2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Flash is a bloated, memory hogging, insecure piece of shit and the sooner it disappears from the web, the better. It is also proprietary which means Adobe can do what they like with it. Would you want to stifled because of a competitors product?

HTML 5 / CSS and JavaScript are just as good, if not better than Flash, and these are open standards that everybody can use.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Flash is a bloated, memory hogging, insecure piece of shit and the sooner it disappears from the web, the better. It is also proprietary which means Adobe can do what they like with it. Would you want to stifled because of a competitors product?

HTML 5 / CSS and JavaScript are just as good, if not better than Flash, and these are open standards that everybody can use.

What do you suggest they replace Flash with? If people started using Silverlight this is also proprietary which means Microsoft can do what they like with it too.

Apple was all about freedom, but I'm afraid over the last few years Apple are as bad as Microsoft for locking people down within their products and taking away your choice, which is why I have been happily using Ubuntu on my home machine for the last 2 years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's a matter of choice at the end of the day, rather like buying a car. You get the best car you want but they do things differently from another make. Frankly there's now not much difference between a Mac and a Windows 7 PC but each to their own. However, the fact is that apart from the Graphics Department you hardly ever see a Mac in a work environment and that's not just about cost. The vast majority of business and industrial products don't work on Macs as well.

Macs make sound sense in a home environment but then so does a PC. You pays your money and takes you choice although personally there's no real point in somebody like me owning a Mac as I make my living supporting some of the millions of PCs that are out there.

It is fair to say though that Apple are far more innovative than their competitors, they lead an others follow.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
When Apple's finished using this to test the market we'll get an HD, 19:9, 160gb, HDMI, camera-laden, 2ghz one.

Think I'll wait.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
ok so I go and buy me Ipad to go with my iphone and I don't need to buy the 3g option for my ipad as I can use my iphone as 3g modem via bluetooth. Why can't other IT companies do this, why is it only Apple that sets the pace.

I then store my music in that apple software what is it you call it Istuck ??

I know, I know the title said stay away :)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So basically, Nikolai Valuev has gone to Apple and said "could you please make an iPod for people of my size", and this thing is the result?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There's nothing wrong with this but it remains to be seen if the average person will be willing to lug one about. An Iphone and it's rivals like the Google Nexus can already do most of what the Ipad does but has the advantage of fitting into a pocket or handbag.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For those of us who don't speak geekazoid and have only a passing interest(at best) in these kind of things, can someone explain what it's for?

I get the i-pod, it's a music player with a few extra bits. I get the i-phone, it's a phone with an i-pod attached(plus internet?). I get the i-mac, it's a desk top computer. I get the macbook, it's a laptop. But what the hell is this new one? If I had one what would I use it for?

this is the problem in a nutshell. ipod, iphone (and smart phones), imacs (and PCs), macbook (and generic laptops) all serve a specific purpose. they all appeal to non-geeks too because the funtion is very worthwhile.

ebooks like the Kindle are starting to take off as people see the benefit of carrying around an entire library in one device, but they are still a little bit for the geeky/gadget freaks (cost probably main issue though). Tablet PC have been around for years but dont seem to attract much interest as they dont doo much more than a normal laptop other than allow portrait view of documents.

so what exactly does the iPad offer new, or importantly what does it offer to do better than all the others for the average person?

even the fanbois cannot be impressed with whats been launched. this needs handwriting recognition and multitasking to be usful.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There's nothing wrong with this but it remains to be seen if the average person will be willing to lug one about. An Iphone and it's rivals like the Google Nexus can already do most of what the Ipad does but has the advantage of fitting into a pocket or handbag.

Exactly.
As a portable device, its too big. As a desktop device, well, its basically a touchscreen laptop but without as much functionality.

I was interested to see what this thing is about, but from what I've gleaned so far, Its a MISS for me. As someone else has said, I really don't think there is a "gap to fill" between an iPhone / iPod Touch and a lappy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Exactly.
As a portable device, its too big. As a desktop device, well, its basically a touchscreen laptop but without as much functionality.

I was interested to see what this thing is about, but from what I've gleaned so far, Its a MISS for me. As someone else has said, I really don't think there is a "gap to fill" between an iPhone / iPod Touch and a lappy.

I could definately use it to fill a gap, there is my wobbly dining table for one.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
we all know why they've done it.

Genuine question, why have they done it? I honestly dont think I know, unless it is that thing about not being able to sell Apps from the Appstore, in which case, that's called business acumen.

Flash isn't the be all and end all is it? It's not on my iPod Touch, can't say I've missed it. In fact, we just took the Flash bit off the homepage of oldfootballshirts.com as it was apparently taking up a huge amount of server resource, replaced it with an HTML script, and it looks just the same, and uses 5% of the resource the Flash one did.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Totally weapon.

200710291122.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Genuine question, why have they done it? I honestly dont think I know, unless it is that thing about not being able to sell Apps from the Appstore, in which case, that's called business acumen.

I'm sure there are millions of hyprocritical Apple addicts referring to it as business acumen after years of bitching about the same behaivour from Microsoft.

Flash is a bloated, memory hogging, insecure piece of shit and the sooner it disappears from the web,
.. but it's everywhere at the moment. I guess we'll call that iArrogance, I let them have that for free.

It appears that if Microsoft create a closed incompatible technology they are the devil, but when Apple do it's "kinda neat in a kinda neat kind of way..."

.. and it isn't just Flash, there are a number of examples of Apple attempting to shut the door when other manufacturers try and interface with their technology.

Just be honest Apple fans, your days of basking smugly in the heat of Apple being "kinda different and cool..." are over. They are just another computer and software manufacturer trying their damn hardest by whatever means possible to make sure you only buy their products.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports