Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2012 Paralympics,your take.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Picture from yesterday:

Rugby-1.jpg

I was there! Got that French guys autograph as we left the Olympic Park, he was being mobbed by fans. What a player!

(and I'm stealing your photo, thanks!)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was there! Got that French guys autograph as we left the Olympic Park, he was being mobbed by fans. What a player!
Good wasn't it. What I don't understand is why he was the highest classification, 3.5, when he only had one hand. Any ideas?

(and I'm stealing your photo, thanks!)
You want to be careful there, I'm quite touchy about people stealing my photos.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Ok,and as the OP,maybe i am wrong (and by the posts i am) wonderful event,superb effort. Full respect. I watched the blind runners at Manchester Games and like the crowd roared them on. Sporting Achievement YES. Sporting Excellent, No.

So should there not be specific womens events at the Olympics? By your logic it should just be an open event and anyone can enter. If the women can't run as fast as the men then tough for them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
But could Jonny Peacock beat Bolt ?

Let's ask Usain to chop he leg off and see shall we?
Or maybe we should ask could JP beat Bolt if he had two legs?

If he can't, is he a failure? Does that make Yohan Blake, the man that has run the second ever fastest time for the 100 and 200m, a failure, or not having sporting excellence?

I really don't know what you are trying to say with your sporting achievement vs sporting excellent (sic) argument. It's fairly obvious that there is going to be a difference between able bodied people and disabled people. But when they post comparatively similar times, then how can that be deemed anything other than excellence?

Quite a patronising and insulting post to all the athletes in the Paralympics, IMO. The phrase "If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" springs to mind.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.

Wow. What a shit human being you are.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I really dont understand how its not a spectator sport. If there are spectators, its a spectator sport! OK so you dont want to watch it, fine, I dont want to watch golf - but I wouldnt start a thread about it, nor would I say that its not a spectator sport. Its not my sport of choice, but then that could be said of loads of sport. We all have our own interests, but to make such sweeping statements about the paralympics as a whole is ridiculous.

I went to a course at the Amex a few months back and as part of it the Gully Special team came in to do a presentation. There was a young guy there who had cerebal palsy and he talked of his life before sport. Basically saying that he was completely lost. After being able to participate in competitive sport, his life has been enriched and transformed. A true inspirational story. It was this that led to me getting tickets to the olympic stadium to watch the paralympics and I am so glad for myself and for my kids that I did. Inspirational.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Could Weir beat Bolt running? No

Could Bolt beat Weir in a chair? He'd had to change his training regime somewhat to have a crack, at the very least.

The OP is coming from someone without a disability and clearly any sort of knowledge on disabilities. I can see where he Is comIng from. However, Ignorance breeds contempt.
You are being absurdly harsh on the OP. Ultimately, all he is saying is that Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world, whereas Jonnie Peacock is the fastest man with one leg and Weir is the fastest man in a wheelchair. That is not to belittle the achievements of the Paralympians, but if you can't recognise that there are 6 billion able-bodied people in the world and only a tiny fraction of that who have a leg missing, and you refuse to accept that the achievements of Bolt and Peacock should be framed by these facts, then you are being patronising and over-sentimental towards the Paralympians.

On the other hand, I have no sympathy for [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION], and his appalling ignorant comments, as he is a proven moron and can only agree with Wozza here.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don't spout such utter drivel.

That aimed at yourself?

but is it a spectator sport? Not in my opinion. Do I give a damn who wins or loses? No. Have I watched any of it? No.

Is it a spectator sport? - YES, definitely because regardless of your opinion, attendances and viewing figures prove that it is a spectator sport and huge numbers have turned up and tuned into watch it. You're opinion on whether you enjoy watching it or not is irrelevant to whether it is a spectator sport. Talk about sweeping statements, because you and a few mates and family didn't watch it, it's not a spectator sport - what a bubble you must live in!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lucky enough to see first hand wheel chair basketball, paralympic table tennis, judo, athletics and wheelchair rugger.

