Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You're giving Joe Public too much credit there. Most people either don't care or are simply unaware about such things.

HTC, Motorola et al along with Google, of course, have done a great job with the Android handsets which is why, finally, there is some much-needed competition to the iPhone. It's taken bloody long enough! Competition is good for everyone, of course, so it will be interesting to see the new iPhone in a month or so. Officially, at least, anyway.

Fair enough - I'm sure that Joe Public doesn't really care about operating system per se but the open nature of Android does mean that more vendors can hop on the bandwagon - which, of course, brings prices down.

That would be an insane thing for Adobe to do. They would lose millions of pounds.

Agree totally. Not even heard a suggestion of such a move from Adobe - that would screw up their entire customer base.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That would be an insane thing for Adobe to do. They would lose millions of pounds.

would they? what about the money they stand to lose from Flash being pused out of the market? whats the PC installed user base compared to the Mac user base? Theres probably already far larger PC base. The days of these tools being better on Mac have long past and many media companies IT dept would love the excuse to dump Macs. Its a bit of a nuclear option, but if they feel that they cannot support Apple anymore, who are attempting to kill off Flash, they might decide its worth the risk. But as i say, nd to vaguly on topic, Apple have probably assessed this possibilty and accept it. and if they do kill Flash i'd probably buy Jobs a drink :whisky:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is a pretty simple one really. Adobe make MILLIONS from their products being sold with Apple. If they took that away, they would lose MILLIONS. No two ways about it, they would lose a HUGE amount of money.

Surely they're not so petty/bitter they would be willing to risk going bust (and lose a massive share of the market) just to stick two fingers up at Apple?

I thought it was generally agreed "in the industry" that Flash has been dying for a while now. It slows websites right down and is very annoying if it's not vital to a website's functioning.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Wired magazine app on the app store uses a modified version of Flash and is getting great reviews.

Adobe is not stupid, as mellotron says they would lose millions if they dropped their Mac products. The web is not all about Flash!

As for playing DVD's on the IPad, that's so old tech! You can stream HD rips via wifi to it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
MD + TD at work have been very quiet all day after picking theirs up this morning. Was given the choice of one, or a 13" MBP with an SSD HDD, gone for the MBP!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As for playing DVD's on the IPad, that's so old tech! You can stream HD rips via wifi to it.

But I've got loads of box sets I like watching. Lob a disc in, job done.

Is it worth having a laptop AND an iPad ? Not really. And I'd have seriously considered it, as my laptops 5 years old now, and I still have no m key. But I think my £450 nicker will go on a decent new lappy. The iPads a flash looking bit of kit, but its just a big iPod Touch that you can't carry around as easily, and is actually quite awkward to hold. I certainly wouldn't want to sit there watching a 2 hour film on it - hands should be occupied with a beer, or a good nosepick, not propping that thing up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is a pretty simple one really. Adobe make MILLIONS from their products being sold with Apple. ...

Surely they're not so petty/bitter they would be willing to risk going bust (and lose a massive share of the market) just to stick two fingers up at Apple?

Adobe make millions selling applications. they just happen to sell alot to Mac users. they've already sold the existing installations, thats banked. if they drop support for the next installment of Photoshop, and if (big if) its significant enough an upgrade, the users will move to PC for that upgrade. Studios need the Adobe software more than they do the Mac OS. They dont risk market share really as theres no real competition. They must be really pissed at Apple, because underneath the Cult of Jobism, the real success of the Mac is owed to Adobe (and Quark) supporting the platform. im not adovating it, just relaying some theory that does add up a little and it will be interesting to see how the Apple v Adobe fight pans out.

untill Apple lock that out at the behest of the media companies, or to protect iFilms...

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
20 pages debating an Apple product.....brilliant. You wouldnt get this for the latest piece of trash from Microsoft or some Dell rubbish or whatever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here