Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Test New Zealand v England

Phil B

Jul 27, 2004
Ifield, Crawley
The blame for the performance lays with The English Cricket board.
Enland play in India, on hard, dusty pitches. Then you move to NZ where the pitches are totally different.
So. how many games do you get to adjust?
One four day game. You need 2/3 as a minimum. No wonder they are struggling.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Big Mac's six to bring up his 50, nearly hits a BHA flag in Dunedin

RedRob

come the revolution......
Mar 2, 2013
Pyongyang
Is it me, or is the Dunedin University Oval a somewhat modest & uninspiring arena in which to play test cricket? It looks to me like a run of the mill English county ground! Is this really the best venue the New Zealand cricket board could come up with for the 1st test against the 2nd ranked test nation in the world?

Not that i'm saying that's an excuse for our performance up to this point in the match......

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is it me, or is the Dunedin University Oval a somewhat modest & uninspiring arena in which to play test cricket? It looks to me like a run of the mill English county ground! Is this really the best venue the New Zealand cricket board could come up with for the 1st test against the 2nd ranked test nation in the world?

Not that i'm saying that's an excuse for our performance up to this point in the match......

I was thinking it is a great place for a test match. Granted, the atmosphere might not match that of a large and packed ground, but decent nonetheless.

I'd love to see Test cricket at Hove with a fans zone/big screen on the beach. It's not going to happen though.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
NZ stage most of there test matches at smaller grounds (would have been pointless staging this match at the House of Pain due to the lack of interest). The ground in QT is meant to be very picturesque - not sure if the wicket is up to test standard (maybe doesn't matter with drop-ins ???).

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
i went out for the last tour of NZ, (Hamilton, Wellington and Napier). Really enjoyed the smaller grounds, with the grassy banks and relaxed atmospheres.
Best way to watch cricket, in my opinion. I know it's one of the favourite tours for some of the 'regulars'

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
You'll soon be waking to find that normal service has been resumed. The first batting effort by England was yet another reminder ahead of the 10 Ashes tests ahead.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
NZ stage most of there test matches at smaller grounds (would have been pointless staging this match at the House of Pain due to the lack of interest). The ground in QT is meant to be very picturesque - not sure if the wicket is up to test standard (maybe doesn't matter with drop-ins ???).

The third test is to be played at Eden Park, Auckland which is the biggest stadium in the country. (50000+)

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
The third test is to be played at Eden Park, Auckland which is the biggest stadium in the country. (50000+)

Auckland doesn't really have an alternate cricket ground with good enough media facilities etc. Its a shame as Eden Park is pretty bad for cricket. It would be ideal if they developed a ground like the Basin Reserve in Wellington. Auckland has infrastructure problems in general though and I think it would annoy people if they spent time and money on developing another ground before they addresses other issues.

All the English people I spoke to loved the Uni Oval apart from it being a little cold. I heard more then one mention they were disappointed the third test is in Auckland as they would have preferred a smaller place like Napier.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looking good for the draw, shame about the dreadful start

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Draw I think now, we can stand down now and get some kip. We sure got lucky having lost the first days play then being caught cold by the Kiwi's. We were rattled and were on the rack but have bounced back.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well done Finn, still in after nearly 4 hours

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here