Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm beginning to think that this is just a spoof wind-up merchant account now.

You are fortunate indeed that you can afford to pay the PPV charge. You are crassly over-looking those who CAN'T afford to pay the additional charge. All very well adopting the "I'm all right jack" modality whilst perched atop your ivory tower.

Yes, we know you can afford to pay it. We got that now. Jolly good ol' chap.

Some are not awash with extra cash. Some won't ever have been. Others will have lost their jobs as a result of the virus whilst others will be trying to save every last penny for fear that they won't have their job for much longer.

You clearly have no empathy at all for those who are not resident in the financial wonderland that you live in.

This is half of a valid point.

I say half because I think you can split this into home and away games.

If you're a STH and have funds lodged with the club, then paying PPV for Albion home games could be a case of "I need some of the money of mine you have back, in order that I can pay the £15 required to see the game."

Away games are, I think, a different story. Prior to now we've never had a legitimate way to view away games we were unable to attend that had not seen selected for UK TV coverage. We'd have to wait for highlights on MotD / MotD2 (or use dodgy methods). It may sound tough, but no one has a right to be able to watch these games. There are many things we can't afford, or choose not to spend some of our finite cash on - that's simply how life works. As much as it would be very nice to view every Albion away game, I'm not sure we have any right to do so if we can't afford it, or choose not to pay for it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

If you're a STH and have funds lodged with the club, then paying PPV for Albion home games could be a case of "I need some of the money of mine you have back, in order that I can pay the £15 required to see the game."

Away games are, I think, a different story. Prior to now we've never had a legitimate way to view away games we were unable to attend that had not seen selected for UK TV coverage. We'd have to wait for highlights on MotD / MotD2 (or use dodgy methods). It may sound tough, but no one has a right to be able to watch these games. There are many things we can't afford, or choose not to spend some of our finite cash on - that's simply how life works. As much as it would be very nice to view every Albion away game, I'm not sure we have any right to do so if we can't afford it, or choose not to pay for it.

I don't think many of us are complaining about the away games, or at least, I'm not. I do feel for two of my close friends who have both lost their jobs over the summer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Out of interest, has anyone asked the club for their retained STH funds back and, if so, what was the response?

Lots of people complaining about being charged twice, which I disagree with as stated, but I'm wondering what they've personally done to remedy that.

Well, I both agree with your posts, and don't :lol:

For anyone who maintained a Sky contract they were considering getting rid of as part of Covid belt tightening, or anyone who took one out in the belief they would deliver all BCD games in the way they did in the summer and so far this season, ultimately you have paid two different outlays already - ST and TV subscription. So, as [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] pointed out, for anyone on a budget this may be the final straw (again, the £15 is not discounted for OAPs or students just as a TV subscription isn't). What do you really think the club would do if we swamped them asking for lump sum ST refunds now? At other clubs this has been club-led and not fan-led. And I guess PB and TB are probably looking into this with some urgency now anyway? However.....

The away game point is correct and valid. It can't be disputed.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
So about £40 will come out of your season ticket pot and £14-95 if you pay for PPV? No. Your pot will still be intact and if you don't do PPV you won't see the match and it won't cost you anything.

It doesn't matter what happens to my 'season ticket pot' because I cant see, touch or access those funds, so its moot.

I have paid the club to watch the scheduled Albion home matches. Unless they return the funds I would have to pay again in order to watch the west brom game.

Even if i get all of the money back the day after I pay for west brom PPV, I will have still paid net £60 at the point of the game, meaning I have paid twice.

Relativity is what you're not applying here - if they refund or reallocate in the future, that's a different matter.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Let's say you order a 'product' on credit from Argos and started paying it off in April. It's currently October and Argos are yet to deliver the Product that I have been paying off for the past seven months but assure me they will deliver the product sometime between now and May 21'... in what way would I have not been paying for the product I started paying for in April? Similarly in what way have I not been paying for the 'product' Brighton sold to me in April? Of course people have paid for their Season Tickets?! The fact a refund may or may not be forthcoming in the next seven months is irrelevant.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well, I both agree with your posts, and don't :lol:

For anyone who maintained a Sky contract they were considering getting rid of as part of Covid belt tightening, or anyone who took one out in the belief they would deliver all BCD games in the way they did in the summer and so far this season, ultimately you have paid two different outlays already - ST and TV subscription. So, as [MENTION=22135]rippleman[/MENTION] pointed out, for anyone on a budget this may be the final straw (again, the £15 is not discounted for OAPs or students just as a TV subscription isn't). What do you really think the club would do if we swamped them asking for lump sum ST refunds now? At other clubs this has been club-led and not fan-led. And I guess PB and TB are probably looking into this with some urgency now anyway? However.....

