Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I posted a link to this video earlier but it's been taken off YT on that link, so another link before Apple get it wiped off the face of the earth...

[yt]lsjU0K8QPhs[/yt]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unbelievably it doesn't have flash, so that's a big fail on the web browsing front.

Are people simply innocently naive or just stupid?

Flash = lots of free browser based gaming = less need to buy games from the Appstore = less revenue for Apple.

It's not unbelievable at all.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

Flash = lots of free browser based gaming = less need to buy games from the Appstore = less revenue for Apple.

You DON'T think that it's unbelievable that Apple make a large proportion of web functionality unavailable to its users just so that it can maximise revenue on their app store? Really? I'm neither naive or stupid (thanks) but I do find it amazing. Would it be acceptable if IE didn't allow you to access competitor websites?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

So basically the Microsoft of the mobile device world....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You DON'T think that it's unbelievable that Apple make a large proportion of web functionality unavailable to its users just so that it can maximise revenue on their app store? Really? I'm neither naive or stupid (thanks) but I do find it amazing. Would it be acceptable if IE didn't allow you to access competitor websites?

I don't think it's unbelievable, no.

And I'm not sure, in my 18 months or so of owning an iPod Touch, that there has been a single thing I've been unable to do on it due to lack of Flash availability. Youtube, iPlayer and TVCatchup are all examples of video content without needing to use Flash.

Beyond that, Flash is a resource hog that is going to become more and more irrelevant over coming years.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't think it's unbelievable, no.

And I'm not sure, in my 18 months or so of owning an iPod Touch, that there has been a single thing I've been unable to do on it due to lack of Flash availability. Youtube, iPlayer and TVCatchup are all examples of video content without needing to use Flash.

Beyond that, Flash is a resource hog that is going to become more and more irrelevant over coming years.

Seagulls World ?

The technical problems are a bit of a red herring as you've stated above, we all know why they've done it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's basically a computer disguised as a coffee table book.

and thats being generous. doesnt multitask (basic PC function since window 3.1) and apparently doesnt run Flash, which could be a bonus making many sites ad free, but means those sites arent exactly going to be keen to attract iPad viewers.

the very first impression i had was, too big. its not any smaller than a netbook, in fact i think its bigger.

i've read the price is $500-700 rather than $1000 so if it makes it to £400-550 thats a reasonable price. except its still dearer than a netbook, many decent notebooks and entry level one doesnt have 3G, so is basically a large iPod Touch. It doesnt have a drive to playback DVDs and LCD doesnt really properly as book reading replacment (iBooks might try to change this). best comment on another forum:
But I'll add a keyboard to be useful, maybe I could use the keyboard to protect the screen when not in use too! Oh, wait, I've already got one.

i'm still struggling to see where its market will be.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
I love apple, I have an iphone, powerbook, iMac etc, but this has no appeal to me, an oversize iPhone, Mr Jobs claims it fills the gap between smartphone and laptop, as far as I am concerned there is no gap, I would rather have a Mac Air than an iTablet, I expect I will be wrong, but can't seeing this fly out of the stores.

Oct 20, 2004
walsall

That is a little harsh, I am able to access all rival sites on my Macs, I grant you the iPhone has limitations in web browsing, but that is where it ends.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I love apple, I have an iphone, powerbook, iMac etc, but this has no appeal to me, an oversize iPhone, Mr Jobs claims it fills the gap between smartphone and laptop, as far as I am concerned there is no gap, I would rather have a Mac Air than an iTablet, I expect I will be wrong, but can't seeing this fly out of the stores.

Agreed entirely up 'til the last bit - it'll sell by the bucketload!

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Never used it on any computer. Seriously.

To be fair the broadcasters of Seagulls world and the other Clubs world sites are just lazy and not wishing to spend money to bring their package into the modern web age, all major broadcasters produce sites that can be viewed on whatever operating system you are running

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I might get a MacBook instead, and keep my iPhone. Hmm decisions, decisions.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be fair the broadcasters of Seagulls world and the other Clubs world sites are just lazy and not wishing to spend money to bring their package into the modern web age, all major broadcasters produce sites that can be viewed on whatever operating system you are running

They've come with a way of doing it - it's Apple that are lagging behind.

Prior to the current version of the site, it can be strongly argued that it (again) was Apple's fault for their refusal to licence their in house DRM technology.

Apple are far from blameless for incompatibility problems.

They appear to be turning into the 21st century Microsoft.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
For those of us who don't speak geekazoid and have only a passing interest(at best) in these kind of things, can someone explain what it's for?

I get the i-pod, it's a music player with a few extra bits. I get the i-phone, it's a phone with an i-pod attached(plus internet?). I get the i-mac, it's a desk top computer. I get the macbook, it's a laptop. But what the hell is this new one? If I had one what would I use it for?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
For those of us who don't speak geekazoid and have only a passing interest(at best) in these kind of things, can someone explain what it's for?

I get the i-pod, it's a music player with a few extra bits. I get the i-phone, it's a phone with an i-pod attached(plus internet?). I get the i-mac, it's a desk top computer. I get the macbook, it's a laptop. But what the hell is this new one? If I had one what would I use it for?

Reading books it would seem.:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here