Amazing how the wheelchair guys really SMASH into each other. I mean BANG and send the other guy sprawling.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
As a Games Maker during the Paralympic Games, I have had the extreme pleasure of being able to witness some fantastic achievement that, for me, show sporting excellence in disability sports. Let me give you a few examples.

Witnessing the Athletics a few times was something else. Witnessing the likes of Oscar Pistorius, who have amputated legs, to run at speeds and multiple events in a short period of time is amazing. But to have gone through the agonising pain of having amputated legs takes a lot of effort to get use to; mentallt, physically and emotionally. These guys are heroes. They can run at 10.9 seconds, which some 100m sprinters in the Olympics consistently hit, how does that not make Paralympics sporting excellence? But other than Pistorius and Peacock, is Jason Smyth, the blind Irish sprinter. The guy trains with Tyson Gay, 4x100m relay silver medallist, even he says Smyth can give the former world record holder a run for his money. In his final classification, his final finishing time? 10.59 seconds. That's just a second slower than Bolt. Why do I think he achieves sporting excellence? He is visionally impaired; he can't see beyond 5 metres, yet can run that distance better than fully abled atheletes that, apparently, achieve sporting excellence, and you're saying he doesn't? As Boris would say: poppy-cock! Who can forget Brit's very own, David Weir. The roar when I was on the otherside of Olympic Park said it all for me about the 4-time gold medallist: true example of sporting excellence. A wheelchair-bound athlete was able to compete in the 800m; 1500m; 5000m and the marathon. Even competing in those alone is a fantastic sporting achievement but to get golds in all of them and to tell me that is not sporting excellence is ludicrous!

Moving on to Swimming and we all know where this is going, Ellie Simmonds who has achondroplasia. She's an idol, no doubt she'll be battling for the Personality of the Year award and even receiving a few honours. In Beijing, she broke one of the world records in her events by 5 seconds and took 2 golds from that games. In London it's a different story! In her Medley event she was getting thrashed, her rival had a good 15 metre advantage over her, but she showed passion, determination and composure to finish in style. The final length saw her take the gold and break the world record she set that morning. Finest of examples of sporting excellence. But she doesn't stop there, she gets on to equal her gold winning tally in a games at 2 along with another silver and bronze. For someone of her condition really shows "not what they can't, but what they can do".

How about the blind 5-a-side football? The players have to use their sense of hearing and feel to get to grips of the games. And some of these players have incredible ball control and not only that, passing accuracy. Some of the players really show they are the Xavi's and Iniesta's in that sport and provide moments that will impress the likes of Messi and Pele. How is that not excellence within sport I ask you?

Goalball is fantastic, 3-a-side visionally impaired players throwing a ball in a goal the length of the pitch. How do they prevent conceding a goal? They listen to the bells that I struggle to hear in the first couple of rows. Some of these players can sense where the ball is and the direction is going which is incredible! Imagine it, you're blindfolded playing against these guys and they thrash you, because they are excellent in their sport play against other excellent players in excellent sporting events including the Paralympics. That is sporting excellence.

How about that archer from USA, Matt Stutzman!? No arms, holds his arrow with his mouth and the bow with his foot, that is unbelievable and is even evidently better than archers in the Olympics that are apparently involved in sporting excellence, in your eyes. How is he better? He holds the world record for the longest accurate archery shot ever! Few have tried to beat it but fail, miserably. True testament to sporting exellence

I could go on in this rant but I am just going to finish it all of by saying this: Sporting Excellence is in the Paralympics and other disabled sporting events, you know it, I know it and now the whole world knows this! They have inspired a generation, not the Olympics!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
"Too watch the blind runners is stunning (and myself and my lad saw them in Manchester for the Commonwealth games) yet for me i just cant see it "

I hope that was meant to be funny. Either it is "stunning" or its not. make your mind yu. personally I think it shoved several acres of prejudice that lots of people have right down their throats

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.
Beggars belief doesn't it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As a Games Maker during the Paralympic Games, I have had the extreme pleasure of being able to witness some fantastic achievement that, for me, show sporting excellence in disability sports. Let me give you a few examples.