I'd venture anyone on a budget shouldn't have a Sky contract - I certainly don't - but we all choose how we allocate and spend cash, and it's not for me to judge.

I was genuinely curious if anyone had asked for their money back. It seems unlikely that no-one has asked yet, but I've not read anything on it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can I suggest that there is no way in hell that you'll do that once the dust has settled? :smile:
I know a few life long fans that knocked it on the head for a few reasons personal to them. This Covid period has given many fans a time to reflect on what’s important in life, personally the day football clubs starting asking for days wage in some cases from supporters to watch 90 minutes of football was the day it crossed the line. If the Albion ever got to that level I would call it day to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let's say you order a 'product' on credit from Argos and started paying it off in April. It's currently October and Argos are yet to deliver the Product that I have been paying off for the past seven months but assure me they will deliver the product sometime between now and May 21'... in what way would I have not been paying for the product I started paying for in April? Similarly in what way have I not been paying for the 'product' Brighton sold to me in April? Of course people have paid for their Season Tickets?! The fact a refund may or may not be forthcoming in the next seven months is irrelevant.

So, presumably you've asked BHAFC for a refund in the same way you'd have asked Argos by now.

What was the response?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think that if somebody has paid upfront in good faith via their ST outlay to specifically watch the home match v West Brom in season 2020/21, then I don't think it's unreasonable for a way to be found of fulfilling the club's part of that deal, whether it be by PPV code or funds transfer back to the STH for that match. OK appreciate it's a lot to ask at such short notice, but on the other hand the match is still some way off relatively speaking, and there must be a good number of ticket office staff with not a lot otherwise going on at the moment

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know a few life long fans that knocked it on the head for a few reasons personal to them. This Covid period has given many fans a time to reflect on what’s important in life, personally the day football clubs starting asking for days wage in some cases from supporters to watch 90 minutes of football was the day it crossed the line. If the Albion ever got to that level I would call it day to.

I totally get that, I have cut back big time on away games since we reached the PL. Initially because the way we played bored me and often made me angry but it becomes a habit and under Potter we are nearly always entertaining but I am now out of the habit and crucially I can see all games live now that we are in the PL.

I think as you get older if hassle is involved you tend (well I do) to stop doing things. I find Falmer a pain in the arse to get to and from so I can see me considering giving up live games and watching on TV once things return to normal.

There was a time when I’d go anywhere in the country to watch the Albion, I no longer have the urge to do it :down:

Covid has accelerated it, unlike many I am now thinking only having to give up 120 mins of my day is preferable to giving up all or most of the day, do I blame Sky and BT Sport? :shrug:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I totally get that, I have cut back big time on away games since we reached the PL. Initially because the way we played bored me and often made me angry but it becomes a habit and under Potter we are nearly always entertaining but I am now out of the habit and crucially I can see all games live now that we are in the PL.

I think as you get older if hassle is involved you tend (well I do) to stop doing things. I find Falmer a pain in the arse to get to and from so I can see me considering giving up live games and watching on TV once things return to normal.

There was a time when I’d go anywhere in the country to watch the Albion, I no longer have the urge to do it :down:

Covid has accelerated it, unlike many I am now thinking only having to give up 120 mins of my day is preferable to giving up all or most of the day, do I blame Sky and BT Sport? :shrug:

But whatever you give up and whatever the reason I bet you’ll still be an Albion fan.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Ok
Covid has accelerated it, unlike many I am now thinking only having to give up 120 mins of my day is preferable to giving up all or most of the day :shrug:
I’m not to far away either, from going to Rochdale on a Tuesday night I can’t really be arsed going to the Amex that often now as the outcome is nearly always the same play reasonably well just lacking the quality to see teams off and I can’t really see that changing anytime soon. Freezing my nuts off in a bus queue after the game is also losing its appeal :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd venture anyone on a budget shouldn't have a Sky contract - I certainly don't - but we all choose how we allocate and spend cash, and it's not for me to judge.

