Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2023-24 Premier League dark horses?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've seen Burnley marked as possible relegation candidates but I reckon they'll do better than expected - could make it to a top half finish

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Villa have done very good business and could be pushing the top 4. They have spanked an absolute shitload, mind.

In terms of relegation: I think Brentford are going to struggle next season, but probably won't go down. I think Everton, Luton and Sheff U will go, but obviously lots can change between now and then.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think Fulham and Wolves will both find goals very hard to come by and I expect them to be battling it out with Luton and Sheffield United for the bottom 3. A very poor team is going to survive this season because of the ineptitude of others. Everton will probably get away with it again.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Villa have done very good business and could be pushing the top 4. They have spanked an absolute shitload, mind.

In terms of relegation: I think Brentford are going to struggle next season, but probably won't go down. I think Everton, Luton and Sheff U will go, but obviously lots can change between now and then.
If Villa can continue their form from last year despite having a European campaign, they will be right up there.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Forest for me. If they even pick up a few of away wins, added to their home form they could finish top half

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Aston Villa could do well. Chelsea, without their European commitments, could be title contenders. I seem to remember they have pulled this one off before.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is this thread suitable as a season-preview thread? I considered starting a new one, but not sure a general preview thread is different enough to warrant it. The guardian have started their team-by-team preview. Up to Brentford so far, so would expect their Brighton one to appear tomorrow. They might have opinions on potential dark horses included, so not too off topic.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think Chelsea will have a good (top four season). Decent manager, loads of money, not rocket science is it. Doesn't make them a dark horse though.

I think Palace will do better than some expect. Decent manager, good attacking players. Certainly better for them than last season.

Proper dark horse though is Luton I think. They will get a lot of results at home that will put them into lower mid table (14th) not the relegation fodder that people expect.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I don't actually think there will be any this year. Top ten will feature City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal, Spurs, Villa, Brentford, Us. Be amazed if someone else ends up there.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
dark horse

noun
a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Chelsea will have a good (top four season). Decent manager, loads of money, not rocket science is it. Doesn't make them a dark horse though.

I think Palace will do better than some expect. Decent manager, good attacking players. Certainly better for them than last season.

Proper dark horse though is Luton I think. They will get a lot of results at home that will put them into lower mid table (14th) not the relegation fodder that people expect.
I honestly see them still struggling a bit - i.e. around 7th, not 12th.

The club is SO badly run, and the squad is a bloated, disjointed, confusing mess. Their midfield has been decimated. I rate Poch and think he will turn it around (given time), but it's a LOT to turn around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here