Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2021-22 EFL Trophy Walsall v Brighton and Hove Albion U21 Tuesday 14th Sept 7pm KO

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, that was disappointing. Walsall fans wondering before KO if the rest of our U23s were as good as Rushworth (and therefore likely to be dangerous opponents) - 20 minutes in they thought they were! We let that one slip, somewhere. The sending off didn't help (why on earth did we play Dicker? Much better to have given Alzate a game) but the tide seemed to have turned before that.

Cliche alert - you need to score a goal while you're winning!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Looks like Sarmiento has been busy.

b25e30eafc893ca539826826c6f60427.png

He went for it in the eleventh minute, that's for sure, for sure, for sure

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As above, something about a small crowd in a small stadium that takes me down Albion [memory] Way.

Balti pie on the menu but no beer on sale inside the ground.

We played the neat football [on the ground] but their physicality let them out-muscle our kids fairly often.

The goal was as scrappy as you'll ever see.

For a £1 ticket - no complaints from me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ooh it’s a corner;10005184 said:
I’m loving us being in the PL but I did quite enjoy being at an ordinary ground again. We were good for 25 mins but faded from then on. Still enjoyed being there though!

Be good if I can get a similar experience at Forest Green (with a different result, of course!)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Sarmiento was outstanding for 20 minutes he definitely picked up a knock and faded though tried to keep going, Ferguson also took a good thwack to the ankle around 60 minutes, he looked very isolated in the second half.

We played some lovely football for 40 minutes, really good to watch, the sending off completely ruined it as a spectacle and I'm not really sure where Dicker was supposed to have put his leg as their number 10 looked to of actually kicked Dickers leg as he tried to clear it, would like to see that again.

Fair play to the lads though they still tried to play football under pressure down to 10 men, I think the crowd was 1,206 with 61 away fans. (Apparently)

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Sarmiento was outstanding for 20 minutes he definitely picked up a knock and faded though tried to keep going, Ferguson also took a good thwack to the ankle around 60 minutes, he looked very isolated in the second half.

We played some lovely football for 40 minutes, really good to watch, the sending off completely ruined it as a spectacle and I'm not really sure where Dicker was supposed to have put his leg as their number 10 looked to of actually kicked Dickers leg as he tried to clear it, would like to see that again.

Fair play to the lads though they still tried to play football under pressure down to 10 men, I think the crowd was 1,206 with 61 away fans. (Apparently)

Fair play to the sixty one, shows how good our support is, on a pretty grim night with CL football on the box that is excellent.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have no idea what you are complaining about here. :shrug:

Not a complaint.
An observation.
The club offered little in publicity or coverage of the game. It is clearly of little importance to them….. or perhaps to expand on the point, they have little or no interest in engaging the club’s fans in this competition

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Extended highlights up:

(Go straight to 6:05 for Dicker's *ahem* ill-advised challenge...)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What I don't get is that Dicker barely put his foot in for the ball the whole time he was playing league football for us. Tidy ball player, but not exactly a ratter.

Now there's nothing at stake for him in terms of selection, but presumably he's looking to a coaching career and he's supposed to be setting an example, he goes through the back of someone like that?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not a complaint.
An observation.
The club offered little in publicity or coverage of the game. It is clearly of little importance to them….. or perhaps to expand on the point, they have little or no interest in engaging the club’s fans in this competition

Okay, you're obviously entitled to your view.

However, I have no idea what else you expect the club to do?

It is a fixture for the U-23s[well, technically U-21s] (not the first team).

There was a preview article on the club website on the day of the game (which was also flagged on the club's twitter feed).
They announced the team one hour before kick-off.
There was a "Live Match Centre" feed on the club website which gave live, updated line-ups (for both teams) and a text feed updated every few minutes.
After the match, they published a match report on the website followed by a match gallery.
And today on the club's youtube channel you can watch 9 minutes of highlights of the match - Albion YouTube - Walsall v Albion U21s highlights

All for an U-21s fixture.

So, Albion, if you are reading this, thank you for the excellent coverage of the match, and please continue to provide this level of service in the future as I, for one, appreciate it.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
What I don't get is that Dicker barely put his foot in for the ball the whole time he was playing league football for us. Tidy ball player, but not exactly a ratter.

Now there's nothing at stake for him in terms of selection, but presumably he's looking to a coaching career and he's supposed to be setting an example, he goes through the back of someone like that?

Not a great tackle although maybe due to being a bit late on it rather than anything else, but he seemed to be challenging the ref’s decision too which wasn’t great to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here