Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1979 Day on that 6 Music

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Yet again the playlist compilers believe that XTC only ever issued 'Making Plans for Nigel'

But no Elvis Costello, Squeeze, Ian Dury etc

indeed

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick was the song of 1979

As a 12 year old I was eagerly awaiting the new Sparks single on Radio 1 when I head what I thought was Russell singing Number One Song In Heaven it actually turned out to be Siouxsie (who I'd never heard before) singing The Playground Twist.
Anyhow not only was a life long love of S&TB but SpRks didn't disappoint with there new found collaboration with Georgio Moroder (Sp?) Tjis is the incredible underrated and ahead of its time Tryouts For The Human Race (give it til at least 1min)

https://youtu.be/3zGxzbVwDcQ

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great Festive 50 that year too.
e380d99d64218f32df6fa678301eca19.png

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

I haven't even heard of any of the so called *******s in today's top 10, and yet I know every song in that festive 50. Weird. I must be stuck in a time warp :O

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm stuck in the same time warp, I like every song on that festive 50.

wrt 'sound of the suburbs', Chris from the Members used to hand out at my local venue, The Nashville, on North End Road, and we used to chat from time to time. On his recommendation we popped along to the Marquee to see his band, and were a bit disappointed by the shy and retring Nicky Tesco (seriously). We told Chris that his mate needed to lively himself up a bit . . . and the rest is history :lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Interesting list, I like quite a lot of it. Can certainly listen to the Pixies, Stone Roses & Wedding Present all day long

I was listening to Loveless by My Bloody Valentine on my way back from lovely Sittingbourne this evening, I'll bet the 1991/2 Festive 50's would have dominated by quite different bands!

Ooh just noticed Pale Saints Sight of You, can't remember the singers name but she was bloody gorgeous! :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here