Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901, 5 year deal up next season?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I'm only taking a guess from what I know but I think about a third of 1901 will have lifetime memberships (50 years) the remainder will have to renew after 5 years.

I'd say for most up until last season save for the food the package was good and most people who bought one would renew unless they they only bought one there to guarantee getting a season ticket when the amex opened.
They will probably buy a season ticket elsewhere in the ground leaving 1901 lounges with the room and advantage to re-plan and hopefully re-price the areas in to what they should have been initially (IMHO) several tiers of hospitality allowing purchase of match day packages for birthdays celebrations and treats with seats in the best seats in the house.

Existing 1901's should be able to buy food and meals to suit whatever they want from the day and other fans can be introduced to an area of the club that allows for a special day reflecting any business or hospitality events they may have.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
I fear that with Barber as CEO there will be an obscene increase in price, it seems to be the only policy he knows, something I assume he inherited from his days at the FA.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I also fear an increase in the 1901 price after the 5 years are up. I also think they may change the structure so that some will have to buy a full hospitality package. Barber recently commented that it is a nightmare for catering at they don't know how many will eat. Most corporate packages of this sort include food regardless of whether you want it. I fear he will send us the same way.

What I would like to see is the option continue. An expensive season ticket for a good seat and hen separately the full corporate hospitality package for those that want it.

I think that would ensure he seats continue to be taken.

If there is a big increase the real fans, of which there are many in 1901, will flood out.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I also fear an increase in the 1901 price after the 5 years are up. I also think they may change the structure so that some will have to buy a full hospitality package. Barber recently commented that it is a nightmare for catering at they don't know how many will eat. Most corporate packages of this sort include food regardless of whether you want it. I fear he will send us the same way.

What I would like to see is the option continue. An expensive season ticket for a good seat and hen separately the full corporate hospitality package for those that want it.

If there is a big increase the real fans, of which there are many in 1901, will flood out.

Thing I never understand with eating a meal at football in corporate areas is who wants a big lavish dinner at 1:30pm on a Saturday afternoon before you watch a game of football
For me personally if I ever go out for a meal it's generally between the tine of 5pm to 9pm
Can understand it for an evening kick off after work people would want to come in and have an evening meal before kick off but midday on a Saturday a big 3 course meal, I don't get it

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Unless the prices come down on the catering no one will buy the full package - I think they might go for a price hike to lose some of the fans that only bought 1901 to guarantee a seat forts season. Lets face it there isn't a bad seat in the house so the club have to sell 1901 at a premium. I'm sure if we were doing better on the field people wouldn't moan as much

Thing I never understand with eating a meal at football in corporate areas is who wants a big lavish dinner at 1:30pm on a Saturday afternoon before you watch a game of football
For me personally if I ever go out for a meal it's generally between the tine of 5pm to 9pm
Can understand it for an evening kick off after work people would want to come in and have an evening meal before kick off but midday on a Saturday a big 3 course meal, I don't get it
An all day breakfast might tempt a few people, especially anyone who has gone for the late-lie-in-on-a-Saturday-morning option that many folk like to treat themselves to.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
An all day breakfast might tempt a few people, especially anyone who has gone for the late-lie-in-on-a-Saturday-morning option that many folk like to treat themselves to.

Yep I can go along with an all day breakfast at midday on a Saturday but maybe not the chicken liver parfait
pate to start with, followed by Gloucester old spot pork belly and
bubble and squeak, followed by pear frangipane tart and cream

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Its what your used to, if your not someone who does not go for meals during the day you obviously wont get it.
You like to eat 5-9pm Me i don't like eating late in the day, ie after 8pm, but go to other countries they eat at 10-11 pm don't make it wrong.
I can't understand how people can sit down and eat Indian, Chinese of seafood or drink wine ! but it don't make it wrong.
I'm guessing you a few beers football and a good old "Saturday night" is your thing, but for others Saturday is big meal football and a quiet night in.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
There are loads who really do not want people to know their status, I just follow the lanyards.

