Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st time no sympathy for us if Albion relegated

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
He's not employed to know anything about football that's why we have a manager, coaches etc. He doesn't choose players to get on loan or otherwise.

I just don't buy this "£650,000pa CEO has no influence over personnel" stuff. Paul Barber provides a huge part of the context in which the chairman's money is spent and while of course he doesn't choose players he can surely influence who we don't sign. The spirit and personality of the club is largely down to him.

That said, I suspect that the number of loan players we now have in part reflects an intention to be heavily active in the summer.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He's not employed to know anything about football that's why we have a manager, coaches etc. He doesn't choose players to get on loan or otherwise.

I understand the point you make but I have two responses. No one employed in an industry can perform the best without a good knowledge of that industry. He has a specific role to play but the fact he has been in football for so long is why he got the job with us. He is knowledgeable on the industry. I accept he is not on player recruitment though but he does sit at the top table and his views are likely to reflect that top tables views. He is nothing if not a corporate man. So I still hold by my point, Barber saying there is no difference is a reflection of how the club feels. watch, there will be less loan players next year if we are serious about promotion.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I keep reading that we have crap players up front, that they can't score etc but not once have I seen them play consistently to their strengths! Even Baldock said in an interview he was confused why they bought him, he said all his career he has played off another striker and scored goals. It's not like we don't have a big man for him to play off.

Same can be said for cms who I feel desperately sorry for. A player who thrives or balls into feet, off another player, turns and runs. How have three managers played him? Balls into his head near the half way line on his own against two six foot defenders!

It's no wonder we can't score, our strikers are stuck up front on their own with no support. We play too many defensive midfielders and don't or won't get forward quick enough.

I believe that if we stopped this perpetual defensive packed midfield, one up front approach and unleashed a couple of wingers and two up front playing off each other for a couple of games we have the strikers to score plenty.

You won't win a Grand Prix with a mondeo, but then a Grand Prix car isn't any good for doing the weekly shop. Just cos they're both cars doesn't make them suitable for the job.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Struggled to motivate myself to make the 240 mile round trip as thought we would not show up.....pleased with first half showing, but so fed up with being so woeful upfront. As time ticked on it was obvious what would happen....and it did ......made my drive home so frustrating....had enough for this year now. Rapidly losing interest and heart. Roll on end of season.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I am not banking on it, but things should change next season , I am hoping this is not misplaced trust of CH ( he is the only one I trust at the moment) I take heart from one or two of the performances yesterday and hope that will carry on next season.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
How can you be Premiership ready when 5 players in the team are not our own?
It never works having lots of loan players who really don't give a sh*t what happens to the club, they just toddle back to their own clubs at the end of the season.

Loans are part and parcel of Championship football these days - a way of getting in high wage players that otherwise would be well beyond the club's budget. Stephen Ward and Wayne Bridge in particular were a great success. Personally, as long as they are season long loans, I don't see the problem. It's no different to a one year contract and, arguably, as they are invariably playing for their future in some way (either as an older pro or a youngster trying to impress like Teixeira), they have even more incentive than a 'real' signing with a nice three year contract newly-sealed. Kemy Agustein. I rest my case.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

If you had read the thread properly my question of "What does Barber know about football" was in response to Hampster Gulls reply saying Barber had nothing against a large number of loan players.
I do think you are correct in that Barber does not have any say in choosing or coaching players, but I am sure he does have a say in the financing the recruitment of players and I would say that loaning players is far cheaper than buying your own. Would you not agree?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Loans are part and parcel of Championship football these days - a way of getting in high wage players that otherwise would be well beyond the club's budget. Stephen Ward and Wayne Bridge in particular were a great success. Personally, as long as they are season long loans, I don't see the problem. It's no different to a one year contract and, arguably, as they are invariably playing for their future in some way (either as an older pro or a youngster trying to impress like Teixeira), they have even more incentive than a 'real' signing with a nice three year contract newly-sealed. Kemy Agustein. I rest my case.

Out of interest how many of the top six teams in the division start games with as many loan players as the Albion (5/6) in their match day squad. If they do then I will take your point.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I feel MUCH more pissed off with how this season has gone than I have ever felt, even in relegation seasons. I feel there is a real arrogance coming from the top and I am losing the connection I had through all the rough years. The stadium is fantastic but it makes the failings in recruitment and manager retention even worse. We should be going forwards but we are going backwards at pace. It's depressing tbh.

I agree with you. A thoroughly depressing season. Who'd have guessed when looking at the fixture list last summer that Brighton vs Bournemouth in mid April would be 19th (and flirting with relegation) vs 1st. Shocking!

