Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2011 the year for buying gold

Bert365

May 7, 2006
A few people have been saying that gold will be a good investment for 2011 what do nsc experts say

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Vintage wine is the way to go at the moment, especially first growths.
Also has the added benefit of no capital gains tax

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Vintage wine is the way to go at the moment, especially first growths.
Also has the added benefit of no capital gains tax

It's a claim I have heard many, many times over the years and have yet to hear if it ever pans out. I think you have to really know what you're doing to invest in something like that - or use money you can afford to lose just on a punt.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I'm lucky in that I work at one of the old gentlemens clubs in london. We have 1.2m worth of wine on the balance sheet.
We just sold some wine that we bought for 45k 4 years ago for £130,000. Obviously the advantage we have is that some of the members come from the large wine importers but it's an investment that is starting to be pushed by tax advisors.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres a saying in financial markets that once the man in the street is interested in buying, its the peak and time to sell. so its an interesting question to raise on a footbal forum.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You'll probably be better off buying shares in gold mines if that's what you're into.

Agreed.

There are several reasons why gold can be a difficult investment

1. Holding physical gold is risky
2. Storing gold in a bank etc incurs an overhead with insurance. This makes the % return on gold investments less attractive.
3. Good rises have been made to date but there is no guarantee it will continue. Normally when the masses wade in, its time to get out.
4. Gold markets can crash very fast. Rapidly disposing of your physical assets can be very difficult and you will probably miss the boat.
5. Places that sell you gold and retain it for you (giving you just a piece of paper) are running glorified Ponzi schemes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we're talking about it, on NSC, it probably too late.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Have got quite a bit of gold in both my SIPP and 'get rich slowly'portfolio.....held via the Blackrock Gold and General Fund,which invests in gold miners.Has done very well over the last year or two and I am holding on to my investment for the time being.
As for the 'experts' some say gold is in a bubble that is soon to burst whilst others say hold onto your gold during these financially uncertain times as it will go higher.
As always you pays yer money and takes your choice!

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
couple of years ago fella and you'd be sitting nicely. gold has had it's day, for now.

energy stocks (Drax), insurance firms and property stocks look good value to me

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Agreed.

There are several reasons why gold can be a difficult investment

1. Holding physical gold is risky
2. Storing gold in a bank etc incurs an overhead with insurance. This makes the % return on gold investments less attractive.
3. Good rises have been made to date but there is no guarantee it will continue. Normally when the masses wade in, its time to get out.
4. Gold markets can crash very fast. Rapidly disposing of your physical assets can be very difficult and you will probably miss the boat.
5. Places that sell you gold and retain it for you (giving you just a piece of paper) are running glorified Ponzi schemes.

If anyone wants a link to a good site that avoids a lot of the problems uncle c raises pm me!

I think gold has still a way to go yet 25% this year

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think gold has still a way to go yet 25% this year

as it has done so or thereabouts for the past 5 years on average, over ~300% price rise in since 2005. i'm often thinking of investing gold, but it looks alot like a bubble to me: previous 25 years price stuck to a $300-$450 range.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
A few people have been saying that gold will be a good investment for 2011 what do nsc experts say

A few years ago when prices were low (like when Brown sold off some of our reserves) i'd have agreed, however when there is a risk of or even a recession / down turn, thats when people start to invest in gold - now however is probably a bit late and if there are to be price rises, they won't be as big as they may have been if brought a few years ago

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Balderdash, all the smart money will be invested in Private Seat Licences at the Amex this year ??????

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Balderdash, all the smart money will be invested in Private Seat Licences at the Amex this year ??????

I put all my money in Pipex about 3 years ago. Just sitting back and waiting for cash to start rolling in.

Can anybody tell me the current share price? I can't seem to find it anywhere at the moment?

:jester:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I put all my money in Pipex about 3 years ago. Just sitting back and waiting for cash to start rolling in.

Can anybody tell me the current share price? I can't seem to find it anywhere at the moment?

:jester:

Not quoted and re-branded, still doing well though.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here