Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 2022 Drought - Hosepipe ban imminent?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I do - to fill up the paddling pool.

I then use this to water the garden after a few days when the water is manky, using a bucket / watering can.

You can still do that via a watertwo diverter and not contravene any hose pipe ban because it’s filling your bath first inside, then just divert it outside.
That’s the reason it’s called a watertwo, as your using the water twice.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
You can still do that via a watertwo diverter and not contravene any hose pipe ban because it’s filling your bath first inside, then just divert it outside.
That’s the reason it’s called a watertwo, as your using the water twice.

So any unscrupulous gardener can just buy one of these and water away to his hearts content by just running the taps into the bath without putting the plug in?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hosepipe should come into effect automatically 1st July until end Aug. maybe even all year round. one of the most idiotic things we do in modern world, process water fit for human consumption then throw it on our lawns.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
hosepipe should come into effect automatically 1st July until end Aug. maybe even all year round. one of the most idiotic things we do in modern world, process water fit for human consumption then throw it on our lawns.

Agreed. Mind you it’s similarly crazy that we use potable water to flush our toilets.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
So any unscrupulous gardener can just buy one of these and water away to his hearts content by just running the taps into the bath without putting the plug in?

Well yes, but if your having a bath or shower anyway why let it go down the drain when you can water your garden with it.
Helps if you’re on a water meter as well.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So the water companies are unable to supply us with the water we need after a couple of months of dry weather.

How are they going to supply the thousands of new homes being built all over the country?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Once the water companies get their own house in order and stop the leaks wasting millions of gallons then they can talk about a hose pipe ban.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Keep watering those gardens during any hosepipe ban. https://watertwo.co.uk/

Absolutely Mr B, problem is I live in a bungalow with all wastewater pipes underfloor, I have taken to leaving bath water in the bath and baling it out once cool with a bucket and distributing around the garden. Time consuming and heavy work but worthwhile to keep bills down and my lawns don’t seem to mind !

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Once the water companies get their own house in order and stop the leaks wasting millions of gallons then they can talk about a hose pipe ban.

Most are getting there but it’s not an overnight job.
Anglian water have started fitting smart water meters that you can connect your phone via an app. This gives real-time data back to them and shows if you have a leak as the meter will still register through the night during sleeping hours.
I’ve got so much work through this through leak detection, I’ve given up any normal plumbing jobs and just do this now.
Once they’ve identified you have a leak, even minor, like a dripping tap or toilet overflow they will contact you to make you aware, so you get it fixed.
If the leak is substantial say underground, where you cannot see it, they will issue you with a waste water notice where you have to get the leak fixed within 30 days.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://news.sky.com/story/south-east-water-announces-hosepipe-and-sprinkler-ban-for-customers-in-kent-and-sussex-12664588

water.jpg

Starts 12 August.

boik

So the water companies are unable to supply us with the water we need after a couple of months of dry weather.

How are they going to supply the thousands of new homes being built all over the country?

But it's not the water we NEED. It's the water that we're used to wasting. Water should be regarded as precious, but people throw it away and then complain when they're told that they shouldn't be throwing it away.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So just Southern Water holding firm for the moment? I guess they will follow soon given they are now squashed on both sides.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
But it's not the water we NEED. It's the water that we're used to wasting. Water should be regarded as precious, but people throw it away and then complain when they're told that they shouldn't be throwing it away.

You're absolutely right - water is precious and should be treated as such - however we have plenty of water in the UK - just not all in the right place - we need a fully functioning 'National Grid' for water supply.

It's a shame that the water companies have such appalling records on leakage rates - savings on water by issuing a hosepipe ban is a drop in the ocean compared to leakage rates.

The South East is gong to have massive issues with water shortages in the future unless between them the water companies do something about leakage rates/building new reservoirs and the housing developers are made to ensure they build houses in the right places - i.e. where they can guarantee supply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here