Witnessing the Athletics a few times was something else. Witnessing the likes of Oscar Pistorius, who have amputated legs, to run at speeds and multiple events in a short period of time is amazing. But to have gone through the agonising pain of having amputated legs takes a lot of effort to get use to; mentallt, physically and emotionally. These guys are heroes. They can run at 10.9 seconds, which some 100m sprinters in the Olympics consistently hit, how does that not make Paralympics sporting excellence? But other than Pistorius and Peacock, is Jason Smyth, the blind Irish sprinter. The guy trains with Tyson Gay, 4x100m relay silver medallist, even he says Smyth can give the former world record holder a run for his money. In his final classification, his final finishing time? 10.59 seconds. That's just a second slower than Bolt. Why do I think he achieves sporting excellence? He is visionally impaired; he can't see beyond 5 metres, yet can run that distance better than fully abled atheletes that, apparently, achieve sporting excellence, and you're saying he doesn't? As Boris would say: poppy-cock! Who can forget Brit's very own, David Weir. The roar when I was on the otherside of Olympic Park said it all for me about the 4-time gold medallist: true example of sporting excellence. A wheelchair-bound athlete was able to compete in the 800m; 1500m; 5000m and the marathon. Even competing in those alone is a fantastic sporting achievement but to get golds in all of them and to tell me that is not sporting excellence is ludicrous!

Moving on to Swimming and we all know where this is going, Ellie Simmonds who has achondroplasia. She's an idol, no doubt she'll be battling for the Personality of the Year award and even receiving a few honours. In Beijing, she broke one of the world records in her events by 5 seconds and took 2 golds from that games. In London it's a different story! In her Medley event she was getting thrashed, her rival had a good 15 metre advantage over her, but she showed passion, determination and composure to finish in style. The final length saw her take the gold and break the world record she set that morning. Finest of examples of sporting excellence. But she doesn't stop there, she gets on to equal her gold winning tally in a games at 2 along with another silver and bronze. For someone of her condition really shows "not what they can't, but what they can do".

How about the blind 5-a-side football? The players have to use their sense of hearing and feel to get to grips of the games. And some of these players have incredible ball control and not only that, passing accuracy. Some of the players really show they are the Xavi's and Iniesta's in that sport and provide moments that will impress the likes of Messi and Pele. How is that not excellence within sport I ask you?

Goalball is fantastic, 3-a-side visionally impaired players throwing a ball in a goal the length of the pitch. How do they prevent conceding a goal? They listen to the bells that I struggle to hear in the first couple of rows. Some of these players can sense where the ball is and the direction is going which is incredible! Imagine it, you're blindfolded playing against these guys and they thrash you, because they are excellent in their sport play against other excellent players in excellent sporting events including the Paralympics. That is sporting excellence.

How about that archer from USA, Matt Stutzman!? No arms, holds his arrow with his mouth and the bow with his foot, that is unbelievable and is even evidently better than archers in the Olympics that are apparently involved in sporting excellence, in your eyes. How is he better? He holds the world record for the longest accurate archery shot ever! Few have tried to beat it but fail, miserably. True testament to sporting exellence

I could go on in this rant but I am just going to finish it all of by saying this: Sporting Excellence is in the Paralympics and other disabled sporting events, you know it, I know it and now the whole world knows this! They have inspired a generation, not the Olympics!

Brilliant, brilliant stuff, and excellent post.

Are you reading this [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION], you appalling individual?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Ok,and as the OP,maybe i am wrong (and by the posts i am) wonderful event,superb effort. Full respect. I watched the blind runners at Manchester Games and like the crowd roared them on. Sporting Achievement YES. Sporting Excellent, No.

What a stupid thing to say - how can athletes performing at the pinnacle of their respective fields not be sporting excellence?Is it because they're blind or in a wheelchair or something??

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Of course it's sporting excellence there performing to the top of there ability they can, there the best disabled athletes in the world, there the super stars of there sport.

How anyone can say what these people achieve with the disability they suffer is a idiot, that is the only way I can say it. These people are an inspiration and exactly what this country and world needed right now some wonderful athletes we can be proud off, I am delighted where hosting an event every year now for disabled sports

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here