Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can see it as a device for non techie computer people who just want to surf the web, watch a movie, play a game, listen to music,read a book, send an email in a very simplistic fashion.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
£429 is the base model :thumbsup:

plus an Ipad is easier to use, doesn't need updates every other day and software is cheaper!

But you can't use Iplayer or sites that use flash?

And there's no USB lead to plug things in like a printer?

Seems a little odd to me, I'd rather have an Iphone.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Pluses, its much lighter than a laptop, has huge battery life, doesn't emit any heat

Minuses: No USB ports (what? why?), doesn't support flash, software has to be approved by Apple, doesn't do third-party multi-tasking, onscreen keyboard has flaws

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...software is cheaper!

how do make that out? i can do just about anything an ipad can with free software on a laptop/netbook.

i wait to see how well it sells after the technogeeks and apple fanbois have all bought in. i've seen it in use on a train, it is very slick and i think, i'd like somthing like that... then i noticed the hassle of holding it (guy almost dropped it a dozen times). i still maintain is about 2x too big. i've seen a competitor (dell or HP?) have gone for something half the size and will watch that with much more interest.

I think it would actually be very useful for me. We can't get English newspapers here and it would be perfect way of being able to sit in the garden (or on the loo) reading the paper.

OK I could do that on a laptop but it's not the same.

But 500 quid or so is a lot to pay just for that, although it's a one-off cost.

If i was a newspaper proprietor I would be looking at ways of selling them at a heavily discounted price if you take out a paid subscription to my newspaper - the same business model as for mobile phones.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As with the Iphone/Itouch non slip covers can be purchased!

:lolol: "there's an accessory for that"

actually the problem was how he balanced it on his arm, presumably so he wouldnt get cramp holding it outwards as he hunched over the device.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think it would actually be very useful for me. We can't get English newspapers here and it would be perfect way of being able to sit in the garden (or on the loo) reading the paper.

OK I could do that on a laptop but it's not the same.

But 500 quid or so is a lot to pay just for that, although it's a one-off cost.

If i was a newspaper proprietor I would be looking at ways of selling them at a heavily discounted price if you take out a paid subscription to my newspaper - the same business model as for mobile phones.

£500 is indeed a lot to read a paper on the bog

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
how do make that out? i can do just about anything an ipad can with free software on a laptop/netbook.

i wait to see how well it sells after the technogeeks and apple fanbois have all bought in. i've seen it in use on a train, it is very slick and i think, i'd like somthing like that... then i noticed the hassle of holding it (guy almost dropped it a dozen times). i still maintain is about 2x too big. i've seen a competitor (dell or HP?) have gone for something half the size and will watch that with much more interest.

I sat opposite a guy with you the other day; I was working on my netbook with great ease, while he was holding it awkwardly, it does look a bit uncomfortable - perhaps someone could develop a type of sling to hold it.

It is an extraordinary device: bigger than an iPhone and not so powerful, bigger than a netbook, yet nowhere near as powerful and yet, people will queue up for hours to get one.

Just seen this Tweet. "Apple Regent St, clapping and cheering cos someone spent £700. Jobs a genius...."

I have to agree: Apple is far more closed, controlling and manipulative company than Microsoft, yet Jobs is perceived as a folk hero while Gates/Ballmer are seen as tyrants - Steve Jobs must be the brilliant marketer that ever lived.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Just posted this using my iPad. Damn it's sexy. Got mine last night, and couldn't put it down.

Touching is believing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Due to the school run, I couldn't get to one of our two Apple Stores at 8am so wandered into PC World at 9am and picked up mine there. Job done. (Done by Jobs?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here