Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] 2023 Ski Holidays

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
IIRC @Weststander ander was skiing over Xmas/New Year.

Anyone else got any skiing or with current snow levels, dirt tracking holidays booked ?

(And even open it up to those weirdos who spend their time stood on tea trays/sat on their arses :wink:

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
Spent the first week of the New Year in Zermatt, Switzerland. Snow was meh, enough for grooming and keeping the slopes open, but sketchy in places and the town was baron of any snow which takes away form what makes the village so special.

Ironically while we were in Europe, we have had storm after storm hitting the West Coast resorts here, Mammoth Mountain is heading for the most snow in its history this season, with predictions that the slopes will still be useable in July this year.

Attachments

• mammoth.png
    mammoth.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Vin

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
Spent the first week of the New Year in Zermatt, Switzerland. Snow was meh, enough for grooming and keeping the slopes open, but sketchy in places and the town was baron of any snow which takes away form what makes the village so special.

Ironically while we were in Europe, we have had storm after storm hitting the West Coast resorts here, Mammoth Mountain is heading for the most snow in its history this season, with predictions that the slopes will still be useable in July this year.
Blimey, I thought Zermatt was snow sure. Did Sass Fee a few years ago.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Andorra late Feb, good snow at the moment, who knows. Lads trip so no snow = no major problem!
Austria at Easter, Solden so about as high as it gets! Family - so please be snow!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Your OP first sentence was unclear. Have you been skiing this winter or are you going?
Long story. I've always gone skiing with the family for the last 35+ years, except for 3/4 years off when kids were first born. Mrs Wz tore her knee ligaments badly about 4 years ago skiing a mogul field in fog, as you do, ended up in a knee brace for months and has been wary ever since. My son does ridiculous stuff off piste these days (that I'm not even sure I would have done 30 years ago when I was young and as stupid as he is) and my daughter is in Australia for a year.

So I was a little stuck. However, my old man's football team came to the rescue, and 3 of them have been skiing for years, so I'm going with them. Beginning of March, Kitzbühel. Grumpy old men on tour, I'll report back :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Long story. I've always gone skiing with the family for the last 35+ years, except for 3/4 years off when kids were really small. Mrs Wz tore her knee ligaments badly about 4 years ago skiing a mogul field in fog, as you do, ended up in a knee brace for months and has been wary ever since. My son does ridiculous stuff off piste these days (that I'm not even sure I would have done 30 years ago when I was young and as stupid as he is) and my daughter is in Australia for a year.

So I was a little stuck. However, my old man's football team came to the rescue, and 3 of them have been skiing for years, so I'm going with them. Beginning of March, Kitzbühel. Grumpy old men on tour, I'll report back :thumbsup:
If you like watching WC skiing, it’s the Kitz Hahnenkamm this Saturday. I went there with a friend a few years back, a couple of weeks after the race. You ski across the Streif piste, it being man created sheet ice and incredibly steep.

Have you got a nice hotel lined up?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you like watching WC skiing, it’s the Kitz Hahnenkamm this Saturday. I went there with a friend a few years back, a couple of weeks after the race. You ski across the Streif piste, it being man created sheet ice and incredibly steep.

Have you got a nice hotel lined up?
It's when you see these things close up, the realisation hits o_O

I remember seeing Mrs Wz cartwheeling down the men's downhill at Val Gardena within days of us finding out she was pregnant with our first born (it explains so much). The first time we went to Les Arcs, we were talking about trying the flying kilometre until we saw the thing. We were chatting to a few racers in our hotel including the guy who was doing it on one leg. He had two until he crashed on it 3 years previous. Apparently nobody is allowed to do it until the helicopter is on the pad at the bottom ready :facepalm:

We have booked a very nice hotel and I haven't been skiing in Austria for maybe 15 years ? As I remember it, very pretty villages, slushy skiing, huge amounts of meat with every single meal and a great deal of nudity in the wellness areas. When in Rome :lolol:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
We're in Courchevel from January 28th for a week..

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Absolutely loved skiing at Mammoth Mountain, incredible resort 👍, what are the conditions at Big Bear?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's when you see these things close up, the realisation hits o_O

I remember seeing Mrs Wz cartwheeling down the men's downhill at Val Gardena within days of us finding out she was pregnant with our first born (it explains so much). The first time we went to Les Arcs, we were talking about trying the flying kilometre until we saw the thing. We were chatting to a few racers in our hotel including the guy who was doing it on one leg. He had two until he crashed on it 3 years previous. Apparently nobody is allowed to do it until the helicopter is on the pad at the bottom ready :facepalm:

We have booked a very nice hotel and I haven't been skiing in Austria for maybe 15 years ? As I remember it, very pretty villages, slushy skiing, huge amounts of meat with every single meal and a great deal of nudity in the wellness areas. When in Rome :lolol:
Hotel sauna etiquette in The Alps, I’ve a few stories including a faux pas once in Champuloc, Italy :lolol: .

We’ve always had cold and snow in Austria, through altitude or time of travel. Love the country.

Really want to visit Selva Val Gardena one day, already looking at 2023/24 trips, it’s on a shortlist.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Off to St Martin de Bellville this Saturday. Fly to Geneva on Friday to spend the day, then early transfer down the next morning.
Has been snowing well this last week, with sun all next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here