Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 1966 World Cup Final Question

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
On the back of a recent chat with Mark McGhee who recalled Celtic going through to the Third Round of the 69/70 European Cup on the toss of the refs coin, after a 3-3 aggregate draw with Benfica with two 3-0 results so no away goals and before the days of penalty shootouts.

Which got me thinking, and perhaps an older NSCer might know the answer, what was the contingency plan if England vs West Germany had ended a draw after 120 minutes in July 1966?

Like I said Penalties weren’t a thing, in fact didn’t feature in any major international competition until the 1976 Euro’s (The Panenka), so was it a replay at Wembley the first week in August or would the greatest football show on earth have gone down to heads or tails?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
On the back of a recent chat with Mark McGhee who recalled Celtic going through to the Third Round of the 69/70 European Cup on the toss of the refs coin, after a 3-3 aggregate draw with Benfica with two 3-0 results so no away goals and before the days of penalty shootouts.

Which got me thinking, and perhaps an older NSCer might know the answer, what was the contingency plan if England vs West Germany had ended a draw after 120 minutes in July 1966?

Like I said Penalties weren’t a thing, in fact didn’t feature in any major international competition until the 1976 Euro’s (The Panenka), so was it a replay at Wembley the first week in August or would the greatest football show on earth have gone down to heads or tails?
Replay to be played at 7:30pm on Tuesday 2nd August.
I happened to look at the Wikipedia page the other day.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for the quick responses, so ultimately it could have all come down to the drawing of lots 🙈

Seconds of hurt rather than 57 years 😂

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Unbelievable times!

“Before the start of the 1966 World Cup, it was decided that all the matches of hosts England’s group would be held at the Wembley. But in an interesting turn of events, the game between Uruguay and France had to be shifted to White City Stadium. The reason; the Wembley owners refused to cancel the traditional greyhound dog racing scheduled for the day.”

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Unbelievable times!

“Before the start of the 1966 World Cup, it was decided that all the matches of hosts England’s group would be held at the Wembley. But in an interesting turn of events, the game between Uruguay and France had to be shifted to White City Stadium. The reason; the Wembley owners refused to cancel the traditional greyhound dog racing scheduled for the day.”
My understanding is that the World Cup didn't generate as much interest as we believe it did. The games at Old Trafford and in the north east didn't get big crowds. Huge crowds at Wembley, but I'm pretty sure if you wanted a ticket for the final you would have had a very good chance of getting it. Apparently it took a while for the nation generally to get behind it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here