2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Apologies - nodded off whilst watching the NCAA Final four...

In my opinion the size and quality of the screen is what sets it apart - watching movies, reading books or mags and browsing tinternet is so much better than on the iphone (and I should know as I have 2 of them)

I agree that its $$$ and that there isnt currently a huge number of apps that take advantage but based on the past 48 hours alone, it wont be long till there are more coming on the app store.

I think peeps back home will be pleasantly surprised once you get your hands on it - Lets just hope they dont do the same release day activities as they did here (at the NYC SOHO store) where there was a huge gang of staff cheering and applauding as you entered and exited. Although they did give every customer (and I mean everyone) a dedicated member of staff to guide you through from start to finish which was a nice touch !

If anyone has any questions about it, Im happy to have a go at answering them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No Flash, and no multi-tasking. So you can't even browse the web or piss about with a spreadhseet whilst listening to some choons.
I'm sure its a great bit of kit in many other ways, but those are two maHOOsive bollocks dropped by Apple right there.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It certainly seems like it is not very popular, I guess all the "super-informed and always right" at the beginning of this thread were right.

Oh, delayed into the UK due to massive demand in the US.

Get used to it, the iPad is [going to be] HUGE

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oh, delayed into the UK due to massive demand in the US.

is that the whole story? i recall a few weeks ago reading they had prodcution issues.

and your right, it is HUGE. :lolol:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Can anyone explain what the i-pad is actualy for? I'm not an apple hater, their computers are nice but vastly overpriced and I think the i phone is a lovely bit of kit , but I just don't get what the i-pad does that isn't covered by a mobile phone or a laptop.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
finally the iStand is out!

86a1b3b0dd0fad51c59eee0.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm writing a piece about this.

It's fair to say that there's a lot of suspicion about this "high US demand". After the first weekend of sales, two analyst firms marked down yearly sales estimates for iPad. And Morgan Stanley sees the iPad lagging behind other devices.
CHART OF THE DAY: iPad Estimate Sales Vs. iPhone, iPod, Nintendo

ZD has reported that there are still plenty of iPads in stores
The Toybox mobile edition

The strongest suggestion is that Apple has got a few supply chain problems. Even a Mac site (such as this one Technology News: Computers: iPad Delay: Is Apple's Supply Chain Allergic to New iThings?) suggests that is the case. Although that piece also quotes an analyst as saying this supposed "high demand" is actually part of Apple's marketing strategy.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Visited the Apple Store in Boston today and they had 12 ipads out on display for the customers to play with, there was plenty of interest although I didnt see anyone buy one.

I was a complete skeptic about these but seeing and touching them I can see the appeal, although there are issues around some of the technical capabilities they are wonderful in their look and feel. My biggest problem is the size of the storage its simply no enough for a media device in this day an age but I think they will be a hit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Amazingly one has just appeared in the office - a colleague has just returned from the States. We don't have a wireless network in the office so couldn't check anything that required online connectivity.

But initial feedback from first 15 minutes of hands-on play...

1. Heavy. It is a lot heavier than I expected - you'll want to support your arms or wrists for anything more than a few minutes of use.

2. Screen - very high quality - watched a few minutes of video - music vids and West Wing and the quality is superb. But the finger prints of previous use did distract from that a bit. I don't notice this on my Touch so might just be the effect of stark office lighting.

3. Speed - everything is super slick, as reports suggest.

4. Games / scaling - played a snowboarding game that was on it. I'm not sure but I assume this is a native Touch/iPhone game that has been scaled. It still looked and played fine.

First play with an iPad. Gimme gimme gimme... on Twitpic

These 15 minutes have reinforced that I want one muchly. This device will be a massive success.

/fanboi-off

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
These 15 minutes have reinforced that I want one muchly. This device will be a massive success.

/fanboi-off

What for though? Genuine question. I would be tempted if I commuted to london and back on the train every day, I can't think of many other excuses to get what is no doubt a fun bit of kit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm more excited by the look of that new iPhone. It looks BEAUTIFUL.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Rip-off Britain is still going strong, I see...
Apple iPad - Yahoo! News UK

What a complete non story.

Firstly it does say

Apple has said it will not reveal the official price until May 10, when orders open.

Secondly the majority of Apple products are more expensive over here so it'll hardly come as a surprise if they are. For example the new 15in 2.53ghz MacBookPro in the states are $1999 (about £1300) and over here they are £1650.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports