Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] 20 years on. Tony Martin.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I presume you are lucky enough not to have had the misfortune of finding an intruder in your home. It is scary as fruck. I can honestly say ones political leanings at such a time have absolutely no bearing on the decision making process that you decide to undertake in such a situation.

Unfortunately (or maybe not), unlike the US of A, we don’t have a shoot first ask questions later mentality. We have the law of “reasonable force”, which has probably prevented many an innocent “intruder” being blasted to death.

Having said all that common sense should also come into play, common sense is something the law struggles with, hence Martin’s conviction.

As an addendum, (Sir) Tony Martin used an illegal pump action shotgun, for which he held no license, and shot the intruders as they ran away from his property!

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What a strange thing to choose to celebrate? A hero would have pointed the gun at the young intruder and told him to be grateful to still be alive and to go away and think about it and change his life.

NSC is A broad church, but you sit right on the top step for oddballs.

......and then the intruder whips out a bloody great knife and lunges at you......presume you will continue your ' negotiations ' at that point.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If I grab my gun, will it satisfy or drive your blood lust?

My hope for you, is that you find some more positive purpose in life.

You clearly haven't been burgled and disturbed or caught the intruder/s in the act. It is the most stressful and terrifying experience that anyone can suffer. You feel defiled and it reduces some to a state where they cannot continue living in that property. I am certainly not condoning carrying firearms but it is sensible for any householder to make sure that they have some sort of protection close to hand.
You would do well to desist from these smug, glib comments and just be grateful that you haven't found yourself in this desperate situation. I can tell you that no one knows how they are going to react in these circumstances. The one thing that is certain, is that you do not remain calm.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What a strange thing to choose to celebrate? A hero would have pointed the gun at the young intruder and told him to be grateful to still be alive and to go away and think about it and change his life.

NSC is A broad church, but you sit right on the top step for oddballs.

......and then the intruder whips out a bloody great knife and lunges at you......presume you will continue your ' negotiations ' at that point.

......or intruder runs away and you shoot him dead as he flees!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If I grab my gun, will it satisfy or drive your blood lust?

My hope for you, is that you find some more positive purpose in life.

You clearly haven't been burgled and disturbed or caught the intruder/s in the act. It is the most stressful and terrifying experience that anyone can suffer. You feel defiled and it reduces some to a state where they cannot continue living in that property. I am certainly not condoning carrying firearms but it is sensible for any householder to make sure that they have some sort of protection close to hand.
You would do well to desist from these smug, glib comments and just be grateful that you haven't found yourself in this desperate situation. I can tell you that no one knows how they are going to react in these circumstances. The one thing that is certain, is that you do not remain calm.
My point is not to trivialise the impact of intruders in the home, which I am indeed fortunate not to have experienced, but to question the need to celebrate Tony Martin's actions.

If he did what anyone would do in the circumstances, why is it even noteworthy?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I have, on a couple of occasions but that's not really the point is it, we need laws that are balanced and sit above the emotion and reaction that we may have as victims. In Martin's case, remember that the courts rejected any notion that his actions were justified or reasonable - Accepting only that his actions were in part driven by some of his personality disorders meaning his conviction was changed to manslaughter. See also the comments of the parole board (whose decision was upheld in the high court) that Martin was a very dangerous man. By all means, one can sympathise with Martin but to celebrate him is not appropriate.

To add - You mention that 'no one knows how they are going to react in these circumstances' but also say 'You feel defiled and it reduces some to a state where they cannot continue living in that property' and 'The one thing that is certain, is that you do not remain calm' - Your first sentence is the correct bit, nobody does know but if you have booby trapped your stairs and are sitting waiting with a shotgun well, I think you've kind of premeditated your reaction.

While I'm challenging some of your points, I'm wholly empathetic to people who have been burgled, it can be life changing in many different ways. Even the small things like not being able to sit in the back garden without worrying if the front door is locked and window closed, double checking everything is locked and alarm set at night become an irritation....

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m sure it would be scary to be burgled, but there’s a bit of a suspicion that his actions weren’t entirely or mostly motivated by fear (evidenced by the shooting him after he had fled) . More by anger and prejudice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm fairly sure the reason he did time was not because he shot those pikeys, but because he shot them in the back as they attempted to flee through a window. That isn't self-defence. To be fair, I could understand if he felt the need to incapacitate/apprehend the burgulars until the rozzers turned up so I'd have had sympathy for Martin if he'd shot the burgular in the leg or something. But this sense he had of wanting to ensure justice is served does not trump the need to preserve these burgulars lives I'm afraid. There was no justification for indiscriminately shooting at their backs.

By the way, my brother once disturbed burgulars in our house when he was 16. Does that qualify me for being allowed to have an opinion on the matter?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m sure it would be scary to be burgled, but there’s a bit of a suspicion that his actions weren’t entirely or mostly motivated by fear (evidenced by the shooting him after he had fled) . More by anger and prejudice.

Anger and prejudice at least partly generated by having been targeted and burgled several times before. Still manslaughter though - the courts probably got the sentencing about right on this occasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here