Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1901 Club - what's it like and is it good value for money?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have seen a of comments on different threads about changes to 1901, pros and cons but thought it was time we had a new thread on the subject.

Full disclosure, for the first ten years I had 1901 seats, but moved away to a normal STH shortly after signing up for the third five year period. Fortunately I managed to transfer my existing seats to someone else.

So what is it now like?

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I've been in the MWB since 2014.

Lounge experience remains adequate, but that wasn't my main motivation for joining. Could be better. Could, conceivably, be worse (see 'piegate' and 'tea/coffeegate' for evidence). 6/10

In the main, the people I sit with are all long-term fans going back to the Goldstone. There's not a 'prawn sandwich' atmosphere, and while there's been some turnover of seats as new members join and others move on, everyone I've encountered is there for one reason only: to enjoy watching the game with passion. I've no complaints. 9/10

Value for money is subjective, but considering where the club finds itself, and the enjoyment I get from attending games, the cost and commitment involved makes it worth it for me.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been twice, thanks to @Goldstone1976 very kindly allowing me to borrow his seats, once with @Papa Lazarou and then a subsequent time with my son who was keen to experience the posh seats.

I must admit I expected it to be a bit like turning left on a plane for the first time - never wanting to go back to the cheap seats - and I'd soon be plotting my own 1901 purchase. However, that wasn't the case.

It's nice, clearly, and the lounge is a big step up in comfort from the WSU concourse, but in all honesty, I was probably slightly underwhelmed.

On the first visit, @Papa Lazarou and I struggled to find anywhere to place our pies and pints down - all the tables and seats in the lounge were taken. In the end we had to ask someone if we could borrow the corner of their table.

At half-time I went to buy a cup of tea from the hot drinks counter, only to be told that I had to buy a token from the bar first. The bar was rammed - I wouldn't have been served quickly, whilst I was the only punter at the hot drinks counter. Utterly ridiculous - needless to say I didn't bother.

The seats and view are great, although as I am fortunate to have a front-row WSU seat, it's not dramatically different.

A few years ago @Lenny Rider invited me to watch a game from his box (not sure he still has it) and that was a fantastic experience. A completely different price point, obviously, but the hospitality offered did feel special.

I've also had a Goldstone Restaurant package for a game and that was also excellent, and I'm not just saying that because of the fully-inclusive bar that we made full use of. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to mark a special occasion with some Amex prawn-sandwichery.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I must admit I expected it to be a bit like turning left on a plane for the first time - never wanting to go back to the cheap seats - and I'd soon be plotting my own 1901 purchase. However, that wasn't the case.

The seats and view are great, although as I am fortunate to have a front-row WSU seat, it's not dramatically different.
If you have a decent seat elsewhere, all you are exchanging is terrace atmosphere for a warm lounge in the winter and a free programme.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
It depends what you want from a football match experience. I went in the 1901 once last season and the best aspect was the excellent view (I'm usually WSU towards the back), but if you like to participate in an occasional "ALBION...ALBION..." you will find yourself doing a solo. Backstage the lounges are fine, but it felt like I was at a golf society AGM in a Travelodge. Your average 1901er appears to be a retired accountant who looks like he has just stepped off the 18th green and driven to The Amex in his Lexus. If that's your comfort zone... fill your boots.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I as well have been twice both as a guest. Eat once which was good. The lounges whilst unlikely to get a table are comfortable. and rightly a much better pre match experience to the concourses. It is this and maybe a parking space that would have tempted me. Certainly not the view because we have identical in East Upper.
A relative entertained some clients at a band c game last season and said the hospitality was very good and equal to anything he has done at Wimbledon and the rugby.
As far as atmosphere is concerned I think it depends where you sit. A friend gave up his because got fed up with surrounded by corporate people who were not Albion supporters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I live with the undoubtably drip by drip downgrades of 1901 since it was sold to me because I bloody love the location of my seat. I like being able to sit down at a table in the lounge pre match and post match (can be a challenge to get a seat pre match if you don’t arrive an hour before kick off)

Plenty to gripe about but it’s basically small beer.

However as I sit just behind the Tunnel Club and have lost the press TV screens for in match controversial incidents (more annoyed about that than anything else), if they continue serving drinks to the seats in front I may end up being banned. It’s a very ill considered and inconsiderate faux pas to even think about doing that. There may well be scruffles if it continues as I gather more than a few were pretty pissed off about it. (I was not at the Luton match)

Having the car parking space hasn’t yet been removed…..and my seat is so good that UEFA have taken it for the Europa League matches :angry:

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The 1901 application form is rather strange.