I'm a 1901 er, used to frequent the north stand in the late seventies, but times have changed for me and I enjoy the small comfort that I get from my seats. I don't know why people hide the 1901 membership? In answer to the question there are two types of 1901 membership, five years or life. I bought six seats three for five years and three for life. I bring clients along normally as the seats were marketed on the basis of entertaining clients on anything from a pie and pint to a full dinner package. With our form not being great and the bad news that the media bring about us its been difficult to get clients to come, so I will be letting the five year seats go and keep the seats for life. I am a lifelong Albion fan so I have no issue in coming along, but as for combining business with pleasure its run its course with me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What's the deal with lapsing the 'seats for life'? Do you HAVE to find a willing buyer in order to be able to relinquish them or are you able to just hand them back to the club at any time if you so choose (forfeiting your initial downpayment)?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What's the deal with lapsing the 'seats for life'? Do you HAVE to find a willing buyer in order to be able to relinquish them or are you able to just hand them back to the club at any time if you so choose (forfeiting your initial downpayment)?

I was told the club would find a buyer for you or you could sell them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
several tiers of hospitality allowing purchase of match day packages for birthdays celebrations and treats with seats in the best seats in the house.

They've introduced this already, you can book a table for any match, including match tickets and meal, or for a bit more to include alcoholic drinks too.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'm only taking a guess from what I know but I think about a third of 1901 will have lifetime memberships (50 years) the remainder will have to renew after 5 years.

I'd say for most up until last season save for the food the package was good and most people who bought one would renew unless they they only bought one there to guarantee getting a season ticket when the amex opened.
They will probably buy a season ticket elsewhere in the ground leaving 1901 lounges with the room and advantage to re-plan and hopefully re-price the areas in to what they should have been initially (IMHO) several tiers of hospitality allowing purchase of match day packages for birthdays celebrations and treats with seats in the best seats in the house.

Existing 1901's should be able to buy food and meals to suit whatever they want from the day and other fans can be introduced to an area of the club that allows for a special day reflecting any business or hospitality events they may have.

Full Match day packages have always been available as they were at Withdean, then £70 now £99 : see Dodge for more details

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
They've introduced this already, you can book a table for any match, including match tickets and meal, or for a bit more to include alcoholic drinks too.

Yes but where are the seats? unless the club have taken back a few 1901 West -it won't be there and if they have that can't be that many can it.

The problem is walking in to overline 1901 is the same as walking in to every other lounge - you don't get the impression you have paid any more than anyone else in there. The club needs a pound that feels and looks up market to justify those prices and that needs to include a few clued up servers and waiters.

Other clubs lounges feel like its different going corporate at ours you get better food and choice on the concourse unless you pay an arm and a leg and then its served and doled out within a yard of someone who's only come to watch the game have a quick drink and get a free program.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Full Match day packages have always been available as they were at Withdean, then £70 now £99 : see Dodge for more details

I know see my post above - and it was £40 not 70 at Withers - great food sheet ground - At one point 1901 west was sold out -there were no match day meal and tickets there - thats why they did 1901 south - which is good but not as good IMHO in terms of seat position as 1901 west.

Unless they have taken back some great seats in 1901 west you might as well go in the south 1901

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes but where are the seats? unless the club have taken back a few 1901 West -it won't be there and if they have that can't be that many can it.

The problem is walking in to overline 1901 is the same as walking in to every other lounge - you don't get the impression you have paid any more than anyone else in there. The club needs a pound that feels and looks up market to justify those prices and that needs to include a few clued up servers and waiters.

Other clubs lounges feel like its different going corporate at ours you get better food and choice on the concourse unless you pay an arm and a leg and then its served and doled out within a yard of someone who's only come to watch the game have a quick drink and get a free program.

From day one there has been some availability for match by match, but I get the impression there are more available now.

A friend of mine, not local, bought 4 tickets for last seasons Leicester match, including the three course lunch. He was sat in the block next to the directors block, strangely, exactly 4 rows behind where we sit. I think they do have availability all round the West Middle, I know there is a group of about 6 seats in a row, also near us, which are purchased match by match. I have also bought tickets for guests, they were 2 together, down towards the south end of the WSM.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Can you get yourself a position in 1901 catering please LB - you clearly know whats required! This is exactly what we had a with dean but have lost

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I have suggested that the club might like to think about differential pricing after next year. Personally i'm wavering about committing for a full 5 years again, (I'll be 72 when its up for renewal and might not make the full 5 again).
At the moment I pay £91.20 a month. If it went to say £120 for another 5 years, (pure guess) I would be happy to pay £130 for a 2 year season knowing it would almost certainly go up again if I renewed after those 2 years. That would be a win win for the club because it would increase revenue while reducing the commitment for those who didn't want another full 5 years.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

All part of the razzmattaz / 'match day experience'. Shell out best part of £100 per person, as if at Twickenham, the Etihad or Wembley. The difference being you are then subjected to non-winning football with COG, CMS, et seq.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here