Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Personally I won’t pay £14.95 to watch a match but at same time If others might feel this offers value for money it’s a personal choice.

My understanding is that the broadcasters, not the clubs themselves, set the price, so anger should be directed at them rather the PL. There were no alternatives other than £14.95 or no broadcast.

I strongly suspect PL clubs will introduce policies this week that give rebates to STH equal to the amount it will cost them to buy the matches, so it would be £45 for West Brom, £30 for the Albion, £15 for Manchester United and nothing for Liverpool etc.

If this does take place then fans won’t be out of pocket if they want to buy a PPV ticket, and if they don’t want to buy can always try out the M&S Percy Pig mince pies out this year.

Given that many family & friends in households will watch a single screen, others will watch in a pub, some will take the IPTV option etc then for (say) Albion v West Brom a good number of passes sold would be 10,000.

This generates £149,500 gross. VAT takes out £25k and the broadcasters will charge a fee (£20k would be reasonable). So the home club would earn £105, 000 if it keeps 100% of the gate. There are 17 remaining home games this season so total income is looking at about £2m.

To put into context the Albion earned £18.4m from matchday revenue in 18/19.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pardon? I'm not even sure what you're trying to say has anything to do with what I said. Fans paid for ST's before they knew whether they'd be allowed in stadiums this season. Paul Barber then tells fans that have stumped up the cash that they want 'everything for free' or words to that effect is incredibly crash, I'm not sure what a pre-season friendly has to do with anything.

If that's all you took from that post though then we're probably both wasting our time anyway.

Thought it was perfectly clear. The club took our money because they were working towards getting us in the ground. The test event/friendly had everything to do with proving how safe it can be. I guess though that if you can't see that then I agree, we are wasting out time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally I won’t pay £14.95 to watch a match but at same time If others might feel this offers value for money it’s a personal choice.

My understanding is that the broadcasters, not the clubs themselves, set the price, so anger should be directed at them rather the PL. There were no alternatives other than £14.95 or no broadcast.

I strongly suspect PL clubs will introduce policies this week that give rebates to STH equal to the amount it will cost them to buy the matches, so it would be £45 for West Brom, £30 for the Albion, £15 for Manchester United and nothing for Liverpool etc.

If this does take place then fans won’t be out of pocket if they want to buy a PPV ticket, and if they don’t want to buy can always try out the M&S Percy Pig mince pies out this year.

Given that many family & friends in households will watch a single screen, others will watch in a pub, some will take the IPTV option etc then for (say) Albion v West Brom a good number of passes sold would be 10,000.

This generates £149,500 gross. VAT takes out £25k and the broadcasters will charge a fee (£20k would be reasonable). So the home club would earn £105, 000 if it keeps 100% of the gate. There are 17 remaining home games this season so total income is looking at about £2m.

To put into context the Albion earned £18.4m from matchday revenue in 18/19.

£2m less the effect of Amex games selected for normal BT/Sky live coverage.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

18/19.

Help. I’m struggling to understand this bit

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
“Definitely” and “no reason to think”’are a long way apart, and Twitter isn’t always a reliable source of info

Ok.
If you are on Twitter you will have what I call Twitter friends, I have a few good Albion supporting Twitter friends, many I have actually met, Caroline is one of them.

Hope this helps Tim.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Ok.
If you are on Twitter you will have what I call Twitter friends, I have a few good Albion supporting Twitter friends, many I have actually met, Caroline is one of them.

Hope this helps Tim.

Ok thanks. Did you see (the tone of) Caroline’s email to PB?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm pretty sure that anyone paying for the ST by DD has already made their last payment or is making their last payment at the end of the month.

At that point we have all paid half (?) of what we were going to pay anyway.

This money will be held by the club until either games restart or the season ends, whichever comes first.

If we end up with no in-person games because of this pandemic then everyone will have paid nothing for their STs this season because it's refunded (or used to discount next season).

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over paying £15 a game? No one is obliged to pay it, so if you can't afford it then fair enough, don't pay. However, it won't be long until everyone has a little extra cash because season ticket payments have stopped.

If you do want to pay it, then that's great. It's cheaper than a match day ticket (although a very different experience) especially if there are 2+ STs in the household (which I suspect accounts for most of us).

The maths is reasonably simple. There is a short overlap where you might be paying for both your ST and Sky's £15 extra, but by the end of November it is *only* the Sky £15. Anyone who didn't take the payment holiday is already paid up so the £15 can immediately be instead of the DD payment.

Comparing 4 matches a month to the ST isn't fair because you wouldn't, in a normal world, be getting the 2 away games included in what you pay.

Why are people getting so upset about this?

The bullsh*t Project Big Picture is a greater threat to football and something we should all be very upset about the club supporting (if they do) but I genuinely don't get the fuss about this plan.

I get if you paid in full for your ST then you are owed money to get 'alignment' with the DD supporters... Are the club refunding half of that to get parity?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Thought it was perfectly clear. The club took our money because they were working towards getting us in the ground. The test event/friendly had everything to do with proving how safe it can be. I guess though that if you can't see that then I agree, we are wasting out time.

