Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 2 pts dropped by Sanchez or 1 PT earned???

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
2 points dropped by incompetent officials. Sanchez dropped a clanger today but all keepers get a few of those a season. He’ll wish it hadn’t been this match, but he’s a great keeper and will move on to next week, as do we all.

The club need to be putting in a formal complaint re: the VAR decision though, for all the good it will do.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Any club but Palace and it falls to Dunk to wack clear. Jammiest club in the league

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No one really got on Dunks back when he slotted past Sanchez at Fulham, disgrace of a thread. The best keepers in the world all blunder now and again.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No one really got on Dunks back when he slotted past Sanchez at Fulham, disgrace of a thread. The best keepers in the world all blunder now and again.
I think that’s as much too generous as some of the too harsh judgements. Sanchez is certainly not one of the best in the world, good as he is. Not sure too many are claiming that. Perhaps he’s actually a lucky keeper, maybe we should be looking at him in that light given he gets away with most? Sadly not yesterdays example.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Two points definitely dropped, and yes, due to Sanchez dropping an easy catch. That doesn't make him the worst keeper or that we should be getting rid of him. I'm pretty sure he would have been apologising to the team back in the dressing room. Acknowledging when you make a mistake is surely a good thing?

Maybe part of the problem was that Palace, thanks to the way we played, gave him nothing to do!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
2 points dropped by incompetent officials. Sanchez dropped a clanger today but all keepers get a few of those a season. He’ll wish it hadn’t been this match, but he’s a great keeper and will move on to next week, as do we all.

The club need to be putting in a formal complaint re: the VAR decision though, for all the good it will do.
If they did put in a 'formal' complaint, what exactly would you ideally hope would happen?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
If they did put in a 'formal' complaint, what exactly would you ideally hope would happen?

We know nothing will happen, what can they do? The game is finished, there’s no scope within the rules to retrospectively add/deduct points (except as part of FFP/solvency rules) and Crystal Palace will argue that if the goal had stood they would have approached the game differently.

What I want, frankly, is VAR out of the game. I’d like the Premier League to announce that they’ll introduce automated offside technology when it’s proven to genuinely work, but are doing away with VAR after the end of this season.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It was clearly an error on Rob’s part. However, a mitigating circumstance was the top spin on the ball that Olise created from the free kick. If he wasn’t off balance it would have just dropped down and he’d have claimed it second time.
In hindsight a punch would have been better.
He’s well in credit and great management from Roberto to back him and great support from the fans too.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was clearly an error on Rob’s part. However, a mitigating circumstance was the top spin on the ball that Olise created from the free kick. If he wasn’t off balance it would have just dropped down and he’d have claimed it second time.
In hindsight a punch would have been better.
He’s well in credit and great management from Roberto to back him and great support from the fans too.
I think you're being a bit generous there. The ball was spinning but no more than usual. It's not like it was spinning like a Federer forehand!

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
i love sanchez but he took his eye off the ball. simple as.

it's how you drop cricket catches

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
There’s been a lack of context applied to how bad the mistake was and how many comparable errors he’s made in the past. Imo etc etc.

Know RDZ appeared to support him afterwards but the club could look a bit silly for that social post if he’s less invested than Potter was in keeping him as a starter. You can’t be a Premier League keeper and keep imitating Wayne Henderson.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think we should have a committee in permanent session to re run all games and perform what if scenarios on every scenario. I’m envisaging about a month per game as it will be important to make a decision on what would have happened if the correct decision had been made. Cup winners/promotion/relegation and title winners would be declared roughly 10 years after a season was due to end. I can’t see any objections to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here