Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What for though? Genuine question. I would be tempted if I commuted to london and back on the train every day, I can't think of many other excuses to get what is no doubt a fun bit of kit.

I imagine I've posted this elsewhere on this thread but in case not...

- Home browsing and general content consumption. Chez Bozza the Macbook Pro is the machine of choice and it's a bundle to get on that first. Whoever loses that fight generally uses their iPod Touch for browsing/Facebook/Twitter/other app usage. The Touch is fine for that, but is a wee bit small - the iPad's fantastic screen would make this experience a lot nicer. So it would be our coffee table always-on pick-up-and-play browsing device (note: we don't actually have a coffee table).

In fact it will be interesting to see if the quickest mover, in my house, goes for the iPad first or if the Macbook is still the machine of choice.

- Travel 'content consumption'. I don't do a massive amount of travel any more but for train journeys and flights it would be perfect for watching video
and games playing. Likewise my daughter would use it for car journeys - again the screen is so much better than her iPod Touch for this.

- In bed 'TV'. We don't have a TV in the bedroom but occasionally I want to watch something in bed. The iPad would be brilliant for this using TVCatchup.

- eBook reading. I don't read as much as I'd like, but I'd certainly give eBooks a go and it might get me into reading a bit more again.

I really don't see it as a device I'd lump around with me as a matter of course and as such I don't think the 3G models are for me. The Wifi models would be fine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
1. Heavy. It is a lot heavier than I expected - you'll want to support your arms or wrists for anything more than a few minutes of use.

i saw somthing the other day that adresses this, not sure if it was real or a mock up though. It was a folding sleave/cover that folded out into a vertical stand for watching, or horizontal slopped support for aiding typing/visual angle. in the latter mode it looked like an Amiga, which is always good. but that weight is going to be an issue for acceptance as a portable media reader, and isnt that its niche?

These 15 minutes have reinforced that I want one muchly. This device will be a massive success.

i still cant see a general market for it, and for the price its competing with far more capable, albeit heavier, laptops.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
i still cant see a general market for it, and for the price its competing with far more capable, albeit heavier, laptops.

Apart from Apple Fanboys it really hasnt got one that I can find, as a reader it' easily the worst on the market, without flash it'll soon be outclasses by anything running android in the internet tablet sector and it's obviously not a media player, most people would be much better off with a phone, this device doesnt bring enough extra to the table to warrant the increased size and thus loss of mobility

i saw somthing the other day that adresses this, not sure if it was real or a mock up though. It was a folding sleave/cover that folded out into a vertical stand for watching, or horizontal slopped support for aiding typing/visual angle.

I've seen something like that but even better - it actually had a keyboard incorporated into the base to compliment the touchscreen! And it allowed multiple applications open as it was running Windows XP, with 1GB RAM amd a 30GB HDD! The screen was only 7" mind, but the price was £169! The phone incorporated in it is a Skype phone, so cheap or even free calls there if you can find a free wi-fi spot.
Elonex Websurfer Connect 7 Photo
Hang on, this is an old bit of kit no longer available.....so what exactly is the advantage of this new i-slab?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
UK pricing announced, launch still scheduled for 28th May.

16GB WiFi-only £429
32GB WiFi-only £499
64GB WiFi-only £599
16GB WiFi+3G £529
32GB WiFi+3G £599
64GB WiFi+3G £699

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
£529 for WiFi+3G

Presumably that'll also be + some kind of monthly contract as well ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
£529 for WiFi+3G

Presumably that'll also be + some kind of monthly contract as well ?

The 3g deals have not been announced yet so it could be possible that PAYG options will be available and it's also possible that contract packages will subsidise the price of the iPad itself.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
UK iPad pre-order day is upon us.

As I type the Apple Store is down, which means it will probably come back up with details.

Stumpy Tim

Pre-ordered mine down here. 3G & Wirless, 32GB version. Seeing as I work for a Web 2.0 software company I'm hoping it's going to show us as an innovative company with all the gadgets. I'm not expecting great things but I have had a play on one & it is COOL

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The person opposite me had an iPad on the train home, looked OK however appeared somewhat plastic to say the least around the back

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The person opposite me had an iPad on the train home, looked OK however appeared somewhat plastic to say the least around the back

Luckily it's aluminium!

inside-the-ipad-100408-02.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Pre-orders all en-route now and they'll be in Apple Stores at 8am on Friday morning, which is quite a surprise.

Also the DSG Group (Dixons, Currys and PC World) will be having some early doors too as part of an exclusive with Apple.

I didn't get round to pre-ordering due to the distractions of a baby, but I might try and get to one of our two local Apple Stores early on Friday if I can.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Its a strange one - twice the price of a laptop. Too big to carry with you all the time. Im not sure where it going to fit into the market?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Its a strange one - twice the price of a laptop. Too big to carry with you all the time. Im not sure where it going to fit into the market?

Apple nuts who just want a bigger version of the thing already sitting in their pocket

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here