So the club and the fans were all aware of that when people started putting money down for a season tickets in March?

Fingers crossed mental gymanstics is added to the list of events at the next Olympics, you'd gurantee the UK a gold. :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
In the cool light of Monday morning, I wonder if PB will regret the non personable tone?

Sometimes where a PR chasm with a wide section of fans arises, the cavalry arrives. Wondering if Tony will email the supporters soon.

I can’t say I’m impressed with “ Unfortunately fans will always want everything for free “
I think many of us have spent a shed load of money watching the Albion, I’m not sure what point he’s making TBH.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I can’t say I’m impressed with “ Unfortunately fans will always want everything for free “
I think many of us have spent a shed load of money watching the Albion, I’m not sure what point he’s making TBH.

That should the season end before we are allowed back in-person then all the STHs get their money back and so are not out of pocket. If they *then* also get to watch the matches on Sky without paying they got the season for free but still got to watch.

Whilst the tone is wrong, the point being made is correct. The club are playing games so for us to watch them, they want some income. Because we can't go in person (not the club's fault), they will get that money from TV. But it's not free, either in-person or on TV and we will have (access to) one or the other.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That should the season end before we are allowed back in-person then all the STHs get their money back and so are not out of pocket. If they *then* also get to watch the matches on Sky without paying they got the season for free but still got to watch.

Whilst the tone is wrong, the point being made is correct. The club are playing games so for us to watch them, they want some income. Because we can't go in person (not the club's fault), they will get that money from TV. But it's not free, either in-person or on TV and we will have (access to) one or the other.

I understand what you’re saying about the season tickets etc, but many “fans” including myself are not actually asking for anything free.
The sentence reads ( to me ) as he’s having a pop at all fans, the word SOME maybe should have been added in front of fans.
And what does “ everything for free “ mean?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yep.

EkCJ9DVXsAcYFXh

As arrogant as any other CEO in the EPL, fans want everything free when holding millions of STH money paid up front for no actual (to use his words) product, think this is starting to get acrimonious at the so called Community Club

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm pretty sure that anyone paying for the ST by DD has already made their last payment or is making their last payment at the end of the month.

At that point we have all paid half (?) of what we were going to pay anyway.

This money will be held by the club until either games restart or the season ends, whichever comes first.

If we end up with no in-person games because of this pandemic then everyone will have paid nothing for their STs this season because it's refunded (or used to discount next season).

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over paying £15 a game? No one is obliged to pay it, so if you can't afford it then fair enough, don't pay. However, it won't be long until everyone has a little extra cash because season ticket payments have stopped.

If you do want to pay it, then that's great. It's cheaper than a match day ticket (although a very different experience) especially if there are 2+ STs in the household (which I suspect accounts for most of us).

The maths is reasonably simple. There is a short overlap where you might be paying for both your ST and Sky's £15 extra, but by the end of November it is *only* the Sky £15. Anyone who didn't take the payment holiday is already paid up so the £15 can immediately be instead of the DD payment.

Comparing 4 matches a month to the ST isn't fair because you wouldn't, in a normal world, be getting the 2 away games included in what you pay.

Why are people getting so upset about this?

The bullsh*t Project Big Picture is a greater threat to football and something we should all be very upset about the club supporting (if they do) but I genuinely don't get the fuss about this plan.

I get if you paid in full for your ST then you are owed money to get 'alignment' with the DD supporters... Are the club refunding half of that to get parity?

Quite.

Some people seem to be going into 'I was so outraged by the Sex Pistols I frowed a brick through my TV' mode.

In case they haven't noticed, we have a Covid pandemic and a mad useless government trying to ride it out like a ten year old on the back of an unbroken horse. Meanwhile our club and the EPL are trying to manage things for their survival. And guess what? They may get things wrong. Does that mean they are all in league to **** us over? Maybe, but I doubt it. Why would sellers kill their market?

Those folk off to county league in disgust, do close the door gently behind you :shrug:.

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I understand what you’re saying about the season tickets etc, but many “fans” including myself are not actually asking for anything free.
The sentence reads ( to me ) as he’s having a pop at all fans, the word SOME maybe should have been added in front of fans.
And what does “ everything for free “ mean?

I don't know what he was referring to exactly but I will assume it follows the logic I've laid out... People are 'demanding' to have the PPV games for free because 'we have paid for season tickets'... When in fact, for as long as PPV is the only option, we *aren't* paying for season tickets'. Hence getting 'everything for free'.

Like I said, I do not agree with the tone but I understand what he was trying to get across (and think when he reflects on it he will regret the tone).

Significantly, I imagine that this weekend he has only heard (a lot of) people saying they don't think they should be paying the PPV and those of us *not* complaining are being quiet.

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I don't know what he was referring to exactly but I will assume it follows the logic I've laid out... People are 'demanding' to have the PPV games for free because 'we have paid for season tickets'... When in fact, for as long as PPV is the only option, we *aren't* paying for season tickets'. Hence getting 'everything for free'.

Like I said, I do not agree with the tone but I understand what he was trying to get across (and think when he reflects on it he will regret the tone).

Are people expecting them for free?

???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here