Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

15 Year invents Pancreatic cancer test

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Dont know if any of you had read this, but I have just seen it and even though im not normally someone who starts threads, im absolutely amazed. It makes you wonder how a fifteen year old boy can come up with this test when all the pharmaceutical companies could not? could they?

Check the video, it is amazing

Video of him describing how he done it

15-year-old invents a new method for diagnosing cancer. [VIDEO]

Story in paper

The 15-year-old schoolboy whose invention could revolutionise cancer detection | Mail Online

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Eaglesdestroyseagulls;55 16855 said:
Dont know if any of you had read this, but I have just seen it and even though im not normally someone who starts threads, im absolutely amazed. It makes you wonder how a fifteen year old boy can come up with this test when all the pharmaceutical companies could not? could they?

Story in paper

The 15-year-old schoolboy whose invention could revolutionise cancer detection | Mail Online
Thats got to be a good thing, pancreatic cancer is a bastard, by the time you realise there is something wrong, its too late.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Thats why he invented it, as it detects it a lot faster.

If you look at the video, each test costs 3p or something silly like that. It is 26000 times cheaper using his test than it is the current ones. I must admit to not having time to fully digest the video yet but even so im amazed

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I often wonder if the big pharma companies are sitting on an awful lot of advances in medicine, simply because the solutions they have found would be cheap substitutes for products that make them a lot of money...

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
Them 190 or so scientists that didnt even give this new testing a chance should be ashamed of themselves, for not allowing new ideas to be brought to the table.Great read,nice to have news like this.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Them 190 or so scientists that didnt even give this new testing a chance should be ashamed of themselves, for not allowing new ideas to be brought to the table.Great read,nice to have news like this.

To be honest, you can see why they're being arrogant or ignorant, they've probably studied for 10 years or so to get into their job, then all of their experience on top of that. Why should they listen to a 15 year old with no qualifications?

But, I think it's a fantastic discovery. If something can save even 1 person's life, it's worth doing; this could potentially save millions of lives.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
dreadful mate, you have my sympathy, my mum died of it last year , though I can imagine losing your mum at that age is far far worse.

My sympathies to you too.

I really don't think there is a better/worse time.

I was lucky to have a fantastic father, who unfortunately I lost 5 years ago.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I often wonder if the big pharma companies are sitting on an awful lot of advances in medicine, simply because the solutions they have found would be cheap substitutes for products that make them a lot of money...

Undoubtedly. The scandal of them withholding trial data is being exposed by Ben goldacre with his www.alltrials.net campaign.

There's some pretty questionable stuff going on in pharma. Why do you think there have been no new therapies in the last 20 years for one of the world's biggest killers (malaria).

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Phamaceutical companies weren't trying is probably the first reason they didn't come up with it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Eaglesdestroyseagulls;55 16855 said:

Story in paper

Do you post it on here because you know that most of your clubs fans cannot read this ? Just wondering what you are here for.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Do you post it on here because you know that most of your clubs fans cannot read this ? Just wondering what you are here for.

What a cock you are, the bloke has posted something on here that most will find of some intrest and very likely at some point may play a part in saving their life, or maybe yours. Yet you see fit to post dribble as a reply, like I said....cock.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

some might think that, but its doesnt work like that (or in any field of technology). first off, your scientists dont necessary share the same fiscal priority as the company, they want to make the discovery and put it out there. then you have to consider how you keep an advance/discovery secret. any of the team leave can leave to a competitor or start their own firm, and the original company cant stop them from profiting because they havent claimed it. there is scope to make a discovery then not properly bring it to market while a more profitable product is in use, but bear in mind thats only going to last 20 years as thats the life of a patent. and foreigners could just rip off the patent (russians and chinese do this). in the end the new discovery will make it forward because, protected by patent, the company can charge alor for it either way. most drugs material unit cost is pennies, its the cost of R&D and trials that make them expensive.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

I posted it as I found it very interesting and also remarkably good news. Most of the Palace supporters I know can in fact read, funnily enough there would not be much point in belonging to any forum if you could not read is there? if your struggling with that conundrum let me know a.n.d I -w.i.l.l -e.x.p.l.a.i.n -i.t -t.o -y.o.u -s.l.o.w.l.y

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here