any other of our players this summer but another year would be the best for everyone hope he keeps his head cold. Would miss Lamptey for reasons but only looking at football wouldnt cry if he and Igor left. They are ok but feel we can do better
Midfield sell Moder 50 games of nothing tell Milner its over but sign Lallana for another year of cameos. Sign two new midfielders to compete with Baleba, Hinshelwood, Gilmour for pivote roles and play Joao Pedro or Bonanotte or Julio Enciso as 10.
Wingers. Send Osman on loan Fati back to where he came from and sign left footed winger. Done.
Strikers. Final word on Undav might not be said hope we can add him. I dont rate Joao Pedro if we get good money I would be glad to see him go I think people are soon going to understand he is not a good goal scorer and tho can become great I dont think he should play as 9 at least. Undav, Ferguson, Welbeck would be great no need to do something

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I also think this is a good summary. The one point of departure would be that, on my reading, you've gone with starting 12 players in including both ACM and deep-lying central attacker, so I don't think we need a new ACM.
As a more minor quibble, I think Osman plays mainly on the right, so not sure we'd need another RW.
Both of these points are made because: i, I don't want (and don't think we'll have) a bloated squad, it's bad for team spirit; ii, I'd rather we target quality than quantity -- while recognising that having fewer players in the squad has cost us this season due to the hike in injuries (whether this is a 'new normal' is a different question).

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Agree with much of what has been posted. The only nuance is perhaps the potential difficulty with moving players on.

Are we going to find clubs that would offer an acceptable fee (and contract) for Lamptey and Webster, for instance?

For me, the stand out priorities are RB, CB and CM. Providing we don't let any first choice players go in any other positions, those three areas need to be the starting point IMO.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
RB - Although i think Hinshelwood/Gross/Veltman suit RDZ's favoured system. Actually prefer Gross there than in the double pivot. But a proper attacking fullback for the games that need one.
CB - JPVH as been our best defender this season, but we need a pacey defender who can defend large spaces.
DM - Someone who can help defend the wide areas as well as receive the ball in tight spaces to RDZ's requirements.
CM - A forward passer & ball carrier. KDH would be ideal.
RW - Probably the most important. Need to upgrade on Adingra. I'd be happy with Reiss Nelson, or an ambitious move for Marcus Edwards.

And please please please make sure one of them is a decent set piece taker.

pigmanovich

Mar 16, 2024
London
I also think this is a good summary. The one point of departure would be that, on my reading, you've gone with starting 12 players in including both ACM and deep-lying central attacker, so I don't think we need a new ACM.
As a more minor quibble, I think Osman plays mainly on the right, so not sure we'd need another RW.
Both of these points are made because: i, I don't want (and don't think we'll have) a bloated squad, it's bad for team spirit; ii, I'd rather we target quality than quantity -- while recognising that having fewer players in the squad has cost us this season due to the hike in injuries (whether this is a 'new normal' is a different question).
Mainly plays on the left, actually: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ibrahim-osman/profil/spieler/1110406

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I dont rate Joao Pedro if we get good money I would be glad to see him go I think people are soon going to understand he is not a good goal scorer and tho can become great I dont think he should play as 9 at least. Undav, Ferguson, Welbeck would be great no need to do something
Blimey!

Although i agree that his finishing is by the weakest part of his game (sounds strange as he's our top scorer), but he is by far the best we have at dropping deep to pick up the ball from the defence and turning a defender. Something we see RDZ want often.

Reactions: cjd

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I dont rate Joao Pedro if we get good money I would be glad to see him go I think people are soon going to understand he is not a good goal scorer and tho can become great I dont think he should play as 9 at least. Undav, Ferguson, Welbeck would be great no need to do something
You don't rate JP?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think we need a first choice RB, a young rotation option at LB (RDZ doesn't seem to see Barco as a LB), at least one CB (likely one first team ready, one prospect), a first choice CDM, a playmaking CM to rotate with Gross or allow him to push forward, and possibly another winger/forward. Would be tempted to move on Webster, Lamptey and Moder, I also wouldn't be encouraging Lallana to do another season. Not sure if Milner is going to have another season in him either.

I think Osman will end up on loan at a Championship side or USG, possibly Barco too. Wouldn't be too surprised if Sarmiento goes on a permanent, along with Undav, Dahoud, Sima and Alzate, which would probably net us around £40m. Not expecting to see any of this season's loanees with us next season either. So there's a load of ifs and buts, but broadly, I'd have our squad looking something like this:

Bart
Steele
McGill

Veltman
New RB
Dunk
Van Hecke
Igor
New CB
New CB (prospect)
Estupinan
New LB

Baleba
New CDM
New CM
Gilmour
Gross
Hinshelwood
Buonanotte

Mitoma
Adingra
Welbeck
Joao Pedro
Enciso
Ferguson
March
New ST/winger

Not a chance we actually make seven signings mind, and I think it's borderline impossible to predict what will happen, but it's quite fun to speculate.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
You don't rate JP?
No I dont. Think he is ok but think the £35m could of been better spent. Great he is scoring penalties but 1600 minutes in the league 400 minutes between non-penalty goals 800 minutes between assists. If we can get money back or make small profit I would do it not sure the club would agree

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Blimey!

Although i agree that his finishing is by the weakest part of his game (sounds strange as he's our top scorer), but he is by far the best we have at dropping deep to pick up the ball from the defence and turning a defender. Something we see RDZ want often.
Yes, this poster has been contributing all sorts of bat-sh!t comments on football for a while.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I did say it wasn’t really a formation, as I feel that we sometimes play with 3 CM (2 DM and an AM) and sometimes with only 2. Previously we had Mac A who could effortlessly move between many of those roles. WBG doesn’t have that flexibility (he can’t play further forward) and while Lord Pascal does have flexibility, i do think we lose dynamism when he plays deep. I couldn’t quite work out how to show it, but was trying to capture what we need across the squad. I also forgot to add Fati as an OUT, but he’s definitely a return to sender!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not a chance we actually make seven signings mind.
Last summer we signed 7 players that went straight into the first team squad and all quickly made their PL Brighton debuts (Milner, Dahoud, Igor, Pedro, Verbruggen, Baleba, Ansu Fati) . (we also signed other players that went into the dev squad/were loaned etc. )

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Yes, this poster has been contributing all sorts of bat-sh!t comments on football for a while.
Since our 5-0 win against Sheffield in mid February we've won a game against Nottingham (own goal who is our best player this spring) and a meaningless return against Roma B. We´ve been stomped by Roma, Fulham, Arsenal. Lost against Liverpool allowing Salah 12 or was it 14 shots against us lost against Wolves in the cup. We've gone to Brentford and Burnley and done nothing. Yet people are talking as if our manager is made of gold and all our players fantastic. At the finish of this season we are likely to get 0.98 points per game over our last 32!!! games when is it ok to have a different feeling than everything is great and everyone is the best

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We have a big squad. Getting rid of players will be the hardest part.
You can't on the one hand say our financial position means we will be able to take advantage, whilst on the other believe other teams are going to pay for the players we need to get rid of to bring in some extra quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here