Do you own a cashmere roll neck sweater?

Would you consider wearing brown corduroy trousers?

Could you go 90 minutes without checking your phone to see if your dog has moved off the sofa ?

And most importantly would you offer a complete stranger a Werther's?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Depends on which package and lounge obviously.

The lowest package, around £1100 a season I think but don’t quote me as I’m only an occassional visitor , I think you have to think of as a good view and free programme. And leave it there. Anyone believing the accompanying lounge experience / hospitality side of things should be top notch is likely in for a world of disappointment: food is questionable, service often appalling, no free tea or coffee anymore, don’t see any legends as hosts etc etc. But good seats in the house. If you like to watch in silence that is.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've been twice, thanks to @Goldstone1976 very kindly allowing me to borrow his seats, once with @Papa Lazarou and then a subsequent time with my son who was keen to experience the posh seats.

It's nice, clearly, and the lounge is a big step up in comfort from the WSU concourse, but in all honesty, I was probably slightly underwhelmed.

On the first visit, @Papa Lazarou and I struggled to find anywhere to place our pies and pints down - all the tables and seats in the lounge were taken. In the end we had to ask someone if we could borrow the corner of their table.

At half-time I went to buy a cup of tea from the hot drinks counter, only to be told that I had to buy a token from the bar first. The bar was rammed - I wouldn't have been served quickly, whilst I was the only punter at the hot drinks counter. Utterly ridiculous - needless to say I didn't bother.

A few years ago @Lenny Rider invited me to watch a game from his box (not sure he still has it) and that was a fantastic experience. A completely different price point, obviously, but the hospitality offered did feel special.

I've also had a Goldstone Restaurant package for a game and that was also excellent, and I'm not just saying that because of the fully-inclusive bar that we made full use of. I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to mark a special occasion with some Amex prawn-sandwichery.
You should have bought the coffee/tea/bovril token before the match, schoolboy error :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You should have bought the coffee/tea/bovril token before the match, schoolboy error :smile:
Well, yes, but I didn't know about that at the time, and why would I?

Still utterly farcical that two staff standing round with nothing to do were unable to take cash from me and serve me a tea. Or even just having some modicum of customer service sense and giving me a freebie with a "you'll know next time." We're taking about a tea bag and some hot water here, not a bottle of vintage Bordeaux.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well, yes, but I didn't know about that at the time, and why would I?

Still utterly farcical that two staff standing round with nothing to do were unable to take cash from me and serve me a tea. Or even just having some modicum of customer service sense and giving me a freebie with a "you'll know next time." We're taking about a tea bag and some hot water here, not a bottle of vintage Bordeaux.
Customer service is bloody awful, no denying, and maybe Papa Lazarou was enjoying watching you struggle to get a coffee, he must have known :smile:

They often run out of hot water too, which involves a five minute wait whilst they replenish. They keep moving the coffee station too, last season they excelled and put it in the corner in front of the doors to the stadium, so you were in a queue with people trying to get in and out of the stadium. It’s like someone is having a laugh or is clueless.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a seat one away from the aisle on the halfway line, I have a warm lounge with seats, there's fewer people, less queuing at entry (rarely is a queue when I arrive 30 mins before KO) and less queuing at bars so it is easier to get a drink pre and post match, lifts and it's easy to get a tea at half time or have alcohol pre-ordered if that's your thing. I saw @Bozza 's comment about tea but once you know about the tokens you just buy a load in advance. In short it's a decent seat with a bunch of relatively minor benefits but when added up they make the whole experience that much easier.

@Bozza made the comparison to turning left on a plane. I would say it's more like business class on a short haul flight; not luxury but it's more comfortable and less hassle than economy.

As for value, I really value less hassle, waiting, queing etc to I think it is worth the money.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have a seat one away from the aisle on the halfway line, I have a warm lounge with seats, there's fewer people, less queuing at entry (rarely is a queue when I arrive 30 mins before KO) and less queuing at bars so it is easier to get a drink pre and post match, lifts and it's easy to get a tea at half time or have alcohol pre-ordered if that's your thing. I saw @Bozza 's comment about tea but once you know about the tokens you just buy a load in advance. In short it's a decent seat with a bunch of relatively minor benefits but when added up they make the whole experience that much easier.