Fair enough. I do have a Sky Sports package but I get BT Sport bundled in with my broadband, which I need for work. I eventually managed to get this paused during lockdown and was getting used to not having it - until suddenly ALL our games were on it. That's my point really. I unpaused in the expectation I'd either get our games as part of my Sky package or in the flesh.

I was genuinely curious if anyone had asked for their money back. It seems unlikely that no-one has asked yet, but I've not read anything on it.

I suspect most haven't and some may have. Will be interesting to see if anyone answers.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Fair enough. I do have a Sky Sports package but I get BT Sport bundled in with my broadband, which I need for work. I eventually managed to get this paused during lockdown and was getting used to not having it - until suddenly ALL our games were on it. That's my point really. I unpaused in the expectation I'd either get our games as part of my Sky package or in the flesh.

I don't have much time or inclination to watch many matches as a neutral, so I don't usually subscribe to Sky Sports. Just can't justify it. (I do, however, have Amazon Prime.)

But I signed up to Sky Sports (£18/month) and BT Sports (£25) so I can watch ALL Albion matches during the Covid-era - or so I thought.

I flatly refuse to pay £14.95 PPV.

And it's not worth paying for Sky/BT for just a couple of Albion matches a month (neutral matches are even less appealing with no crowds), so I'm almost certainly going to cancel my subscriptions.

Great work, Premier League. :shrug:

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
So, presumably you've asked BHAFC for a refund in the same way you'd have asked Argos by now.

What was the response?

This was hypothetical - thankfully I'm in no need to request a refund from the club and when the time comes I'll probably pay PPV for no reason other than convenience.

To say people haven't already paid is wrong.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
My main concern with PPV is that it will be here to stay. Once they work out that people will pay £x to watch say Liverpool v ManU or that away fans of smaller clubs who can’t go will also pay it, it’s a slippery slope. Boxing used to be on Sky Sports until they realised they could fleece fans even more by charging more for the big bouts. Capitalism at its worst.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think that if somebody has paid upfront in good faith via their ST outlay to specifically watch the home match v West Brom in season 2020/21, then I don't think it's unreasonable for a way to be found of fulfilling the club's part of that deal, whether it be by PPV code or funds transfer back to the STH for that match. OK appreciate it's a lot to ask at such short notice, but on the other hand the match is still some way off relatively speaking, and there must be a good number of ticket office staff with not a lot otherwise going on at the moment

OK in principle but no-one has made a payment specific to the WBA game for their ST.................total cost of ST is divided by 12 (for those on DD). The real problem the club has is not knowing when they can get people back in - if it had been October as planned, it's quite possible the 6 months collected wouldn't have been enough to cover some people's tickets for the season, so to start faffing about with game-by-game refunds, with every individual having different options, would be a nightmare to implement at short notice - so IMO the holding of half a season's worth of payments made sense from that perspective. What's ****ed it right up is the Government dithering and now not knowing if/when we'll get back which makes the holding of 6 month's money look much worse than it did as no-one is going to see half the games this season. I suspect the 'deduct 14.95 from the pot' suggestion doesn't work either - imagine it'll be paid to the broadcasters first, not the club directly using existing PPV tech - if so the admin behind that would be even more difficult for the club to manage. I reckon we'll see a further ST refund at some point pretty soon (or the option of the pot being credited towards next year) - as soon as it's confirmed games will be BCD for the rest of the season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don't have much time or inclination to watch many matches as a neutral, so I don't usually subscribe to Sky Sports. Just can't justify it. (I do, however, have Amazon Prime.)

But I signed up to Sky Sports (£18/month) and BT Sports (£25) so I can watch ALL Albion matches during the Covid-era - or so I thought.

I flatly refuse to pay £14.95 PPV.

And it's not worth paying for Sky/BT for just a couple of Albion matches a month (neutral matches are even less appealing with no crowds), so I'm almost certainly going to cancel my subscriptions.

Great work, Premier League. :shrug:

In all fairness you can’t blame Sky/BT and the clubs for you getting it wrong.

The availability of ALL games was always short term and was actually meant to stop at the end of last season.

They never said it was going to continue until all the fans were back, so while I’m not disagreeing with you regarding PPV we have never been promised all the games on TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here