Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2015 Tomato and Chilli Growing Thread

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have emptied my grow bags of potatoes and quite encouraged by the amount that grew. Is it too late to plant some more for growing late? If not, are seed potatoes still available or could I just put some with sprouts growing in the airing cupboard to speed the sprouting up? I may just plant those as I would have nothing to lose really.

Try growing Charlotte pots, being sold as christmas pots to be ready in time for the festive season.
Am giving them a go this year, as red ants have mullered our Sante's this year, by their nests underneath. :censored:
Good luck :thumbsup:

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
have you got any form of protection (greenhouse, poly house etc).....you can plant potatoes now in tubs and keep them under cover in the cold so they can be ready for xmas

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks for that presumably garden centres or Wilkinsons will have them, so will have a look tomorrow.

Saw a range of " Xmas " potatoes in Wyvale Garden Centre in Ferring a few weeks ago, I think they were pretty pricey at about £3.99 for 10 tubers. Besides, who need New Potato's for Christmas ? you can't roast the things anyway.

Have emptied my grow bags of potatoes and quite encouraged by the amount that grew. Is it too late to plant some more for growing late? If not, are seed potatoes still available or could I just put some with sprouts growing in the airing cupboard to speed the sprouting up? I may just plant those as I would have nothing to lose really.

Dug up mine yesterday, astounded by the yield.

Roasted a few yesterday too, never had a better tasting roastie.

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
Just about to start my 2016 crop.

Heated propagator cleaned and switched on and seed tray prepared. I'll give them a day to get warm before planting.

Varieties this year are:
Purple Jalapeno
Joes Long (Hot)
Paper Lantern (V. Hot)
Golden Cayenne (Hot)
Hungarian Hot Wax
Twilight (Hot)
Ring of Fire (Hot)

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Just been given some belters. Some from Germany sent me loads of chilli and tomato varieties including some rare heirlooms.

Just bought some undersoil heating cables and a thermostat to make a bigger prop bench.

Here's what I've got

Aribibu gustano
Thai hot
Aji Limon
Naga Jolokia
Jalepeno
Trinidad scorpion
Peach Jolokia
Carolina reaper
Lemon Habenero
Devil tongue chocolate
Curry
White hab
Red Hab
Small Thai
Birdseye
Rojo
Bulgarian carrot
Sweet cayenne
Texan pequin
Birgits locato
Fish variegated
Hungarian black.

Also got 3 colours of mini pepper plus the following toms

Shirley
Ilde
Sweet aperitif
Purple bumblebee
Golden bumblebee
Pink bumblebee
Black pear
blue bayou
Paul Robeson
Varigated potatoleaf

Seems a lot but some only have 2 or 3 seeds. Photos to follow

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just been given some belters. Some from Germany sent me loads of chilli and tomato varieties including some rare heirlooms.

Just bought some undersoil heating cables and a thermostat to make a bigger prop bench.

Here's what I've got

Aribibu gustano
Thai hot
Aji Limon
Naga Jolokia
Jalepeno
Trinidad scorpion
Peach Jolokia
Carolina reaper
Lemon Habenero
Devil tongue chocolate
Curry
White hab
Red Hab
Small Thai
Birdseye
Rojo
Bulgarian carrot
Sweet cayenne
Texan pequin
Birgits locato
Fish variegated
Hungarian black.

Also got 3 colours of mini pepper plus the following toms

Shirley
Ilde
Sweet aperitif
Purple bumblebee
Golden bumblebee
Pink bumblebee
Black pear
blue bayou
Paul Robeson
Varigated potatoleaf

Seems a lot but some only have 2 or 3 seeds. Photos to follow

That's a lot of chillies. Hope you've got a big greenhouse!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Haha...only 10 x 8 foot but got a 15 x 12 foot conservatory that I can use to relieve the pressure. Will only be growing one or two plants of each, maybe a couple more of the common varieties.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Am I using my propagator for the first time ever and need a bit of advice.
The seeds have been in a few weeks and are doing well, but at what stage do I take them out or take the lid off? Not really sure of the next stage and I have no instructions with the propagator. They now have around 2 or 3 leafs on them. Do I keep them in the propagator to keep warm and get stronger?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Am I using my propagator for the first time ever and need a bit of advice.
The seeds have been in a few weeks and are doing well, but at what stage do I take them out or take the lid off? Not really sure of the next stage and I have no instructions with the propagator. They now have around 2 or 3 leafs on them. Do I keep them in the propagator to keep warm and get stronger?

Are these Chilli or Tomato plants?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here