Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
fair enough - i've not been in there for a while.

on a more serious matter some heads need banging together/Henry Kissenger should be brought in - Sodexo is losing revenue, the club is losing its cut/commission and is upsetting a group of fans/supporters/customers/clients, 1901ers are paying a premium price but not using the facilities, and some 1901ers will lose business. Everyone loses except the likes of the Newmarket.

Quite. I will be interested in say 3 years time to see how Barber has improved revenues. I'm not convinced he will do this long term: he strikes me a classic short termist.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite. I will be interested in say 3 years time to see how Barber has improved revenues. I'm not convinced he will do this long term: he strikes me a classic short termist.

I suspect he has very specific objectives on revenue from TB, failure to meet them would only mean one thing.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

motivated to improve his CV, rack up bonuses, then move on to a PL club...............hopefuly leaving the Albion in a stronger position.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
sorry if this has been posted before. Does anyone know if there is somewhere where 1901 club memberships are traded 'second hand'?

Taking up the 'traded second hand' aspect of your post, there was definitely an intention to set up a page for trading that 'seat for life' or whatever that thing was called they tried to flog us at the initial Falmer presentations. There was even a mock-up of the trading page in the presentation pack. Not seen anything to suggest that page has ever seen the light of day yet tho.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

We can but hope. Imagine the irony of him hankering after a job at somewhere like Chelsea, then pitching up at somewhere like Sunderland...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
motivated to improve his CV, rack up bonuses, then move on to a PL club...............hopefuly leaving the Albion in a stronger position.

Will he leave us in a stronger position? Let's wait and see.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We can but hope. Imagine the irony of him hankering after a job at somewhere like Chelsea, then pitching up at somewhere like Sunderland...

Snigger. I can see what you've done there.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Did he not come from a PL club...it might seem bad to some with his austerity moves at the moment...but believe you'll be thanking him soon that we still have a club on sound footing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Did he not come from a PL club...it might seem bad to some with his austerity moves at the moment...but believe you'll be thanking him soon that we still have a club on sound footing.

I think he was at Spurs and hence the issue when Poyet was sacked as assistant manager there but his last job was in Canada I think.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Never went there before they were refurbished recently, however, it seems better quality, better service and better value than what Sodexo serve up, certainly better than anything Azure ever served up, and likewise lindleys, plus you get decent service, and staff who know how to pour a drink, and speak English. :shrug:

Racist.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I imagine Barber's principal remit is to significantly improve the operating margin. His strategy for achieving this is to focus on reducing the cost base rather than growing the revenue. Always easier to do short term, and as you and others say, Barber is a short-termist and a pretty effective one at that.

Not great for customers looking for VFM but it satisfies the shareholders.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
without doubt. Might not be a massive fan of his style but he is very good.

Is he though, anyone can cut costs through head count reduction, I fired 12 in a morning in the City once....far more difficult is to increase revenue, and as appears with 1901 food appointing a national operation, as previously, has also failed. The rush to extend the Football League TV contract with Sky way out to 2018 without a patient auction, with the very deep pockets of BT and now Vodafone on the prowl, looks a very, very poor call

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is he though, anyone can cut costs through head count reduction, I fired 12 in a morning in the City once....far more difficult is to increase revenue, and as appears with 1901 food appointing a national operation, as previously, has also failed. The rush to extend the Football League TV contract with Sky way out to 2018 without a patient auction, with the very deep pockets of BT and now Vodafone on the prowl, looks a very, very poor call

Not sure what PBs role in the leaguecdeal was, if any?

As for his CV, he spent about 5 years at spurs and possibly a little longer at the FA before that.

Have a look at his CV, he never stays anywhere very long. Think we may be about to find out why.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

To turn round an 8m loss on our turnover in a reasonable timescale, you may need to make a number of short term decisions. Once you've stopped losing significant money, you start looking at longer term requirements.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To turn round an 8m loss on our turnover in a reasonable timescale, you may need to make a number of short term decisions. Once you've stopped losing significant money, you start looking at longer term requirements.

But you see that is sound business logic of which few seem to really understand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True to a point. But when making the short term decisions you never take your eye off the long term which is what I think Barber has done. He seems too fixated on the short term bottom line figure and does not see the value or significance of customer goodwill. It's a balancing act.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
True to a point. But when making the short term decisions you never take your eye off the long term which is what I think Barber has done. He seems too fixated on the short term bottom line figure and does not see the value or significance or goodwill. It's a balancing act.

With any business losing money you look at where you can cut costs first to protect your margin. In significance and goodwill what do you mean ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here