Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1st Ashes Test Australia v England - Brisbane

Feb 14, 2010
If Mitchell Jonston can get Trott to be frightened of fast bowling then if you gave him the padding of the 1970's / 80s instead of the 2013's and asked him to face Holding, Roberts, Marshall and Garner, then he wouldn't leave the dress room. Afraid of fast bowling and playing for England. Amazing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
8. But this is Ashes cricket. Australia thrashed us at Lord's in the 1st Test 2005, we won the series. We thrashed Australia in the 1st Test in 1997, they comfortably won that series. In that match they were 54-8 at lunch on Day 1. IT HAPPENS.

Indeed, just recently we went to India and got spanked in the first test and everyone banged on about how awful we were. We then went on to spank them in the other tests.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If Mitchell Jonston can get Trott to be frightened of fast bowling then if you gave him the padding of the 1970's / 80s instead of the 2013's and asked him to face Holding, Roberts, Marshall and Garner, then he wouldn't leave the dress room. Afraid of fast bowling and playing for England. Amazing.

When I read this I was just hearing Geoffrey Boycott's voice in my head.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1. Haddin and Johnson are no mugs with the bat, and the ball was soft. Less than 250 - yes, less than 200 - still optimistic.
2 Agreed
3. This is the most potent Aussies attack since the 5-0 whitewash, but regardless of pace or hostility your quartet would be Anderson, Broad, Harris and Johnson, so honours even in the quicks department for me.
4. Ditto Michael Clarke.
5. Ditto Chris Rogers.
6. Regularly - that's a bit harsh, especially considering No. 6 has been a problem for England since the retirements of Flintoff/Collingwood, so he's often coming in after two quick wickets - never easy.
7. Disagree - over the last 4 1/2 year our series record is P17 W12 D3 L2. The bowlers we've brought on tour have more than 1,000 test wickets between them. The established 5 batsmen in our top 7 all comfortably average more than 40. That is sustained quality.
8. But this is Ashes cricket. Australia thrashed us at Lord's in the 1st Test 2005, we won the series. We thrashed Australia in the 1st Test in 1997, they comfortably won that series. In that match they were 54-8 at lunch on Day 1. IT HAPPENS.

There is no need to panic.

Not panicking yet. Felt we needed to get off to a solid start. Concerned at momentum swing. Panic may set in if we are 2-0 down with 3 to play.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Leadership for me has always been the issue with this England team. Cook needs to lead from the front second innings and do what we did in the Gabba last time round. More important now is to make sure we atbale a big score, even if we do inevitably lose. That second innings first test last time was crucial.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just listened to the TMS podcast for day 2, can't say I disagree with whats been said. Looks like they bowled to a plan and followed it very well, several of the top order seem to have weaknesses that are easily exploitable. The players in situ for this series have to step up a gear and fight for their places or they should be given the archer come spring. Too early to be overcritical but I think Trott, Root, Prior and Swann all need to contribute more.

I think this test is gone for us now but there is still time to fight back, even a drawn series and we keep Eric's mate.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Too many batsmen have been out of form for too long. Cook, Trott and Prior need to contribute otherwise we'll lose this series for sure. Bell and KP are being put under too much pressure to get runs and you can't expect to Root to bail us out at his age on his first tour downunder.

Looking at the bigger picture, cricket over the last few years has very much been a game of conditions and most sides have found it difficult to win away from home. If we lose this series it isn't because our team is fundamentally crap. It'll just mean they weren't up to beating this Aussie side in their own conditions.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
On the subject of the wicket - does everyone still subscribe to the theory that it's a batsmens paradise? Looking at what we've seen so far it has been quick and bouncy and both sets of bowlers have been good enough to exploit that bounce.

I think it's easy to get taken in by the commentators sometimes when they say how good the pitch is and what a par score is, from the comfort of their box when they don't have to bat on it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nah.

Skittle the last 2 out very very quickly tomorrow
Bat for 2 and a half days
Rack up 600+
Declare
Bowl them out again in the day and a half left
Innings win
Jobs-a-goodun

:thumbsup:

FFS pasty :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I woke early at 5am, grabbed the phone all eager, expecting Cook and co to have piled on the runs. I was so traumatised when I saw the score I couldn't return to sleep.

Please tell me it was a bad dream and never happened?

Think yourself lucky. For some strange reason last night I woke up at 2.30, went to the loo, and then couldn't sleep. Oh well, I thought, at least I can watch the cricket on my Ipad with Skygo. I really wished I'd gone back to sleep and had nightmares.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On the subject of the wicket - does everyone still subscribe to the theory that it's a batsmens paradise? Looking at what we've seen so far it has been quick and bouncy and both sets of bowlers have been good enough to exploit that bounce.

I think it's easy to get taken in by the commentators sometimes when they say how good the pitch is and what a par score is, from the comfort of their box when they don't have to bat on it.

Yep, really easy to get taken in by pundits, BUT what I would say is the amount of actual true wicket taking balls you could count on one hand; both sides have got out to balls that shouldn't be taking wickets at this level, Lyons double being an obvious example.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I reckon they'll declare and give us 450-500 to chase, and we'll chase it down.. Us English are always better with our backs to the wall so who knows, let's be positive :rolleyes:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Think I'll give it until the lunch break today. If we haven't got at least 5 down by then I'm going to bed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Broad, first ball, the comeback is on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here