Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

18 Days to Prepare BHAFC, Don't run out of Harveys!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why are we just excepting this mediocrity?

Less mediocracy than practicality. No point in buying stock you will just throw away so perishables need careful control.
That doesn't mean that perishable stock can't be replaced with something with a longer shelf life (bottled beer for example). Nor does it excuse the caterers' apparent inability to actually interrogate their smart tills and ensure that stock is located where it will sell rather than spreading it evenly between outlets even though many will (provenly) historically sell very little of a particular item.
There is a dividing line between good stock management and plain good management and in the latter respect our caterers seem to fail with staggering regularity.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Less mediocracy than practicality. No point in buying stock you will just throw away so perishables need careful control.
That doesn't mean that perishable stock can't be replaced with something with a longer shelf life (bottled beer for example). Nor does it excuse the caterers' apparent inability to actually interrogate their smart tills and ensure that stock is located where it will sell rather than spreading it evenly between outlets even though many will (provenly) historically sell very little of a particular item.
There is a dividing line between good stock management and plain good management and in the latter respect our caterers seem to fail with staggering regularity.

Yes but running out at half time? even full time? Why even bother buying any perishables?
Its total nonsense, at between 32 and 42 quid a ticket I'd expect the club to order slightly over their projected catering consumption. Just because you might waste a beer barrel here and there is not reason enough to constantly be unable to cater for a full stadium. By the way the Bright Harveys barrels get used in piglets steak pies so there is some recycling of stock. I am with you on the staff and the very slow service at tills. I also think your idea on selling bottled ale and maybe more crisps and say sausage rolls that can be heated up quickly from frozen. Selling those on the concourse would help.
Its more the point that the club seem to be able to cater for 18-20k in the stadium but fall dramatically short when over 25k are inside the Amex. Arsenal could well see that up to 30k. Time to up their game.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes but running out at half time? even full time? Why even bother buying any perishables?
Its total nonsense, at between 32 and 42 quid a ticket I'd expect the club to order slightly over their projected catering consumption. Just because you might waste a beer barrel here and there is not reason enough to constantly be unable to cater for a full stadium. By the way the Bright Harveys barrels get used in piglets steak pies so there is some recycling of stock. I am with you on the staff and the very slow service at tills. I also think your idea on selling bottled ale and maybe more crisps and say sausage rolls that can be heated up quickly from frozen. Selling those on the concourse would help.
Its more the point that the club seem to be able to cater for 18-20k in the stadium but fall dramatically short when over 25k are inside the Amex. Arsenal could well see that up to 30k. Time to up their game.

No argument from me. My point is that I suspect the busiest units which run out of stock start the day with exactly the same stock levels as those which historically sell less. They can't transfer stuff between units through the crowd so miss sales where their records should be telling them they are busy but have a surplus overall. The result is they order less next game to reduce the surplus.
Vicious circle. It's fair enough to target reduced waste but when you have intelligent tills you need intelligent staff to read them.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
No argument from me. My point is that I suspect the busiest units which run out of stock start the day with exactly the same stock levels as those which historically sell less. They can't transfer stuff between units through the crowd so miss sales where their records should be telling them they are busy but have a surplus overall. The result is they order less next game to reduce the surplus.
Vicious circle.
The club must have data on which units sell more and of what product. To change a barrel of Bright Harveys takes about 20 seconds. why they don't have the barrels queued and have to wait 10 minutes for some bloke with a wheelbarrow to come out of a side door with a new barrel is beyond me. its not as if it needs to be chilled. Overall there are massive improvements that the club can make. I also feel its a bit tin pot that we don't seem to be able to get the catering right at big matches. Transport is somewhat out of the clubs control, but catering, toilets and on site amenities are. I also hate the way the whole 'Martin Perry' idea of staying behind for a drink seems to have diminished. These days the catering staff pull the shutters down 10 mins after the final whistle and then only have 2 tils open with a huge que(north excluded). If nothing changes between now and the 25th, I can see all the things we talk about now, happening again!

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I think 3 out of the 5 times I've been invited to the Heineken Lounge they've run out of Harvey's at half time. It doesn't have anything to do with crowd size in 1901 it's just they'd rather leave fans disappointed than be left with a part barrel at the end of the match. It's a ridiculous cost saving (profit limiting) strategy to have. Especially in 1901 when companies are inviting customers out for an afternoon of hospitality.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Harvey's is shite :

You are wrong"Harveys at the Amex is shite" is true . Harveys in a Pub that knows how to look after it is....mmmmm...getting thirsty thinking about it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
. To change a barrel of Bright Harveys takes about 20 seconds. why they don't have the barrels queued and have to wait 10 minutes for some bloke with a wheelbarrow to come out of a side door with a new barrel is beyond me. its not as if it needs to be chilled. Overall there are massive improvements that the club can make.

Better still, just store the Harvey's in wheellie bins and just scoop it out a pint at a time, when the level gets too low to reach wheel another one in to its place, simples

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ben's Grandad normally pops up about now and tells us some old rot about Harveys brewing at full capacity and how if they brew any more they'll have to pay more taxes so they won't bother :bla: :bla:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here