Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1983 FA Cup semi final

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Dont remember the singing but i do remember the band leader dropping the long baton thingy he'd thrown in the air to much amusement. A great day and i still say that jimmy case freekick was the best in history. It started of heading for one corner then swerved to the other...unbelievable.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Manor hall middle school in Southwick followed by Kings Manor (where we won the league & cup double for 3 years running ) must have been all that playing with a tennis ball ball

My mum -Mrs White-used to teach at Manor Hall Middle School. She was a bit strict at school and I wouldn't have wanted to be taught by her!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Singing Policeman

Yes, there was definitely a member of the Met band who sung SBTS right in front of the Clock End. It was one of the (many) highlights of the day - although the overall quality of the match was not one of them. I remember sitting on a step near the exit after the final whistle and trying to come to terms with what had been achieved (the FA Cup Final was still a massive event in those days and very few teams got the opportunity to play at Wembley)

Later I stood outside alongside the Sheff Wed team bus with Jack Charlton sitting on it looking glum, while singing rang out from the windows of the Albion changing room nearby.

Living where I do, I also enjoyed the journey home up the M1 amidst the hordes from Sheffield.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
I do seem to remember Robinson wearing a broken brown hat in the celebrations after the final whistle?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My recollection of the singer was that he was in front of the main stand of which I was situated in the 2nd tier. Anyone got a picture or video of that?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
My mum -Mrs White-used to teach at Manor Hall Middle School. She was a bit strict at school and I wouldn't have wanted to be taught by her!

I remember Miss Scarlet & Professor Plum

Actually I think I remember Mrs White now I think she took our class for French language
Yeah she was strict as well but I was always a good boy at school :angel:

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Your probably all aware that it was 30 years ago this week we played at Highbury against Sheffield Wed and we've been talking about it on both our Facebook pages but am I the only one who can remember a member of The Metropolitan Police Band
grabing a mic and walking out to the 18 yard box to sing Sussex by the sea, it would appear that way on the FB pages. I hope someone else remembers it or I'll think I'm going mad in my old age and just dreamt it.

I'd love to read your memories of that glorious day, the cup final as a kid was one of those great days in English sport ( not so much now) and there we were heading to Wembley and I don't think it really sunk in until I walked up Wembley way.

Here's one of our FB pages you can all add if you like https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brighton-Hove-Albion-Australian-Supporters-Club/182347468450496?ref=hl

right behind the goal and just to the left (looking at pitch) about 6-8 rows up, when case hit the free kick I remember ducking as it hit the net right in line with me. Still got my 1983 sponge finger thing.

love the fan shouting at 2:46!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
right behind the goal and just to the left (looking at pitch) about 6-8 rows up, when case hit the free kick I remember ducking as it hit the net right in line with me. Still got my 1983 sponge finger thing.

Are you in the photo on my blog? Please have a look at the photo posted yesterday - you may be in it..

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I remember Miss Scarlet & Professor Plum

Actually I think I remember Mrs White now I think she took our class for French language
Yeah she was strict as well but I was always a good boy at school :angel:

That'll be her. She was a trained science teacher but had to teach French. She had the worst French accent I've ever heard in my life!

el punal

Ultimately a fantastic day out, but my God it could have been so different. I would like to know if anyone else had the same experience as me and my friends :

We travelled up from Brighton on one the football special trains to Highbury & Islington station and walked the "official" supporters route to the ground, arriving at 2.15.
As you may remember Albion fans were located in the Clock End. The only access was underneath the terrace itself which took you to a gangway situated bang in the middle of the Clock End. Trying to get in was absolute murder - there were no stewards, the police were'nt interested and the congestion was alarming to say the least.
We finally made it onto the terrace - just. It was absolutely packed, with no room to move, I lost all my shirt buttons because of the squeeze and the weather was bloody hot.

The other thing that happened to make matters worse was that a bunch of Albion fans nearby were so pissed up that they wanted to do a "Millwall" on their own supporters - great!

Anyway, the match kicked off and we were right behind the goal to see Jimmy's special, and the rest they say is history.

When the match ended we finally left Highbury, happy, dehydrated and emotionally drained.

On the following Monday I got chatting to a work colleague, who had a seat in the West Stand at Highbury for the game. I asked him if he'd noticed the crush in the Clock End. He replied - it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Six years later it did, in another cup semi-final.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
great blog and photo GR, i cant recognise my younger self, possibly just out of shot to right or directly behind that post

Thank you for having a look. If I find any other photos from roughly that angle, I'll let you know. :)

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
My recollection of the singer was that he was in front of the main stand of which I was situated in the 2nd tier. Anyone got a picture or video of that?

The band were in the clock end corner of the main stand but he walked out from there to the edge of the 18 yard box on the throw in side which may well have looked like in front of the main stand from where you were.
At least your another who remembers it, thanks for confirming it for me.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The band were in the clock end corner of the main stand but he walked out from there to the edge of the 18 yard box on the throw in side which may well have looked like in front of the main stand from where you were.
At least your another who remembers it, thanks for confirming it for me.

:thumbup:

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
A great day with a stunning Albion support standing in the hot sun at the Clock-End, I was high up behind the goal when Case hit that wonderful goal and the surge of the crowd was immerse. At the end everyone was going mad knowing we were at Wembly, but one of the best bits occurred afterwards when Jack Charlton, looking very angry, said ' I told them not to give away free-kicks near the box with Case around'. That day is one of my many standout moments following the Albion in the last 40+ years.

TWO TRIBES

Jul 15, 2012
HERSTMONCEUX
I remember it very well... in fact it was a day I will never forget....such anticipation and excitement.. came out of Victoria station admittedly a bit pissed started crossing the road towards shakespear's pub on the corner singing away enthusiastically with all the other Albion fans and that was it....Day over .. 5 minuets in London and about six coppers threw me down to the floor handcuffed me bundled me into a van and locked me in a cell for the rest of the day ..they didn't mess about in those days.Had to go to court and got fined 15 quid for being drunk and disorderly... unbelievable when you see the abuse that coppers get these days people shouting and swearing at them and getting away with it....in 1983 they could rough you up and make an example of you if you were just a bit too loud...
Never visited a prison cell since though so they might have done me a favour ,
Final wasn't any better ``got punched in the face``
Replay even worse ``got my head kicked in by a group of Man'u fans..got home with a face like the Elephant man....
So not a good campaign at all for me... I know it sounds like Bullshit but its all true....
Never mind Better luck next time....Wembley is beckoning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here