Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

16 games in and still no goals from midfield

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think it's the way we play. There seems to be a mindset in there that we pass the ball in midfield, we don't run at the opposition, we certainly don't shoot. We try to pass the ball into the net a bit too much. I have visions of Hammond against Leeds making a forward run, and as the space opened up a head of him he.. checked back and passed the ball wide to Bruno. We totally lost momentum, and that happens lots. I wouldn't expect Bridders to score many in view of his role but I think Crofts and Hammond have been instructed to play more defensively and give the ball out wide instead of getting too far forward.

Crofts and Hammond have had enough opportunities to score but either its scuffed shots ..headers over the bar or the goalie pulling out a nice save ...re Kenny last minute saving from Crofts

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Typical that when it suits and one wants to moan about playing forwards out of position, Barnes/Dobbie/Buckley are midfielders or wingers, and when this point gets made, magically they're strikers and don't count. We're 8th ffs, we may be on a poor run but we're still in the mix, it only takes a couple of wins to get back into the playoffs. Call me crazy, but I'd suggest that if Lopez/Orlandi/Crofts chip in with 3 or 4 each to support the forwards over the course of the THIRTY remaining league games, we'll be there or thereabouts in the top 6. They don't have to get a dozen each or anything.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Dobbie a midfieler???? are you kidding??? he is an out and out centre forward, at times hes come on and played a tad deeper but he's not a midfielder

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
In 16 games this season, PALACE have scored 10 more goals than us!

That is unacceptable

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
love it

complain about Barnes not playing as a striker.......... until he scores when he automatically becomes one.

talk about Dobbie playing in the hole as an advanced midfielder..... until he scores when he becomes the main striker.

hail Buckley as a winger....... until he scores when he too becomes a striker.

so what we come down to is our defensive midfield not scoring

oh boy! :shrug:

this.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dobbie a midfieler???? are you kidding??? he is an out and out centre forward, at times hes come on and played a tad deeper but he's not a midfielder

He is the second striker and therefore expected to do a bit of defending and tracking back which is not his strongest point. And sometimes he forgets.

It is arguable if he plays he might be best as the forward striker and Macca can come deeper (instead of playing Barnes?) ? He can also drift wide left which will leave room for our left footed midfielder Orlandi to float into the gap and collect a Bridge pass and run at their defence.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
We have all been spouting about the need for an extra ahead, but our midfield has been the WORST in over 30 decades in viewing the Albion for reviewing, but certainly the BEST for defending!
Extra ahead?
Worst midfield in over 300 years?
Viewing the Albion for reviewing? ???
Your spelling of Elliott differs in your signature from your username
=
Troll? ???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have all been spouting
How much have you been spouting exactly? That's your second ever post, and the other was trying to take the piss out of Buckley and praise Zaha. And you can't spell your own name.

Yet another embarrassingly shit Palace troll.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Would have expected a goal or 2 from the likes of Crofts and Hammond by now. Both proven at this level in that department. Still 30 matches to go :albion2:

Crofts isn't really a goalscoring midfielder - the most he's ever scored in a season is about 8. Remember looking it up previously and his ratio was very similar to Gary Dicker's.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Crofts isn't really a goalscoring midfielder - the most he's ever scored in a season is about 8. Remember looking it up previously and his ratio was very similar to Gary Dicker's.

For Croft to get anywhere near 8 or even 4 goals this season would be remarkable because IMHO he has been poor since coming back to us and is greatly in Hammonds shadow if only we could get somebody like Sidwell in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here