Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
DaZn show every Premier League game, every Champions League Game & every Europa League game. They also have every Serie A & MLS game as well as a host of other sports if you're interested in Tennis, NFL, Boxing, UFC etc. It's $20 a month, and you can get a VPN to use it for less than a tenner a month. In fact, a years subscription to DaZn ($99) & NordVPN ($70) works out at less per month than 1 game through the PPV.

For the £14.50 it costs to watch a game on my TV at home with SkyPPV I could go to Woodside road, pay to watch a real game of football and have enough left over for a pint and a programme. I'd also get the smug satisfaction of knowing that money is helping to support local business rather than being vacuumed into the pockets of multi-millionaires.

Both much, much better options than the PPV option.

Good info, thanks I will go down that route rather than pay for PPV which I was going to do. I already have a VPN so looking good :thumbsup:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Everyone has a different financial position, and I'm not sure the league will budge on price, but if the club give fans the option of a refund now there's little chance of seeing games this will surely blow over.

I do think this is the sort of thing that might encourage fan consultation from the Premier League before any votes moving forward, although I won't hold my breath.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
DaZn show every Premier League game, every Champions League Game & every Europa League game. They also have every Serie A & MLS game as well as a host of other sports if you're interested in Tennis, NFL, Boxing, UFC etc. It's $20 a month, and you can get a VPN to use it for less than a tenner a month. In fact, a years subscription to DaZn ($99) & NordVPN ($70) works out at less per month than 1 game through the PPV.

Indeed, but it's not a UK offering is it? I'm not sure that's a fair basis of assessing value of the £15 price point - it's just a step above dodgy free streaming.

I'm not saying £15 represents good value, but I'm interested in what those who are saying it is expensive are using as a barometer.

The only thing I can think of, as a close comparison, is Sky and/or BT subscriptions, where you get a bundle of sports, some PL games every week and, on average, one Albion league game a month.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Good info, thanks I will go down that route rather than pay for PPV which I was going to do. I already have a VPN so looking good [emoji106]
Be careful though. Dazn are getting very good at blocking vpns. Expressvpn has not worked for a week and that's the best VPN in the game. There are very few vpns that dazn works with at the moment. And I would be wary of Nord as that's a big boy and again will be targeted.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
It will be interesting to see the viewing figures after the first run of PPV games.

From glancing over forums and social media it seems the Prem are about to accidentally give a much needed financial boost to grass roots football. I’m hoping this turns into a real game changer, in that fans find love for local football again and gives the professional clubs the reality check and realise football without (live) fans is nothing.

The big question for me is do I take the boy next Saturday all the way to Crawley to watch Saltdean away or go easy and watch Whitehawk in the FA Vase?

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
The way I look at it, if you pay by direct debit, at any point in time you have always paid for 5-10 games in advance. Currently it is about 10, and the last DD was taken on September 1.

We knew the first 2 games would be behind closed doors, so games 3-12 were in credit.

By not having to pay on Oct 1, I think of it as having 1.5 games refunded, and my 10 games in credit are now games 4.5 to 13.5.

If we are still in credit at the end of the season, then, they will reduce DD's next season until we are square.

I would also hope the club will refund anyone who does not want to renew for 2021/22.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Be careful though. Dazn are getting very good at blocking vpns. Expressvpn has not worked for a week and that's the best VPN in the game. There are very few vpns that dazn works with at the moment. And I would be wary of Nord as that's a big boy and again will be targeted.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

I have just discovered that! I am on Express VPN

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
what am I missing here, I really don't understand why people are losing it over this. Those people saying they have already paid are simply misunderstanding the situation. No one has paid for games that are played behind closed doors. The money paid so far is for games that will allow spectators, and should that not happen, money is in the pot for later or refunded once the situation has stabilised and its known when/if fans can return. That hasnt changed .
These games were NOT due to be shown on TV, the usual number of games are included in whatever subscriptions people have chosen to take out with Sky or BT. If you don't have a sky or BT subscription you wouldn't be getting any games anyhow.
These are extra games being made available if you choose to pay for them, its not compulsory.The fact is the games made available so far since restart that weren't due to be shown on TV have been free, that's a bonus, not a right. Its a surprise to me that any games have been free to air this season.

