Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2012 Paralympics,your take.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You are totally right it's not a spectator sport, only over a million people have sat in the Olympic Stadium during the Paralympics, and when they were cheering and clapping people from around the world running and jumping and throwing they were only going through the motions. Watching people who have trained for years achieve their sporting goals and beat everyone else is not a spectator sport because they are disabled!

I said it's not a spectator sport "in my opinion". Aren't we permitted opinions on here any more unless we go along with the majority?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Don't spout such utter drivel. "Everyone in the country" is NOT enveloped in the spirit of the paralympics. I am not, and dozens of my friends and relatives feel the same way.

You've got to admire these people for competing when they're disabled, but is it a spectator sport? Not in my opinion. Do I give a damn who wins or loses? No. Have I watched any of it? No.

Stop making such sweeping statements.

We know what you think of the disabled. You have made that quite clear in the past.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What's all this bloody nonsense about trains having to be taken out of service because the typeface on the information screens is 3mm too small to comply with disability regulations. Has the world gone mad?

Apparently the rules are contained in the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.

How many disabled people are there in this country? Are we really willing to let them rule the fu**ing place? This is absolute crap.

And what's the cost to the average taxpayer? Bloody enormous. How much taxpayers money is spent on putting ramps at every intersection in every town?
How much do shops and restaurants have to spend providing disabled access?
Thousands of seats have been removed from trains to make room for disabled lavatories.

I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.

Rant over.

Ring any bells?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Ring any bells?

Wow. That post has just made my brain implode BoF!!! I don't think I've seen a more c*ntish thing on here - and there is a lot of c*ntish stuff on here!!!!

Thank you for putting goldstones post up. Another one to my burgeoning block list I feel!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I said it's not a spectator sport "in my opinion". Aren't we permitted opinions on here any more unless we go along with the majority?

Everyone (even Palace fans) is a human being, with feelings and emotions. Does being in a minority because of some physical difference mean somebody's emotions don't count?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's all a bit arty farty for me this closing ceremony.....bring on the dancing girls

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I saw this thread pop up last night and it disappeared without a trace, so I hoped. Then I look this evening and it has 40+ posts.
It's the end of the Paralympic games and everyone is coming together in celebration and thanks for a wonderful sporting spectacle and all we get on here is arguments, name calling and totally disrespectful comments. Even by north stand chat standards, I'm lost for words how vile people can be.
These people have suffered through an accident at birth, illness, near fatal accidents or fighting for their country. They then continue to suffer in everyday life wether it be through inaccessibility of buildings to peoples intolerance and spite.
Then when these people get through all of these things and decide they don't want to just shrivel up and disappear, they take up a sport, get good at it. Going through endless years at qualifications and training and appear at the Paralympic games. Only to be told by people on here that their efforts were of no interest or at worst worthless. And as for the pap that nobody was interested as it's not a spectator sport? I suggest that the people in packed out arenas and the stadium and millions of people who watched the drama unfold every day may well tell you different.
And even after all this if you don't have anything positive or even nice to say about these remarkable people, then just say nothing at all please.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I enjoyed it.

...and yes it is sporting execellence.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So disabled sport should not be allowed because they cannot compete with the able bodied. Jonny Peacock can beat the best in the world with similar disabilities as him but it's worthless and not excellence because he can't beat the fastest man in the world

I could be wrong,Sport is Excellence.it has to be that is WHY these games have been,surburb to watch.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I saw this thread pop up last night and it disappeared without a trace, so I hoped. Then I look this evening and it has 40+ posts.
It's the end of the Paralympic games and everyone is coming together in celebration and thanks for a wonderful sporting spectacle and all we get on here is arguments, name calling and totally disrespectful comments. Even by north stand chat standards, I'm lost for words how vile people can be.
These people have suffered through an accident at birth, illness, near fatal accidents or fighting for their country. They then continue to suffer in everyday life wether it be through inaccessibility of buildings to peoples intolerance and spite.
Then when these people get through all of these things and decide they don't want to just shrivel up and disappear, they take up a sport, get good at it. Going through endless years at qualifications and training and appear at the Paralympic games. Only to be told by people on here that their efforts were of no interest or at worst worthless. And as for the pap that nobody was interested as it's not a spectator sport? I suggest that the people in packed out arenas and the stadium and millions of people who watched the drama unfold every day may well tell you different.
And even after all this if you don't have anything positive or even nice to say about these remarkable people, then just say nothing at all please.

Respect. However does Iran,India,New Zealand,Greenland etc US ?

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I saw a man with one leg jump higher than my head. If that isn't sporting excellence I struggle to think what is. Oh, and where can I go to play murder ball.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I saw a man with one leg jump higher than my head. If that isn't sporting excellence I struggle to think what is. Oh, and where can I go to play murder ball.

That looked amazing!! I watched the wheelchair rugby yesterday, and didn't quite understand it though. Didn't stop me from enjoying it, mind.

megcat

Sep 6, 2012
Chelwood Gate
Don't spout such utter drivel. "Everyone in the country" is NOT enveloped in the spirit of the paralympics. I am not, and dozens of my friends and relatives feel the same way.

You've got to admire these people for competing when they're disabled, but is it a spectator sport? Not in my opinion. Do I give a damn who wins or loses? No. Have I watched any of it? No.

looking not seeing,hearing not listening,eyes wide closed,so much has passed you by

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Taken from metro.co.uk - is this for real?!?

'The closing ceremony is basically a glorified Coldplay concert. They will hardly be off stage,' the insider explained, adding: 'They may only be getting paid £1 to perform but they will make a fortune in royalties as their music flies up the charts afterwards.'

In another exciting development ahead of the September 9th show, Coldplay have agreed to change the title of their recent hit Paradise to Paralympics in a bid to sign off the Games in style.

Read more: Rihanna and Coldplay signed up for Paralympics closing ceremony | Metro.co.uk

Unfortunately this is all true

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I went to three days of the Paralympics and thought them to be absolutely incredible. I didn't see any "big" events or finals but thought what I saw was amazing. People with disabilities that (hopefully) I shall never have competing to a standard way beyond what I can do now was inspiring beyond belief - these people have to come from 100 yards behind to even begin to compete.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

So its not a spectator sport because you didn't watch it :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here