Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

18/10/05 - Match Day - Palace - Brighton - Selhurst Park

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
palace.gif
-vs-
brighton.gif

Albion manager Mark McGhee:

"I said in the dressing room there are games home and away where supporters will forgive you for certain types of performances but away to Crystal Palace for us is not a game where you will be forgiven.

"The fans will expect us to be absolutely 100 per cent committed. I don't care if you are a flair player or a lightweight player, they expect you to be really up for it.

"The result will almost be secondary to that. We still believe we can go anywhere and get a result if we play as well as we can but we have got to go there and compete.

"We know how desperately we need the points but these are games which I enjoy. I've got no fear of going to Crystal Palace, I've been there before and won."

Team News:

Richard Carpenter faces a late fitness test on Tuesday ahead of the trip to Crystal Palace after feeling the effects of playing on Saturday against Cardiff.

The 33-year-old midfielder returned to action against his former club after recovering from a foot injury, but suffered a reaction after the game and was unable to train this morning.

Should Carpenter not come through the fitness test, club captain Charlie Oatway would return to the midfield alongside Dean Hammond.

Carpenter has been joined in the treatment room by Alexis Nicolas, who picked up a knock in training and also looks set to be unavailable.

With Jason Dodd still not ready to return, Seagulls boss Mark McGhee reckons on having a squad of only 17 or so players from which to realistically choose his side to face Albion's fierce rivals.

Palace manager Ian Dowie:

"We're going to lose because we are filthy chav scum."

Team News:

Crystal Palace hitman Andy Johnson could be in line for a return against the Seagulls on Tuesday night after recovering from a knee injury.

The England striker has been sidelined since the middle of September, but played for the last quarter-of-an-hour in the 4-1 mauling of Coventry at the weekend.

The Premiership's second-highest goalscorer last season with 21 goals, Johnson has six goals to his name this season so far, and scored a hat-trick in the infamous 5-0 demolition of the Seagulls three years ago.

Perhaps more worrying for Mark McGhee and the Albion is that the Eagles hit four past Coventry at the Ricoh Stadium without their most valuable asset - a point manager Iain Dowie made after that match.

"In the last few games we have been without Andrew Jonhson but this gives opportunities to others, and Dougie Freedman has come in and done well, and he has great experience of playing with Clinton Morrison.

"It was great to see Andrew Jonhson return and he is as hungry as ever and he wants to be the top scorer in this division."

Elsewhere, Mikele Leigertwood (ankle), Aki Riihilahti (back) and Danny Granville (knee) all miss out.

Ref Watch:

Andy Hall - 2 - A miserable, ugly, poor excuse for a human being who needs to be banned from coming near a competitive sporting fixture of any kind. I take salvation in the fact that his gross obesity will cause him enough health problems to hopefully retire him early from the game.
(from a QPR game)

Teams:

Crystal Palace: (4-4-2) Kiraly; Butterfield, Hall, Ward, Boyce, McAnuff; Watson, Soares, Reich; Freedman, Morrison. Subs: Speroni (GK), Hudson, Jonhson, Hughes, Macken.

Albion: (4-4-2) Henderson; Hart, McShane, Butters, Reid; Carole, Oatway, Hammond, Jarrett; Knight, Robinson. Subs: Blayney (GK), Kazim-Richards, Elphick, Frutos, Mayo.

Phalarse: Red/Blue Stripes

Brighton: All White

palaceshirt.JPG
palacedetail.JPG

Reaction:

The phone-in will run from full time until 11.00pm. 08459570057 and lines will open with 15 minutes to go, and if you want to book your call in advance please e-mail your mobile number to harty@bbc.co.uk.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If you hadn't guessed by the midnight posting so am I - although NSC's bloody clock is telling me I posted early - DOH. Bring it on!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That shirt looks nice actually. Are we still able to apply for them or whatever we have to do? If we get a repsectable result of course.

Silent Bob said:
That shirt looks nice actually. Are we still able to apply for them or whatever we have to do? If we get a repsectable result of course.

If it's got the date of the game on the shirt, I can see why people are waiting until Wednesday morning to order :) Fair play to those that have already stuck their ones in :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well, off to work early so I can get away for the game.

FFS boys let's have a good display tonight - make us proud.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Come on boys, we can do this!!:wave:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
the nerves are really starting to kick in , we need a big result today

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well it if all goes tits up I will put my MP3 player on and play "Comfortably Numb" :p

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Nothing less than 110% from each and every player will do, we can win this if eveyone's up for it.

Come on you Seagulls!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Kent Seagull said:
Nothing less than 110% from each and every player will do,

If you want our players to break the bounds of possibility why stop at a measly 10% extra Why not gop the whole hog and say, for example, 345,765%? That would pretty much guarantee a thrashing of Palace.:jester:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tuesday 18 October 2005

COCA-COLA FOOTBALL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP
Crystal Palace v. Brighton & Hove Albion (8.00pm)
Referee: Andy Hall (W Midlands)
Assistant Referees: Paul Barnes (Cambridgeshire) and Fred Graham (Essex)
Fourth Official: Tony Mason (Kent)

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...the players must be up for this one, it is better to go down fighting than not to fight at all, they must give every last drop of energy, there is no bigger game this season, we can win, we must win.

Up the Albion

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I always said our away strip should be WHITE. Not sure what that colour is though! Maybe its been in the wash with the Poolakaville shirt?

Last edited:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I suspect CP is looking beyond this game, treating it as as mere speed-bump on their righteous road back to the Premiership.

That is when big teams get bushwacked by small ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here