Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Renewals

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Whilst it's not palatable, the problem is that if we ever get to European fixtures our (non)corrupt masters at UEFA will have it stipulated in the terms of appearing in the tournament that a thousand or more seats have to be made available in the hospitality areas for the tournament 'partners'. This would mean they'd have no choice but to hoof members[sic] out of their seats, so by doing it this way they are avoiding that eventuality. Personally I think they should have held their horses until such a time as it actually happened then dealt with it. Hey oh. As for friendlies, I think a combination of not knowing how many are coming with regards the lounges, and the fact that the opponents charge so much to grace us with their presence, I can see their point, but they really are riding roughshod over the original agreement. Trouble is, they refuse to allow "1901 Club" representation, or a committee, so it really is a "Club" in name only.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One thing I would like to say is how helpful and professional the wonderfully named Amro Shaker is. I have been quite critical of the ticket office in the past so equally I should praise them when they have done well.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Pretty low.

Fair point - although they could just make them apply for a (free) ticket, to know exact numbers, rather than charge them for it. :shrug:

Even that would cost the club some money whatever way you worked it.
I suspect we'll see the 1901 areas (at least partially) closed for friendlies in future to save money - the other alternative would have been to pass this cost onto the patrons.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Even that would cost the club some money whatever way you worked it.
I suspect we'll see the 1901 areas (at least partially) closed for friendlies in future to save money - the other alternative would have been to pass this cost onto the patrons.

I personally don't see the removal of friendlies as an issue. The original agreement stated first team games and I think it's fair to suggest friendly games are not first team fixtures.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I personally don't see the removal of friendlies as an issue. The original agreement stated first team games and I think it's fair to suggest friendly games are not first team fixtures.

I can't see us getting into Europe any time soon either TBH, although I can see why people could be a bit annoyed with the agreement being changed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Don't agree at all with that statement, whilst it doesn't bother me in that I'll vote with my feet.

The friendlies in recent years against Chelsea, Norwich, Villareal, Stains and Sevilla, were very much first team games, highlighted by the personnel on the pitch.

Additionally, by having separate Dev Squad friendlies that would imply that the other games are first team matches.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't see us getting into Europe any time soon either TBH, although I can see why people could be a bit annoyed with the agreement being changed.

True. It is a moot point I guess.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fulham, Wigan, Birmingham...

Not impossible and they need to be clear about it for the next 5 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't agree at all with that statement, whilst it doesn't bother me in that I'll vote with my feet.

The friendlies in recent years against Chelsea, Norwich, Villareal, Stains and Sevilla, were very much first team games, highlighted by the personnel on the pitch.

Additionally, by having separate Dev Squad friendlies that would imply that the other games are first team matches.

A very fair argument.

Jul 7, 2003
As has been said so many times, 90% of 1901 members are life long fans treating themselves to that 'little bit extra'. Why go out your way to piss them off?

The more cynical supporter would say that the club want to change the demographic of the 1901 club from being a majority of 'fans' to being corporate members. If you piss the fans off and they downgrade to a normal season ticket, the club keeps their income and also increases their own income selling the 1901 to corporate customers.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The life time license I signed 5 years ago states I have an option on "all first team matches." I would therefore expect all matches.

The bit which concerns me is what is covered by the license agreement and what is covered by the 1901 membership. These are two seperate things. I need to take a closer look at what was covered by the license I originally signed. My first thoughts are that some items enshrined in a lifetime contract have been moved to the 5 yearly membership contract.

What does 'the option' mean though. You'd surely have the option to have your seat for a European match (seems silly even talking / worrying about it tbh :lol:) wouldn't you? Does the contract say you'd have an inclusive ticket (free of charge) with all first team games for the rest of your life?

Edit - having read the rest of the thread people are suggesting you can't have your seat for Euro games due to rules from UEFA? So you can't buy it? That is a bit annoying and unfair but it seems it wasn't looked into much by the club at the time in league 1 - understandably so. I wouldn't worry, we're not playing in Europe anytime soon... :)

haggis

Aug 1, 2014
Bit by bit the club have renegaded on the promises made at the presentations upon which people signed up. The above is just one more example. If you took the seat for life (ie having paid a large one off fee on top of the annual subscription) then there is reason to be unhappy. Trouble is that it seems the club can do whatever they want (or at least think they can) because the alternative for life members is to give up their seat and lose their 'investment'.

The Club are getting so much right so I cant understand why they have a blind spot about the 1901. As has been said so many times, 90% of 1901 members are life long fans treating themselves to that 'little bit extra'. Why go out your way to piss them off?

This is exactly the point. At the original presentations all sorts of promises were made and gradually reneged on. ALL first team matches was certainly in the contract. I would be interested in some legal eagle looking at it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is exactly the point. At the original presentations all sorts of promises were made and gradually reneged on. ALL first team matches was certainly in the contract. I would be interested in some legal eagle looking at it.
Was there ever any clause in the contract small print that terms and conditions could be varied at a future date ? ???

I've no idea, by the way, just seen that in plenty of contracts.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The more cynical supporter would say that the club want to change the demographic of the 1901 club from being a majority of 'fans' to being corporate members. If you piss the fans off and they downgrade to a normal season ticket, the club keeps their income and also increases their own income selling the 1901 to corporate customers.

If correct, this is the most depressing post of the day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was there ever any clause in the contract small print that terms and conditions could be varied at a future date ? ???

I've no idea, by the way, just seen that in plenty of contracts.

There is. Can't remember the exact wording but terms can be changed if future legislation necessitates a change and/or the change is to somehow be of benefit to the 1901 Club scheme. This restricts what the club can do.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If correct, this is the most depressing post of the day.

Probably true seeing as it involves bashing the Club. I'm just not sure there are hundreds, or thousands of corporate types desperate to sign up. There are plenty of empty seats in the WSM, and the SWSM which are available on a match by match basis, which aren't taken up.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Not an issue for me. In the past have gone to them because not much going on, and have gone because maybe see new player etc. Just won't go to the pre season friendly. Club have made a judgement call on 1901's - I just happen to fall the other side of their call. I have no problem with this - just the way it is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having now re-read the documentation I signed just over 4 years ago I'm of the opinion the club cannot simply add the "domestic cup" condition without very good reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here