Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20+ goals a season striker?

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
We're probably currently scouting an obscure wonderkid from the Azerbaijani second tier. Keep the faith.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't goal scoring that cost us promotion, it was conceding. .

I keep seeing this recently yet everyone was raving about our defence except for that sticky patch over Xmas when we played Boro. So who are we going to replace at the back and who are the better players we are likely to get. Got to confess I am struggling to think of a better back line at this level than Bruno, Goldson, Dunk, Bong and Stockdale. Apart from cover do we really expect to get a better defence in next season?

However I can definitely see plenty of room for improvement in our striker options :shrug:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Our only weakness is middle upfront. Baldock is a defiite no. Our outstanding play from wide positions has created loads of goals and chances. Our only problem has been when midfielders look to feed Hemed and Baldock they not only dont make themselves available and when they do unable to hold onto it. If sides stop our wingers and fullbacks overlapping we are stuffed.
Sorry to say think Hemed should be reserve and get somebody like Kodjia who was outstanding against us. Because he is young and will only get better would be happy to get Wilson because of his pace and directness

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tough of the Track? Nah professional Northerner and better at running than football?

**** me I'm showing my age

Limp-along Leslie Tomson then, if we're showing our age! I hear Darbury Rangers are a bit cash-strapped at the mo....................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
with the goals coming from elsewhere we dont necessarily need a 20+ scorer. a couple of 15+ would be good and gives cover for injury. we already have one in Hemed, so one more proven scorer. Baldock is a good support forward, but not providing the goals, Wilson maybe stay as a squad player might get a 10-12 with a run, but no great scorer, Zamora is gone. so we need at least two strikers to come in, one proven.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Wasn't Alf Tupper the tough of the track?

Yes he was and I bow to your superior knowledge
Must have been Billy's Boots as age has misted my mind but I got there in the end
93b4a2dd7b2df5620de0b9ec7b3d2378.jpg

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
This won't be popular, but i'd go for Dwight Gayle.
Yes, he's not been prolific, but he's not been given that much of a chance either. He is a tricky bugger, and knows where the goal is. He is someone a little more unpredicatble than what we currently have, much more likely to create something out of nothing.
I'm certain if he was given a full season, playing with Hemed and in front of our midfield, he'd contribute in a strike force that would hit 30-40 goals.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Wasn't goal scoring that cost us promotion, it was conceding. We were joint top goalscorers. We failed to get promotion due to a goal scored by Stuani on the 19th December!!!! (although no doubt there are other odd goals here or there that cost points but that was the goal which was the difference between us and Boro).

This one keeps getting trotted out. If there was a defensive problem it was in first half of season; an issue tied up with too many draws in the unbeaten run. In second half we conceded 19 goals, same as Boro and Hull. one more than SW and 11 fewer than Derby. Burnley were stand out (as they were on just about every stat in H2) with 12 conceded (2 against us). Had joint second most clean sheets (10) in H2. The fact remains we actually 'failed' in the unbeaten run. Post that we were 2nd, ahead of Boro on GD even including the 3-0 defeat.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Leicester were willing to sell Ulloa last summer but only got loan offers.
Our issue was too many draws away from home so we need a physical presence up front to convert some to wins.
Pace is also something we need so Kodiga would fit.
I have always liked Nakhi Wells at Huddersfield.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This won't be popular, but i'd go for Dwight Gayle.
Yes, he's not been prolific, but he's not been given that much of a chance either. He is a tricky bugger, and knows where the goal is. He is someone a little more unpredicatble than what we currently have, much more likely to create something out of nothing.
I'm certain if he was given a full season, playing with Hemed and in front of our midfield, he'd contribute in a strike force that would hit 30-40 goals.

Not an unpopular suggestion with me. Seems to know where the goal is (and has done it at a higher level). Rapid too.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Explain your numbers please, Marshy?

Hoping Bmuff kick Murray put for next to nothing... 1 million at most as a fee perhaps.... even though i would be uncomfortable with that given his age.

And then we pick up Vydra on a loan fee considerably less than what Reading paid for him this year...

Im hoping anyway

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
I keep seeing this recently yet everyone was raving about our defence except for that sticky patch over Xmas when we played Boro. So who are we going to replace at the back and who are the better players we are likely to get. Got to confess I am struggling to think of a better back line at this level than Bruno, Goldson, Dunk, Bong and Stockdale. Apart from cover do we really expect to get a better defence in next season?

However I can definitely see plenty of room for improvement in our striker options :shrug:

Rosenior for Bong - bong played like an absolute DONKEY in both play off legs

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Maybe, but we need decent backup for him, and a first-choice for the Sam B position... The usual complacent NSC bollox from you I'm afraid...

I think we're arguing 2 different points. Of course we need a new striker (your argument), but he doesn't have to get 20 goals becuase Hemed can do that (my argument). Even with Baldock getting only 2/3, we're not lacking for goals becuase we're the joint highest scorers in the Championship. It doesn't really matter who else scores as long as we have one goalscoring striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Rosenior for Bong - bong played like an absolute DONKEY in both play off legs

Not match fit and he improved as the second leg went on imo. Absolute quality before his injury, no way should Rosenior replace him..imo

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hemed and A.N.Other (Murray?) to be the physical striker.

A.N.Other 2 and Baldock to be the smaller, never-stop-running striker.

Knockaert, Skalak, March and Murphy feeding them.

I suddenly can't wait for August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here