Probably the only time this season when I really felt we had turned the corner was when Nathan Jones was in charge. One we got passed the first half versus Reading, for the next three and a half games the team showed some real passion and fighting spirit. Maybe we should have stuck with him for the remainder of the season.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That's because we used to be plucky little Brighton so when we found ourselves in relegation scraps it was more expected & accepted amongst fans. We've decimated a top 6 championship side, you can't take away from that and that is why we are where we are. Simple as that.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Anyone would have thought one of our best ever managers forsaw this happening. Lot of humble pie to be had by his detractors.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nicko son, you've missed my point. I not comparing us on the whole to other clubs. But to BRIGHTON sides from past 4 decades that have gone down.

Example: 92 we got relegated but we had to sell Small & Budgie to avoid wind up. It was understandable. Relegations in the noughties, well we were massively over achieving on the road to falmer. And so on. This club at the moment is set up for the Premiership and...going via League 1 it seems? "Premiership Ready" remember. That's the Albions words, not mine.

I think that is a very fair comparison. In 92 we fell apart after selling our best players because we had to.

You would like to think the selling of our best players was not for the same reason, but just blind incompetence.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I feel MUCH more pissed off with how this season has gone than I have ever felt, even in relegation seasons. I feel there is a real arrogance coming from the top and I am losing the connection I had through all the rough years. The stadium is fantastic but it makes the failings in recruitment and manager retention even worse. We should be going forwards but we are going backwards at pace. It's depressing tbh.

Perfectly sums up my feelings. Total arrogance from those running the club and I have suffered a total disconnect from the club as a result - first time ever. Very sad.

Have ditched my season tickets for next year, my kids are quite happy about it too as they feel exactly the same way and this makes me feel even more down about it. I really can't see me regretting cancelling my tickets for some while yet.

For me it's not about winning/losing, it's not just about the football on show, it's about a feeling of belonging and togetherness that makes it all worthwhile and that's disappeared.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Paul Barber is a Barclays Banker who knows how to cut a sponsorship deal, negotiate a personal package and write long emails.

On the football front, he um.

Given the shirt sponsorship was with a company that others had already brought into the fold I don't count this as down to Barber. He's done well with negotiating player fees for those sold. He's also managed to get rid of the massive waste introduced prior to his arrival, which equates to huge success apparently.

Beyond that are just long emails and alienation plus an endless stream of bullsh1t

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Personally, and I am quite happy to be shot down for this, I think Bloom cannot escape the blame for what has gone wrong. Clearly something has when you can lose two managers in succession who got you to the Play Offs, one of whom was severely hamstrung by an injury crisis (and I was not myself a great fan of Oscar's). And I thought that interview he gave after Oscar's one with Andy Naylor was pure spin. The players on Oscar's list were too expensive were they? Well then, you might have made a better effort to keep our better players, mightn't you?

Before anyone starts on the £200 million thing either, no-one, least of all me is seeking to deny that, but in my view there was too much focus on FFP, and where the non-stadium element is concerned, I detect (and this is my opinion, not from a source or anything) that there has been too much emphasis on the Youth Academy, again to the detriment of the first team. The latest 16 year old "prospect" to be released by Chelsea isn't going to help the first team, or if he does, not for a good few years. Sure, you need a strong youth policy, but the first team is what really counts. I don't know what it is, but something has gone badly wrong with the club. I am with Icy Gull on that.

Nothing to disagree with there. I was discussing last night how he managed to make his fortune given the awful team he has been assembling and the mistakes made. I know he was born into money and that he wasn't experienced in football but even so, the decisions/direction taken have been very poor. There's a lot to thank Tony for, the clubs continued existence for one, but I don't feel that being fortunate enough to be able to invest in your club should result in you being immune from criticism for the way it's being run.

I'd be happy with the focus on youth and the future if it wasn't hidden by the continual stream of bullsh1t PR spin

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Matter of time before CH doesn't get the funds he needs and walks.

The problem is with the board

Yep, Bloom is responsible for the shite on offer on the pitch. We have a fantastic stadium but he has completely taken his eye off the playing side. He has done some fantastic things with the club but he is being shown up as being clueless on the footballing side. He got lucky and then unlucky with Poyet and has ****ed up ever since, losing Oscar, employing Hyypia, cheese paring on the players and I am not convinced Hughton is the answer even if he stays.

I think the club are even now more interested in the hotel and development of Bennett's Field than they are on sorting out the playing side.

Be interesting to hear the spin that avoids any responsibility being accepted from Bloom and Barber at the end of the season. I don't see either of them accepting even a smidgen of blame. We'll see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here