2013-14 away attendances for those interested!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would like to see the same table with average mileage incorporated - teams like Leicester, Derby, Forest and Wednesday would then fall down the table.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Hastings to London on the train is 1hr 30 at best. That's before you add on the 30 mins to cross London to get connection. The Northern / Midland teams have a lot easier / quicker journeys.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I would like to see the same table with average mileage incorporated - teams like Leicester, Derby, Forest and Wednesday would then fall down the table.

Does it really matter? They have bigger away support, we have bigger home support. That said a lot of long distance games we had were midweek.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Surprised to see Burnley up there in 6th

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surprised to see Burnley up there in 6th

They wouldn't be if the league was different geographically. However they have had an outstanding season and had away trips to Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn and Wigan. They took a lot to Reading for their final game. Leeds, Huddersfield, Boro, Sheffield aren't a million miles away either.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I'd expect a higher position than 12th for a team with the highest home gates.

Looking at that table, 6 clubs based in the south, that makes the games a huge distance to travel, where as if you based midlands or north you got 17 teams in a reasonable distance of travel, look at Yorkshire alone, no distance at all to them games for the locals.

Dec 3, 2012
Looking at that table, 6 clubs based in the south, that makes the games a huge distance to travel, where as if you based midlands or north you got 17 teams in a reasonable distance of travel, look at Yorkshire alone, no distance at all to them games for the locals.

12th though. That's a big drop in away vs home support.

It's not like people have to walk to the games.

deadmist

Apr 16, 2014
Interesting that Middlesbrough place so highly. Especially as their closest club is more than 70 miles away (Leeds) and their furthest club is over 325 miles (Yeovil). Compared to Brighton's closest 53 miles (Millwall) and furthest been Middlesbrough (314 miles). Sure there's a lot of northern clubs that they're closer to than Brighton are but none of them are easy journeys.

If you lived in the centre of Middlesbrough you'd have to travel 4044 miles in the car to each away ground, an average of 176 miles per game which would mean an average journey time of 2 hours 57 minutes. Brighton fans living in the centre of Brighton have to travel a little bit further (4329 miles) over the course of a season averaging 188 miles per game with a journey time of 3 hours 15 minutes. However there really isn't a lot in it.

I haven't done train times (I'm bored but not that bored) but given Middlesbrough's woeful train services I think it might be easier being a Brighton fan on the train than a Boro fan. For example The City Ground is 57 miles closer to Middlesbrough than it is Brighton (and an hour quicker to get to) but average train time from Middlesbrough to Nottingham is 3 hours 30 minutes. Whilst from Brighton it's about the same. Equally for Blackpool 160 miles closer to Boro than Brighton but train times are pretty much the same (4 hours 45 minutes +).

So I guess my question is - why have Boro beat Brighton in away attendances?

Feb 14, 2010
So I guess my question is - why have Boro beat Brighton in away attendances?[/QUOTE]

Think about it. In the South there is London. In London there are supporters clubs from every club in England (and lots of Scotland).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports