Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Renewals

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not sure I get what the lifetime membership is all about. If you have that but decide not to renew, what happens?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm not sure I get what the lifetime membership is all about. If you have that but decide not to renew, what happens?

The lifetime membership simply means that you don't have to pay any other licence fees if you renew your seat(s). Those who chose the 5 year membership originally, you had to pay £500 (all prices are plus VAT). Renewing now, they have to pay a licence fee of £500 again (and, presumably, will have to do so in 5 years' time again, ad infinitum). The original "lifetime" licence was £1000, but you don't have to pay any more licence costs every 5 years.

If you don't renew your seat, the club are not obliged to refund you the £1000 licence fee and, imo, would not do so - your simply lose that £1k. Of course, you could sell your licence (and associated seat) to another fan, charging whatever you agree, assuming you could find a willing buyer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thanks. The whole membership aspect seems a bit of a swizz to me. Just a way of charging more with no real benefit.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks. The whole membership aspect seems a bit of a swizz to me. Just a way of charging more with no real benefit.

Kinda sorta. For sure, you could view the licence fee for the 5 year membership as simply an extra £10/month over the 5 years, so the club could just have added it to the monthly subscription cost and be done with it. However, I think the club's argument would be that the licence fee is a separate element to the ongoing monthly cost specifically designed to give you the benefit of "ownership" of the seat, and it is this "ownership" that allows you to legitimately transfer your seat to someone else; a benefit which those with standard ST don't enjoy (though the club turn a very closed blind eye to the practice). They would also argue that giving you first dibs on the seat for (some) non-football events is a further benefit.

You're right in that it is mostly marketing (together with a cash flow advantage to the club), but, in theory at least, you do get something for your money - it's just that the benefit is perhaps not worth £10/month.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kinda sorta. For sure, you could view the licence fee for the 5 year membership as simply an extra £10/month over the 5 years, so the club could just have added it to the monthly subscription cost and be done with it. However, I think the club's argument would be that the licence fee is a separate element to the ongoing monthly cost specifically designed to give you the benefit of "ownership" of the seat, and it is this "ownership" that allows you to legitimately transfer your seat to someone else; a benefit which those with standard ST don't enjoy (though the club turn a very closed blind eye to the practice). They would also argue that giving you first dibs on the seat for (some) non-football events is a further benefit.

You're right in that it is mostly marketing (together with a cash flow advantage to the club), but, in theory at least, you do get something for your money - it's just that the benefit is perhaps not worth £10/month.

My understanding is the 1901 license is where all the 1901 benefits and entitlements are enshrined. So it is a separate entity to the actual monthly payment.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Thanks for the explanations but...lifetime licence fees? WT actual F? What pretentious money-sucking hooey. For an ARMREST at a second division football match, basically.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How much will the club raise from these license renewals and will it go into this year's or next year's FFP figures ? ???

Last edited:

How much will the club raise from these license renewals and will it go into this year's or next year's FFP figures ? ???

I guess it'll be treated in the same way as monies received in advance for season tickets; this is "deferred" and accounted for in the season for which it was purchased. How much is raised is just maths less any VAT element.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here