Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20 Years ago today

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
What is noticeable is that the fans that came on from the North Stand appeared very young, looking like the majority were school-age kids, who probably didn't really know what it was all about at the outset and went along for the jolly.

What was equally noticeable was that horrible thug at around 6:00, who backed up my his "mates" was prepared to take on a fan from the South Stand who didn't think what they were doing was right!

Those horrible thugs have supported the Albion for 35 years and without these type of horrible thugs paying money at the goldstone, gillingham and withdean and following the Albion all over the country to places like Hartlepool our club would not be were it is today. A voice was heard that day made by passionate Albion fans who refused to watch the club die.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
That was the day things changed. No question. The fight back had begun .

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What is noticeable is that the fans that came on from the North Stand appeared very young, looking like the majority were school-age kids, who probably didn't really know what it was all about at the outset and went along for the jolly.

What was equally noticeable was that horrible thug at around 6:00, who backed up my his "mates" was prepared to take on a fan from the South Stand who didn't think what they were doing was right!

Those horrible thugs have supported the Albion for 35 years and without these type of horrible thugs paying money at the goldstone, gillingham and withdean and following the Albion all over the country to places like Hartlepool our club would not be were it is today. A voice was heard that day made by passionate Albion fans who refused to watch the club die.

Sorry, no excuse for the cowardly way that "fan" took on the bloke on his own, just 'cos he's paid his money!. I paid my money to watch the Albion at the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and The Amex and far flung outposts like Darlington and Wrexham and would never dream of treating another fan - home or away like that. The fact that it was a Brighton fan, who he obviously disagreed with makes it all the worse. Bullying thug of the worst type, wants to fight anyone!

Last edited:

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Peacefull protests had not worked,writing poems had not worked,direct action worked.I applaud everyone that made the choice that day to get the match abandoned,it worked.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I was there in the north stand, like a lot of people on here, but I don't think I went onto the pitch until the goal was broken, not sure.

In retrospect it's clear that this was the start of the mass non-acceptance of what was going on with the club. It ended up helping to channel the anger into a productive direction: it was definitely worth it. I'm still amazed every time I go to Falmer that the ground even exists. I do wonder if I will ever lose that feeling.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Brighton hooligans made the call,peacefull protests had not worked,direct action was needed.We had a meeting and deceided after much debate that game abandoned was the only call.3.15 pitch invasion and take the posts down.It was not an easy decision as we all love the Albion .Never before has an English game been abandoned in protest,that day we made history and i trully belive our actions saved the club.R.H Worthing lad should be a sussex legend for being the first man on.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I was one of the first on.

I used to have news footage of me running over the halfway line doing windmills with my arms.

:ffsparr:

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Like many I was in the north and went on once the invasion started. Thanks to all those that planned and led the way. Look at us now and let's help out the Charltons and Blackpools when we can.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here