Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20-30 tonight. Lockdown

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Only 2% of the land in Britain is built on. As for population explosion, the reality is the birth rate is dropping (although it may pick up again in 9 months time) and this pandemic is killing off people.

Indeed, in 2013/14 we will see the first of the Quarenteens

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I had to ask next door, and it’s concrete. I’m dreading it, to be honest.

Get in contact with your buildings insurance to see if you have trace & access cover. You might have it if you have a good insurance policy. Trace and access will only cover the cost of believe it or not, tracing the leak and gaining access, it doesn’t cover the repair., but that’s the easy part.

The age of your house will determine what the pipe material is , lead , copper, black PVC etc. You can usually find out but finding your internal stop tap and looking beneath it , the pipe coming out of the floor.
If it’s Lead , then that usually is a split, due to the movement in ground conditions, swell when wet weather then contract when drys out, Some of the times it causes the pipe to rub on the footings where it enters the property.
If it’s copper, then it’s usually a pin hole due to cement corroding the copper over a period of time.

Is it the water company coming out to have a look or private?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There’s nothing that has just been announced that means we have to change anything about the way we’ve been living for a few days now.

I take comfort from that, but there are a whole load of selfish, stupid, arrogant ****wits out there - I hope they finally listen and act.

same here ... I was expecting a lot worse tbh

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Get in contact with your buildings insurance to see if you have trace & access cover. You might have it if you have a good insurance policy. Trace and access will only cover the cost of believe it or not, tracing the leak and gaining access, it doesn’t cover the repair., but that’s the easy part.

The age of your house will determine what the pipe material is , lead , copper, black PVC etc. You can usually find out but finding your internal stop tap and looking beneath it , the pipe coming out of the floor.
If it’s Lead , then that usually is a split, due to the movement in ground conditions, swell when wet weather then contract when drys out, Some of the times it causes the pipe to rub on the footings where it enters the property.
If it’s copper, then it’s usually a pin hole due to cement corroding the copper over a period of time.

Is it the water company coming out to have a look or private?

South East water have asked the leak tracing company to check it. They checked the meter 10 days ago and said there must be a leak somewhere. The house is a 70s build.
SE Water have already said the bill will be reduced, and my insurance company have said it's covered apart from a £350 excess.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
South East water have asked the leak tracing company to check it. They checked the meter 10 days ago and said there must be a leak somewhere. The house is a 70s build.
SE Water have already said the bill will be reduced, and my insurance company have said it's covered apart from a £350 excess.

Sometimes the leak is on the boundary box ( meter pit) on the exit side which is still the responsibility of the water company, so you might get away with it.
Have you got a drive where the main pipe will go up, cars driving over the main pipe will cause a leak.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sometimes the leak is on the boundary box ( meter pit) on the exit side which is still the responsibility of the water company, so you might get away with it.
Have you got a drive where the main pipe will go up, cars driving over the main pipe will cause a leak.

No, we don't have a drive, as the area in front of the house is pedestrianised.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You know the country is in crisis when even Michael Gove comes across as sensible and informative on the tellybox!
He reminds me of a spitting image puppet

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
People have needed to have rules because too many have flouted the instructions. ..reminds me of the WW2 saying, to people who showed a light or something. .
"Don't you know there's a war on" (accompanied by a withering glare)

The fact is we are in a war, the whole world is, and it will be won, not only in the halls of Westminster or the hospitals, but by every person doing their bit and being sensible....
After that we will probably have to deal with an economy recession, but that's later.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Good to see Worthing's traffic wardens out today.

Very reassuring to know they're carrying out their essential work.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Out of interest why haven't you been going for walks at least? It's pretty easy to social distance when just wandering about, unlike being in the supermarket etc. The advice has never been to completely lock yourself inside (and even now isn't - albeit with the rule once a day) so calling people divs for going for a run/walk is harsh when most will have been very careful to social distance.

Those clogging up parks, etc, is another matter.

Hang on... First of all i am in a fairly built up area so going for a walk is a little more difficult for me, plus i haven't felt the need to go out yet.

I never called people divs for going for a run or walk. I was addressing the people who were going to pubs, packing out tubes, having parties...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good to see Worthing's traffic wardens out today.

Very reassuring to know they're carrying out their essential work.

Why not? Stops being taking the piss and parking like dickheads or parking where they shouldn't be.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Why not? Stops being taking the piss and parking like dickheads or parking where they shouldn't be.

You have a good point there.

I was more on about ticketing cars that haven't paid and displayed in non busy areas, such as West Worthing seafront, I guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here