Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2024 Asian Cup - Mitoma

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seems Mitoma could miss four league games as well as the fourth round of the FA Cup (should we make it that far!).

Additionally, the final is on the 10th February, just before the first leg of the knockout play-offs of the Europa League, which is where the group runners-up play to see who progresses to the round of 16.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Japan are almost sure to get to the final too given how crap the rest of the Asian teams are.

Kojakker

Jun 10, 2022
At least Wolves and Spurs will be missing their Korean guys, so it evens out a bit.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The AFCON is also being played at the same time as the Asian Cup. Starts 13th Jan with the final 11th Feb. So that's Lamptey, Baleba and Adingra who could be unavailable at the same time Mitoma is.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Perhaps we should stop signing players good enough to play for their country? :shrug:
I'm not sure following Crystal Palace's transfer strategy is the way we should be going.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
First world problems.

Whole season with Mitoma -4 games (if that's what it is), is still good. May notice the reduction in Japanese Mitoma fans on matchday!

Moder should be up to speed by then and hopefully Enciso back??

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Being held in Qatar, then Saudi in 2027.

Sounds so much fun!!!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
First world problems.

Whole season with Mitoma -4 games (if that's what it is), is still good. May notice the reduction in Japanese Mitoma fans on matchday!

Moder should be up to speed by then and hopefully Enciso back??

There is the potential for Mitoma (and others who go to the AFCON) to miss 4 Premier League games, possibly 2 FA Cup matches depending on when countries want players to be realised as I expect they’ll want players released before the third round games which are scheduled for Jan 6th.

Then anyone running deep in the tournament is also likely to miss the Europa/Conference League playoff round first leg.

With March out injured and Mitoma and Adingra both likely to be missing for most of January it’s potentially key players missing for a very busy and important stage of the season which could have a huge knock on effect.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No grudging acceptance from me. Mitoma has given us enough that we should be cheering him on in pursing international glory.

Same as any that go to the Africa tournament.

But we do need to think about it our squad size. We can't say with certainty Enciso or Moder will be fit. It's unlikely we'll get through the xmas schedule without further injury.

Surely some loans will be cancelled. Sima will also likely go to Afcon. We really want Sarmiento fit and playing in the next month or so. I'd be surprised to see Alzate or Undav back though to be honest, even though they're fit, experienced and can see us through a few tricky weeks. Ayari? Koslowski? Moran? Weir? Mazilu?

Jimmy Grimble

There is the potential for Mitoma (and others who go to the AFCON) to miss 4 Premier League games, possibly 2 FA Cup matches depending on when countries want players to be realised as I expect they’ll want players released before the third round games which are scheduled for Jan 6th.

Then anyone running deep in the tournament is also likely to miss the Europa/Conference League playoff round first leg.

With March out injured and Mitoma and Adingra both likely to be missing for most of January it’s potentially key players missing for a very busy and important stage of the season which could have a huge knock on effect.
Hopefully RDZ is already battering the recruitment team’s door down for another winger (especially left footed) as it feels like we’re one short at the moment, let alone come January.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hopefully RDZ is already battering the recruitment team’s door down for another winger (especially left footed) as it feels like we’re one short at the moment, let alone come January.
Hmmmmm Nicolas Gonzalez at Fiorentina part 2?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Maybe yes, but any time we have recruited in January, it's normally late January. Good chance we'll have someone back from Africa or Asia by then.

I think recalling loanees is the way to go. Yes, you're only getting a young player or one who was surplus to requirements. And of course, once the international players are back they may be frozen out again. But, you can get them right from the start of January and you're not reliant on the vagaries of the transfer market.

Jimmy Grimble

Maybe yes, but any time we have recruited in January, it's normally late January. Good chance we'll have someone back from Africa or Asia by then.

I think recalling loanees is the way to go. Yes, you're only getting a young player or one who was surplus to requirements. And of course, once the international players are back they may be frozen out again. But, you can get them right from the start of January and you're not reliant on the vagaries of the transfer market.
I take your point, but if we have realistic ambitions of finishing in the top 6 again, I would argue we need a permanent signing of real quality.

As it stands, we only have Mitoma and Adingra as players whose best position is out wide. Fati, Buononatte, Enciso and Pedro are all exciting attacking talents but none of them are the fit of the wide-man role that RDZ uses.

Jimmy Grimble

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here