Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1970's swivel stud boots

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
had a debate yesterday in the pub who first wore these ankle breakers.
the names put forward were alan hinton, steve perryman and george best, doe's anyone remember these boots and who first wore them??

i've had a look online but cannot find anything, but i need some evidence....

help:(

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
i thought it was alan hinton, and the swivel studs were with the white boots, or am i just getting the 2 mixed up?
i found an article on the net where it states that he endorsed the swivel stud boots but no hard evidence!
mate of mine reckons it was steve perryman but surely he came along much later that hinton & best?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i thought it was alan hinton, and the swivel studs were with the white boots, or am i just getting the 2 mixed up?
i found an article on the net where it states that he endorsed the swivel stud boots but no hard evidence!
mate of mine reckons it was steve perryman but surely he came along much later that hinton & best?

Yes, you're right about Ball and Hinton and the white boots (by Hummell) but the Stylos were by somebody else. As it is Best did have his Stylo Matchmakers that laced on the side of the boot but they did not have those swivel studs. To be honest I don't remember anybody advertising those.

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
Yes, you're right about Ball and Hinton and the white boots (by Hummell) but the Stylos were by somebody else. As it is Best did have his Stylo Matchmakers that laced on the side of the boot but they did not have those swivel studs. To be honest I don't remember anybody advertising those.

so that rules best out then, i'm still sticking with 'gladys' hinton.......

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
when you say swivel studs do you mean those boots that had a kind of rotating disc on the bottom? I remember seeing them advertised as a kid and often wondered what happened to them/were they ever popular?

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
when you say swivel studs do you mean those boots that had a kind of rotating disc on the bottom? I remember seeing them advertised as a kid and often wondered what happened to them/were they ever popular?

yes, yes i do. but there seems to be a lack of imformation on said subject...
i don't think they ever became popular due to the snapping of ankles.

maybe it's all just a dream:(

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
yes, yes i do. but there seems to be a lack of imformation on said subject...
i don't think they ever became popular due to the snapping of ankles.

Correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here