1st Ashes Test Australia v England - Brisbane

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As I said after day 1, day two will be massive. And so it proved. The analysts have done their homework and batters have been found out. Carberry, as the new boy, is on a bit of a honeymoon in this respect but that will be short lived.

I fear the bowling machine for practice before the 2nd test will be set to fast and short. Any batter whose technique against the short quick stuff is substandard will not be in the middle for long throughout the whole of this series. We doctored our wickets to be a bit slow & low, you can bet your bottom [Aussie] dollar theirs will be prepared to be as fast and bouncy as possible. Physio [my mate Craig de Waymarn] could be in for a busy time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One positive is that this pitch can get flatter and flatter.

In the first 2 innings in 2010, 741 runs went for 20 wickets in the first 2 innings over the first 2 days.

In the second 2 innings, 624 runs went for 2 wickets in the final 3 days.

England could, and it's a big could, still get out of the mess they've created with the right application from this point forward.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Sorry, pressed the wrong button - to continue .....

..... Hard and fast whereas the pitches in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney are less so. We have to somehow survive this and the Perth tests and maybe we'll get something from the other 3. Trouble is we only have Broad who bowls at anything like the pace of their top 3 pacemen and our batsmen clearly don't like it up 'em.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, pressed the wrong button - to continue .....

..... Hard and fast whereas the pitches in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney are less so. We have to somehow survive this and the Perth tests and maybe we'll get something from the other 3. Trouble is we only have Broad who bowls at anything like the pace of their top 3 pacemen and our batsmen clearly don't like it up 'em.

Finn can bowl at a fair old lick.

Just has trouble keeping it on the square.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As I said after day 1, day two will be massive. And so it proved. The analysts have done their homework and batters have been found out. Carberry, as the new boy, is on a bit of a honeymoon in this respect but that will be short lived.

Carberry looked great this morning. If you expect the worse, you will never be disappointed. What will Day 3 be? Tiny?

I prefer the more optimistic posts from Bold seagull et al.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Carberry looked great this morning. If you expect the worse, you will never be disappointed. What will Day 3 be? Tiny?

I prefer the more optimistic posts from Bold seagull et al.

Too true. This England side do have some fight in them. I don't know what's going on with the batting, but they didn't all become crap batsman over night, when 12 months ago they were topping all the charts.

In the last 5 years our series results are: P21 W13 D3 L5 - it's a pretty decent record, and a side that rarely lies down in a series.

Got to roll with the punches and quickly get our heads together to move on. 2nd innings will hopefully be very different.

Carberry looked very solid. Must have been a bit disconcerting seeing Cook, Trott and KP all get out in front of you. Other than Broad, the only batsmen who seemed capable of applying themselves.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just saw a link on the BBC homepage saying:

'Pathetic' England have gifted Test

It's one of those headlines when you know exactly who has made the comment, sure enough I clicked on the link and there was Geoffrey Boycott's name.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I woke early at 5am, grabbed the phone all eager, expecting Cook and co to have piled on the runs. I was so traumatised when I saw the score I couldn't return to sleep.

Please tell me it was a bad dream and never happened?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
The first one was as you remember. The second (the last Test of the series) was a bit of both. Australia were in a strong position, but weather took some time out of the game, meaning that rather than batting England out of it, Clarke was forced to set up a sporting run chase. England surprised him by batting brilliantly and would have succeeded in pulling off a world record run chase (and a 4-0 series result) but for an utterly farcical end, when the umpires were forced to bring them off by the mental regulations. I'm amazed you don't remember it!

But we only had a chance of winning the last test because of the desperate Clarke declaration you mention. Had the series been 2-2 leading into the Oval then with the big first innings lead they had, Australia would have been favourites to win the series.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
But we only had a chance of winning the last test because of the desperate Clarke declaration you mention. Had the series been 2-2 leading into the Oval then with the big first innings lead they had, Australia would have been favourites to win the series.

We probably wouldn't have picked Kerrigan and Woakes either so it's not really a fair argument.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Particularly annoyed by Prior's first ball dismissal. It really is time he stopped thinking he’s still billy big b******s and knuckled down! He has had a truly shocking summer with the bat with England and Sussex, that looks to be continuing.

Massively overrated I'm afraid. Flatters to deceive time and time again. When the going is tough, you can guarantee he won't be in long. Suspect temperament and not enough stomach for a fight. Fine if its 350-5. He'll blaze away and bully the tiring bowling. If its 100-5, then its goodnight Vienna, doesn't want to know. Poor technique lets him down. Plays too far away from his pads and leaves a gate the size of the Mersey Tunnel.
Apart from that, he's ok.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
One good day with the balls and we're winning the series 0-4. One bad day with the bat and we're sending them all home!

Fact is that Cook, Trott and Prior are all hopelessly out of form. If Bell and KP fail as well we've got nothing. Will be tough to come back from this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Far, far too much triumphalism yesterday...' England on top...England's day...if we can get 450, we can win this Test...we are going to win 4-0 etc etc.
Facts.....
1) Australia were 132-6 and should have been bowled out for less than 200.
2) England's top order were carried through the summer by Ian Bell.
3) The Aussie bowlers are quicker and more hostile than ours.
4) KP will regularly get out at critical times.
5) Trott can't play the short ball ( not ideal for a no.3 )
6) Prior will regularly get 0 when the chips are down ( flat-track bully and technically deficient )
7) England are bigged up as this multi-talented side but in essence are quite ordinary. They have been flattered by the absence of real competition, South Africa and India ( at home ) excepted.
8) They have committed the cardinal sin of allowing Australia to wrest the initiative at the beginning of the series ( with some very poor batting ) and now face a big uphill struggle.

1. Haddin and Johnson are no mugs with the bat, and the ball was soft. Less than 250 - yes, less than 200 - still optimistic.
2 Agreed
3. This is the most potent Aussies attack since the 5-0 whitewash, but regardless of pace or hostility your quartet would be Anderson, Broad, Harris and Johnson, so honours even in the quicks department for me.
4. Ditto Michael Clarke.
5. Ditto Chris Rogers.
6. Regularly - that's a bit harsh, especially considering No. 6 has been a problem for England since the retirements of Flintoff/Collingwood, so he's often coming in after two quick wickets - never easy.
7. Disagree - over the last 4 1/2 year our series record is P17 W12 D3 L2. The bowlers we've brought on tour have more than 1,000 test wickets between them. The established 5 batsmen in our top 7 all comfortably average more than 40. That is sustained quality.
8. But this is Ashes cricket. Australia thrashed us at Lord's in the 1st Test 2005, we won the series. We thrashed Australia in the 1st Test in 1997, they comfortably won that series. In that match they were 54-8 at lunch on Day 1. IT HAPPENS.

There is no need to panic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports