Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 2019 Cricket World Cup

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Can someone tell me the run rate formula please?

“A team’s net run rate is calculated by deducting from the average runs per over scored by that team throughout the competition, the average runs per over scored against that team throughout the competition.

In the event of a team being all out in less than its full quota of overs, the calculation of its net run rate shall be based on the full quota of overs to which it would have been entitled and not on the number of overs in which the team was dismissed.

“Only those matches where results are achieved will count for the purpose of net run rate calculations. Where a match is abandoned, but a result is achieved under Duckworth/Lewis/Stern, for net run rate purposes Team 1 will be credited with Team 2’s Par Score on abandonment off the same number of overs faced by Team 2. Where a match is concluded with Duckworth/Lewis/Stern having been applied at an earlier point in the match, Team 1 will be credited with 1 run less than the final Target Score for Team 2 off the total number of overs allocated to Team 2 to reach the target.”

SIMPLE!

The bit in bold is pertinent as bowling a team out (or being bowled out) cheaply, with overs to spare, can make a big difference. Hence some teams not "going for it" when they don't need to win the game and are in trouble. Protecting the net run rate.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I think if Bangladesh bat first Pakistan cannot progress whatever, sure that was said on TMS

Yes, because then Pakistan just need to overtake Bangladesh’s total to win - and wouldn’t be able to ‘bat on’ until they were winning by a further 315 runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
So if Pakistan manage this miracle of miracles would anyone be suprised ?

0.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seems a bit daft to me in effectively a knockout finals tournament, where games get rained off and not replayed, that you don't decide a tie on points firstly on the result between the two teams.

It's typical cricket that you need a bit of a maths formula, and a calculator to work out a fairly complex set of numbers to determine who goes through.

Pakistan beat NZ, therefore they win this and tie with NZ, they go through. Simple.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Seems a bit daft to me in effectively a knockout finals tournament, where games get rained off and not replayed, that you don't decide a tie on points firstly on the result between the two teams.

It's typical cricket that you need a bit of a maths formula, and a calculator to work out a fairly complex set of numbers to determine who goes through.

Pakistan beat NZ, therefore they win this and tie with NZ, they go through. Simple.

I agree in theory, but it isn't definitive. You could have 3 teams tied on the same points, same head to head, so you would need to go to something else after that.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Run rate 3.8 off the first 10 overs.

Winning by over 300 was always an impossible task, but doesn't look like they're even going to try. Shame. Would have been entertaining if they'd gone hell for leather and tried to rack up 400 to at least have chance.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

The current situation is simple also, Pakistan need to win by 316 runs to go above New Zealand.

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
I notice the members pavilion is only a third full again, as it was for the sold out Aus v NZ game. Bunch of privileged twats don't want to fork out £45 for a ticket. I know the Compton and Edrich stands are due for demolition at the end of the season, it's a shame they don't bulldoze the members pavilion while they are at it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I notice the members pavilion is only a third full again, as it was for the sold out Aus v NZ game. Bunch of privileged twats don't want to fork out £45 for a ticket. I know the Compton and Edrich stands are due for demolition at the end of the season, it's a shame they don't bulldoze the members pavilion while they are at it.
Not been watching but they said it was full of school kids on TMS? Making a racket and waving their 4/6 cards about.

Which I thought was a great idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here