Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm still wondering why having the choice between tens of thousands of apps is supposed to be a great thing, when having the choice between thousands of PC programs was a BAD THING.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You are seriously going to make a phone call with a placemat ?

Yep you probably would.

I wonder if the railway companies will change the design of carriages to encompass these massive new mobile phones :lolol::lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm sure there are millions of hyprocritical Apple addicts referring to it as business acumen after years of bitching about the same behaivour from Microsoft.

Honestly, I still am unsure what the reason is (that we all know apparently), are you saying the reason for no Flash on iPhone etc is because of the Apps in Appstore? Is that the reason, or are there other factors why Apple has refused to add Flash?

Forget all the other guff, I don't care about opinions about Microsoft/Apple, history, hypocritical, acumen etc. I have my own mind, and am able to make it up all by myself about what I buy, regardless of what the likes of Apple, Microsoft and others put in their marketing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Honestly, I still am unsure what the reason is (that we all know apparently), are you saying the reason for no Flash on iPhone etc is because of the Apps in Appstore? Is that the reason, or are there other factors why Apple has refused to add Flash?

Forget all the other guff, I don't care about opinions about Microsoft/Apple, history, hypocritical, acumen etc. I have my own mind, and am able to make it up all by myself about what I buy, regardless of what the likes of Apple, Microsoft and others put in their marketing.

I'm sure and it wasn't directed at you. To be honest I'm quite the same, but I having a little chuckle at the Apple Geeks who having looked down on the rest of the industry for years are no finding their own company being just as aggressive and arrogant.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just be honest Apple fans, your days of basking smugly in the heat of Apple being "kinda different and cool..." are over. They are just another computer and software manufacturer trying their damn hardest by whatever means possible to make sure you only buy their products.

You're strangely bitter about Apple's success, aren't you?

Are you stuck in a short on Apple stock or something?

Breathe deeply and count to 10. Maybe take a quick walk outside and get some fresh air.

Completely putting the iPad aside for now - I certainly don't have any perception of Apple products, including those I own, as being 'different' or 'cool' (your words, not mine). But I do know that the ones I have work damned well for what I want them to do. My Mac is a perfect home family computer - it does all we want to well. And nicely. And securely.

I'd have no hesitation in ditiching Apple if and when something better comes along next time I need to buy, especially if it means I don't have to pay the 'Apple tax'.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hands Free kit out next month apparantly

101880_pet_1236137250.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not not at all, just the people who think that buying a piece of metal from on one large American corporation than another makes you cool.

It doesn't.

Right. I've never met such a person and, as above, I'm certainly not one myself.

Hell, I have to live with the knowledge that every time I pull my Macbook out on the train there's you, and those like you, silently sneering "wanker" in my general direction. But I manage to cope. Just.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Right. I've never met such a person and, as above, I'm certainly not one myself.

Hell, I have to live with the knowledge that every time I pull my Macbook out on the train there's you, and those like you, silently sneering "wanker" in my general direction. But I manage to cope. Just.

i must say i do find that a little surprising, (that you havent met any i mean) as there are many such at my work place who buy apple, simple because they are trendy to own. One girl i worked with had no idea that you could buy a mp3 player (etc) that wasnt an Ipod.

Im not an apple hater by any means, i just find this Steve Jobs is a god thing kind of tiring, when it appears to me that they exploit brand loyalty as much as other companies who are openly vilified. This talk of the need for a 'middle device' between laptops and smartphones is (to me) a bit much.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am actually a convert and they are very good to say the least.

I have always rated Dell but this iMac is very good and the iPod touch is a superb bit of portable kit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can't buy Apple products because it means that one day I might have to go into one of their stores and that thought, quite frankly, scares me. Horrible places. Urgh.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Now who is sensitive :lol:

I think their laptops and systems are great if over priced. Functionally they are always going to operate more smoothly since the company have control over both hardware and software. I always respected their independence and the way their satisfied their loyal customer base. In that market they are an old fashioned systems builder, their products being crafted rather than simply bolted together.

( But admittedly I've never one to buy something on the basis that it looks good )

Now they have moved into the "things you don't really need" market sector, I find amusing the millions of people waiting in ancipation for the next Apple product whatever it may be.

There is something very Willy Wonka about them.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i must say i do find that a little surprising, (that you havent met any i mean) as there are many such at my work place who buy apple, simple because they are trendy to own. One girl i worked with had no idea that you could buy a mp3 player (etc) that wasnt an Ipod.

I'm not aware of anyone at my work owning an Apple computing device, so within that null set, it's going to be as difficult to find someone who thinks that they/it are 'cool' as it is to find someone who doesn't.

Im not an apple hater by any means, i just find this Steve Jobs is a god thing kind of tiring, when it appears to me that they exploit brand loyalty as much as other companies who are openly vilified. This talk of the need for a 'middle device' between laptops and smartphones is (to me) a bit much.

Of course there is no absolute 'need'. There's no absolute need for much of the crap we fill our lives with. Apple think there's a niche and the great unwashed public will determine whether or not they are right or not. Apple have failed before, they will do again.

As I've said, the iPad looks like it will fit well in our house where we don't either want or need another full-blown proper-OS-driven device.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As I've said, the iPad looks like it will fit well in our house where we don't either want or need another full-blown proper-OS-driven device.

seriously, as you seem rather keen, where do you see the iPad fitting into your house/life?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
With regards to the iPad I can see no use for this at all for our house apart from being just another gadget.

Bit like satnav, thought about it but no real point as for the few long journeys we do I print a route.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I fail to see an issue here. If someone likes the product and can afford it why should they not buy it? Personally I can't see myself having any use for it so will not get one but if I liked it I would. People buy all sorts of thngs they have no real need for but they enjoy them so why not?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
seriously, as you seem rather keen, where do you see the iPad fitting into your house/life?

A copy and paste from what I typed earlier in this thread is below...

There tends to be a bit of a scrap for the Macbook Pro I'm currently writing on and the 'loser' will invariably use one of the iPod Touches for web, Facebook and Twitter stuff over one of the yucky PC laptops in the house.

I've held off a netbook purchase, even resisting Hackintoshing something to see just what the iPad was going to be. And, to be honest, a jumbo-sized Touch suits our needs fine - web, Facebook, Twitter, games and then using iPlayer, TVCatchup to watch video content in bed etc.

I'm not sure why we'd want much storage space on board - we won't use it for music, mainly video or maybe books. eBooks don't take up much space at all and, when at home, the Air Video app allows you to stream video content from other machines in the house.

The question will be whether to go for a 3g version. It would be nice if I could plug in one of my 3g dongles for internet access when required.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not not at all, just the people who think that buying a piece of metal from on one large American corporation than another makes you cool.

It doesn't.

I'm sorry that you've clearly come across people like that. There are none of them here though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here