Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2010: the year of the iPad / iSlate / Apple tablet (Apple haters move on please...)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
= 33,745,000 sales so far. So just a FEW "fanbois" then eh? It's spelt fanboYs, by the way.

:laugh:

How many of them bought the useless G1? Its only when they joined this century with a 3G handset that people outside the US started buying in any volume.

Also, when dealing with a smartphone market of >150M units a year, 33M total sales isn't that impressive. When dealing with a world market of about 2Bn phones, 33M over two and a bit years is a drop in the ocean. Nokia sell ~400M phones a year - 93M in the 2009 Q1 results, but Q4 has the highest sales.

Fanboi is a perfectly acceptable spelling, especially when dealing with the i-obsessed. I wouldn't be surprised if its the more common spelling overall. Either way, you fail horribly at trying to correct someone.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Edna, it will be overpriced, fabulous and just what you wouldn't need, but you'll possibly buy one anyway.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
Nokia sell ~400M phones a year - 93M in the 2009 Q1 results, but Q4 has the highest sales.

That's a stupid comparison as Nokia are selling a whole range of different models. Of course they will sell more in total. I'm sure if you found the highest selling Nokia phone it will have sold less than 33m.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Either way, you fail horribly at trying to correct someone.

No I don't. My post was entirely aimed at the fact you suggest that only fanboys buy iPhones. This is obviously bollocks, as you probably well know deep down. I just used a figure to prove that it was bollocks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My post was entirely aimed at the fact you suggest that only fanboys buy iPhones. This is obviously bollocks, as you probably well know deep down.

this is probably true. but it is also true that most people buy the iPhone because its "the" phone, though maybe also because they have a library of itunes music. most people dont buy iphone because of its abilities beyond this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
this is probably true. but it is also true that most people buy the iPhone because its "the" phone, though maybe also because they have a library of itunes music. most people dont buy iphone because of its abilities beyond this.

Yes, but it's "abilities" and "look" are what make it "the" phone in the first place, so all the same really.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I don't think that's true at ALL. The abilities beyond the music, are EXACTLY what people buy it for.

Not exactly the same product, I grant you, but my 9 year old got an i-pod touch for xmas, and he doesn't even like music. He ADORES the thing, and literally does not have ONE music track loaded on it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I don't think that's true at ALL. The abilities beyond the music, are EXACTLY what people buy it for.

Not exactly the same product, I grant you, but my 9 year old got an i-pod touch for xmas, and he doesn't even like music. He ADORES the thing, and literally does not have ONE music track loaded on it.

This.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No I don't. My post was entirely aimed at the fact you suggest that only fanboys buy iPhones. This is obviously bollocks, as you probably well know deep down. I just used a figure to prove that it was bollocks.

I was referring to your feeble attempt to pick holes over spelling.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Like everything else from Apple the I-Slate will be top drawer. As an original I-Phone owner,on pay as you go for a mere £10 per month and also having had a Macbook laptop for near on 2 years, i think their products are brilliant. Steve Jobs had a team of 10 working for two years to define and design the operating system and user interface for the I-Phone. The fact that it doubles up as an Ipod is even better.
I will monitor the I-Slate with considerable interest.
Main thing is that Apple products wet on anything Microsoft can even dream about.

Happy New Year

TNBA

TTF

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Not at all, I have an iPod Touch, I do listen to some music on mine, but I bought it specifically for the things it does other than music. I use it mainly for internet (when I can't get to a computer), videos, games (sad I know), YouTube, the eBay App, the Facebook and Myspace Apps, and emails.

Superwife got an iPhone for Xmas, and she loves it, for much the same reasons as above, and she does not have any music of videoas on it at all.

Yes, it is "The" phone, and that is why so many people have it. It is "The" phone for very good reasons.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I like the way youve chosen one brand there to comapre it to, Sony are also well known for charging an unwarranted premium, but atleast their PCs use an operating system worth the disk its printed on. Their walkmans have maintained a sound quality far superior to that of an ipod so actually do warrant the premiums. (Sound Quality > Crap Cameras). All in one windows PCs are an emerging market and until factors such as manufacturing costs drop, there will obviously be a higher price.

Apple iMac - 21.5-inch: 3.06GHz, 4gb memory e.t.c. as you listed. £949

Now forgetting places like PC World/Curries, you can pick up this for the same price.

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz @ 3.80GHz Quad Core DDR3 System [] Extreme Performance

- Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz Overclocked to 3.80GHz!
- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
- Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
- Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM
- LG GH22NS40 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound professionally hand installed by our technicians

Wont make sense to most people but the basics:

Quad Core @ 3.8ghz 6GB Ram 1TB Hard drive 22x DVD Drive, A Real graphics card not one designed for a laptop, e.t.c e.t.c e.t.c

Sounds impressive I am sure, just a shame there it doesn't come with anything to watch it on........

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The BIG decision I now have to make is whether to go out tonight, or to simply get a couple of stacks of Pringles in and watch the next 6 pages of this tonight

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not at all, I have an iPod Touch, I do listen to some music on mine, but I bought it specifically for the things it does other than music. I use it mainly for internet (when I can't get to a computer), videos, games (sad I know), YouTube, the eBay App, the Facebook and Myspace Apps, and emails.
Yes, it is "The" phone, and that is why so many people have it. It is "The" phone for very good reasons.

all things you can do on any other similar device. i dont think i put my point correctly, i mean technical abilities, apps can be deployed to any other device and some may well be superior but people will flock to the iphone anyway. just like itunes was the real story of ipod, app store is the real story behind iphone, the hardware itself is nearly inconsequential.

unless the itablet does something special or different, im not sure that people will chose it over a more portable iphone/ipod touch except the fanbois and trendies. (correct spelling btw).

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Mate, whatever, it's the season of goodwill, happy new year to you, have a great evening. All the best from someone who has a couple of iPods, but who is neither a fanboi or trendie

:drink::cheers::cheers::drink:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
27th January....

applecreativeevent_ars.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks like it may actually be the iPad now, which might be unfortunate...

[yt]A1BUH9eXy18[/yt]

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
*** Apple's New Creation - Official Thread ***

Apple's revolutionary new product - iTablet, iTab, iSlate, iSlab? Or a netbook? I wonder what Steve Jobs has in store.

All about to be revealed...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here