@Bozza made the comparison to turning left on a plane. I would say it's more like business class on a short haul flight; not luxury but it's more comfortable and less hassle than economy.

As for value, I really value less hassle, waiting, queing etc to I think it is worth the money.
Premium Economy, I'd say - a small number of minor improvements in the offering.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Premium Economy, I'd say - a small number of minor improvements in the offering.
Fair enough. I was thinking European BA flights and whatever they call the front few seats ahead of the curtain these days. This is definitely “a small number of minor improvements in the offering.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I forgot to add that one other significant benefit is that I can transfer my ticket with two clicks of a button to a (named) friend when I can’t make games. This is very handy.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The umbrella stands have certainly improved.

Screenshot_20230816-111930~2.png

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm in the Harveys lounge and sit W2B about half way between the south goal and half way.

Lounge is very nice and even better since the make over last season. As @Bozza says though when it's busy it's impossible to find a seat but there are plenty of places to perch and you are never more than a few feet away from a TV to watch whatever game is on or the scores at half time (when they aren't showing that bloody please take your seat graphic). It has more of a bar feel that most of a lounges I've been in which I like. Has a slightly smaller drinks selection than say MWB but you can get most things I think. There was a time where you couldn't get cider but I think that has changed since they moved to Inches.

Seat is cracking and a brilliant view. Only issue around me is a lot of the seats are used by the hospitality packages so they are either empty or new faces each week and quite often visiting fans. Before Saturday everyone (near enough - one Chelsea fan did get a bit vocal last season but then we stuffed them) has been really respectful to the fact they are in the wrong end. Luton took over the place on Saturday and they didn't hide it either. I had two behind me, four in front and another two just along the row. The chap behind me had a bright orange Luton polo shirt with a Luton pin badge on the collar. So the club were crap at implementing their no colours rule for away fans on Saturday.

I also have access a few times a season to seats on top of the tunnel just behind what was the press box as a mate has 4 seats and if he has a spare I sit down with him. That was the best view in the house IMO. Not sure that is the case now thanks to the Tunnel Club as he was moaning about it on Saturday.

Those seats are in MWB which I probably spend more time in than I do my own lounge as I meet up with them post game and we usually hang around for a couple of hours most games. MWB has always struck me like an airport lounge and not a good one. It's a bit impersonal with lots of big round tables. The service has gone drastically down hill in MWB since they've added Bruno's (another restaurant), as it's free booze there are constant drinks orders coming from the tables and it doesn't take much to distract the staff. The other thing that pissed me off last season was they would shut the bar on one side about 20 minutes after the end of the game meaning the remaining open bar is busy throughout. They didn't do that on Saturday though.

Whilst on the subject of restaurants I've done HBs which was very good but expensive and the aforementioned Bruno's which was quite frankly an awful experience for the cost.

In summary it's good, I like the comfort of the lounges, I like drinking out of a glass and it's nice to get a free programme. Is that worth the extra money? Probably not. It's massively let down by trying to be something it's not. It presents itself as silver service but what it delivers is a million miles from that. I appreciate it must be difficult to staff but I do despair most week at the lack of common sense from the people they employ and not just those at the coal face. The senior members of staff seem to take little responsibility. The two staff (and it was only two for the whole lounge) they had working on Saturday in the Harvey Lounge looked like they'd never seen a glass let alone served a drink or worked a till. Throw into the mix nearly everyone moaning about the removal of food it was chaos pre game. The service has got noticeably worse over the last few years. I never used to order a drink for half time but I do most games now as the staff are so slow.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The drinks thing was close to my final straw. It must have the cost the club hardly anything to have a free cup of tea or coffee at half time. So petty of them to withdraw it and replace it with the farce of the tokens. I regret staying as long as I did but it have my dad more comfort for the first five years which was important.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Whilst on the subject of restaurants I've done HBs which was very good but expensive and the aforementioned Bruno's which was quite frankly an awful experience for the cost.
Likewise, I've done HBs as guests of a 'Legend'.
The blade of beef and flowing free bar were wonderful, seats were no better than my ST.

Would I pay, not a chance. Plus the fact it was a treat made it more enjoyable and appreciated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here