Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

16 to 24 teams

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I must admit I'm a fan of extending it. It's good to see teams like Iceland, Albania and Northern Ireland with a chance of making it through to the knockout stages. The way it's done as well means that most final games in the groups still have something important riding on them. Some of the games have been a bit dull, but that is always the case. The knockout stages should be much more entertaining.

Windsor_seagull

Aug 25, 2012
I'm in favour of them expanding it too - most teams traditionally find it as hard to qualify for the Euros (their local regional tournament) as they do for the World Cup. That doesn't make sense to me. Teams like Wales should qualify a large number of Euro's, while finding it a challenge to get to the World Cups.

That said, I think the system is wrong. Having a third place has made the final round of group games less interesting as for some teams there is no need to go all out attack as they have third place as a back up. Also, having teams play on different days (so they effectively know what they need to do to qualify) doesn't make sense either. No pretending I know the answer but the system isn't quite right yet.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It only expanded from 8 to 16 when we held the finals here in 1996....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It does stop a lot of the dead rubber games you see in the world cup where one team is already out so don't bother, they get tonked and it skews the table.

All 4 teams could have still qualified last night with the right result, as with most of the groups. It makes more competitive football, if not as entertaining.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As long as they don't go Eurovision on us and start importing non-European teams,the more the merrier.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I must admit I'm a fan of extending it. It's good to see teams like Iceland, Albania and Northern Ireland with a chance of making it through to the knockout stages. The way it's done as well means that most final games in the groups still have something important riding on them. Some of the games have been a bit dull, but that is always the case. The knockout stages should be much more entertaining.

This is a big positive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here