Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st game of the season, will it have to be away because of Pride weekend? anyone know

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not wishing to offend the Gay Fraternity but I don't think the computer which draws the fixtures has anything built In to allow for Gay Pride Brighton. If they did I think other clubs could conceivably point to local events in their own area to try and engineer a home or away draw to commence their campaign.

I am sure Gay Pride is a wonderful event - but I don't think that it makes a difference.

It does, and they do.

All clubs may make requests to avoid home fixtures on certain dates for legitimate reasons. Albion never play at home when Pride is on due to the policing resources needed in the city that weekend. Cheltenham Town always request an away fixture when the Cheltenham Festival is on, and Palace never play at home at the same time as the Easter Monday Mega Sale at Sports Direct. Clubs can also request for their home fixtures not to clash with another side's home games, so Sheffield United and Sheffield Massive will never be at home on the same day, for example.

Clubs building new stadiums might ask for a home game first up as one off request- as we did- or an away game if they don't think it's going to be finished on time (think Liverpool are doing that next season re their new main stand).

The League generally takes these requests into account.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not wishing to offend the Gay Fraternity but I don't think the computer which draws the fixtures has anything built In to allow for Gay Pride Brighton. If they did I think other clubs could conceivably point to local events in their own area to try and engineer a home or away draw to commence their campaign.

I am sure Gay Pride is a wonderful event - but I don't think that it makes a difference.

You're wrong there, Noo. Police and transport can't cope with both.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
And Palace never play at home at the same time as the Easter Monday Mega Sale at Sports Direct.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Clubs can make a request not to play home fixtures on certain dates. We did this for Pride and Boxing day

I'm pretty sure a club can only request one game a season - last year's request was for the rugby, however, I'm sure the police can over rule any fixture if they wanted to

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I do miss a good pride binfest. Recently they dont seem to be of the same quality as years gone by.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You're wrong there, Noo. Police and transport can't cope with both.

I sort of recall deciding not going to the Sevilla match because it clashed with Pride last year and I didn't want to travel from London to Brighton thinking that the trains would be too busy. Although I think the match was on the Sunday and not the Saturday

Yeah we ALWAYS seem to start the season away from home, thanks to pride. Perhaps they could alternate so that it was fairer??

Edit: I'm being a **** - didn't we start at home last season against Forest?!?

That was a Friday,but we have had a few Saturday first games in the Amex era,depends if the pride organisers say we can,pink pound is everything in this city.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Hopefully we get an easy-ish first away game, somewhere like Blackburn or Fulham where we would be expected to win

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I do miss a good pride binfest. Recently they dont seem to be of the same quality as years gone by.
Its early in binfest season yet...I reckon once the Euros are over/England are out we'll be in prime binfest territory.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

We can't take much pride in that.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Pride has affected us little in recent years.

Albion were at home in 2011, 2014 an 2015 on the first day. They could have had 2012 (Pride was moved to September) but were away at Hull City.

Only 2013 wasn't possible and the match was at Leeds.

This year clashes with Pride, as does next.

Unless there is reason to move it, Pride is always the first Saturday in August. As a once yearly event it should take precedent especially as it attracts five times more people than our home matches and there aren't 22 more scheduled before May.

No, it should not take precedent. Over a year it brings far less money into the city than the Albion, a far lower percentage of those attending are from the local area when compared to the Albion. Anyway, it doesn't need a rivalry between the 2 organisations, just a sensible 'every other year' approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here