What the real issue here is, people have been given some games for free, and now they dont like the fact that is no longer the case.Why should the club give away games for nothing, as I said above no one is paying for these games through their season tickets, that has been explained quite well.

My only issue with this PPV is the actual cost which I agree is a bit steep.Its the same issue we have every year with early stages of various cup games, Do they charge low prices and get more fans, or higher prices and get fewer. Personally I think the clubs would get more revenue from a £10 a match as a lot more would take it up than will do at £15, and thus make up the difference in cost. Having said that I expect this figure wasnt plucked out the air, and some market research done before settling on that price.

The clubs are trying to plan without knowing what they are planning for, and the situation changes every week. What they have done here is a solution that will enable people to watch if they choose.
I agree 100% with what you say.

Too much boot the club bandwagoning going on now.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Having said that I expect this figure wasnt plucked out the air, and some market research done before settling on that price.

Judging by the backlash, I suspect it was plucked out of the air - or "as much as we can get away with".

No-one has made mention of any fan consultation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree 100% with what you say.

Too much boot the club bandwagoning going on now.

Indeed - the Albion under Tony Bloom's ownership and Paul Barber's day-to-day leadership have gone the extra mile, time and time again, to be fair and equitable wherever possible and, beyond that, always taken time to explain decisions and reasoning as transparently as possible. We may not always like the answers, but we do always get straight up responses when we ask.

Yet now we have a whole load of fans who have wasted no time at all in taking cheap pot-shots at the club as if they were the football club equivalent of Ryanar and have a long track record of saying "**** you" to fans and trying to take the piss at every opportunity.

It's slightly disappointing.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Indeed, but it's not a UK offering is it? I'm not sure that's a fair basis of assessing value of the £15 price point - it's just a step above dodgy free streaming.

I'm not saying £15 represents good value, but I'm interested in what those who are saying it is expensive are using as a barometer.

The only thing I can think of, as a close comparison, is Sky and/or BT subscriptions, where you get a bundle of sports, some PL games every week and, on average, one Albion league game a month.

You’re moving the goalposts :shrug:

You asked by what measure is £15 too much and I gave two examples. The fact that DaZn can afford to stream every Prem match for less than £20 a month whilst the Premier League are now asking for up to £60 a month on top of the already ludicrous fees people pay for Sky Sports & BT means I can’t see why any sane person would think the £15 fee is acceptable.

If the fee was £15 a month for your teams games and the club had sorted refunds on season tickets then I don’t think you’d see many complaints. Sadly as it currently stands it’s just another way for the Premier League to push genuine working class fans out of the game so they can continue to suck-up to people who are middle class and out of touch with reality.

The only positive is tje fact that grassroots football will get the massive boost it deserves. A lot of people are going to go and watch Lewes/Worthing/Horsham/Bognor and realise that it’s much better value for money and quite frankly, much more fun. Even if fans are allowed back with no restrictions next season I wouldn’t be surprised to see a massive plunge in ST renewals and a slight dip in overall attendances.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Indeed - the Albion under Tony Bloom's ownership and Paul Barber's day-to-day leadership have gone the extra mile, time and time again, to be fair and equitable wherever possible and, beyond that, always taken time to explain decisions and reasoning as transparently as possible. We may not always like the answers, but we do always get straight up responses when we ask.

Yet now we have a whole load of fans who have wasted no time at all in taking cheap pot-shots at the club as if they were the football club equivalent of Ryanar and have a long track record of saying "**** you" to fans and trying to take the piss at every opportunity.

In this climate, the poor decision to charge what seems to most to be an excessive amount for club games which were not deemed good enough for the main Sky and BT channels, was always going to be bad publicity. I believe the Albion, like many other PL clubs will bear the brunt of the complaints because fans or customers still feel locally connected and so vent their ire and frustrations at BHA rather than the collective PL.

This decision, whilst disappointing me greatly, does not diminish my appreciation for the club, with whom I've dealt with professionally as a teacher, nor does it diminish my belief that for the main part, the club gets very much more right than it does wrong.

But that doesn't let it off the hook and I believe that BHA and other PL clubs deserve flak for mistaking the public mood and appearing to cash in in difficult times. It also comes over potentially as a very unfair system by which we may have to pay hundreds more pounds than say a Leeds fan.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

I can't say I want to pay £15 a match, but I didn't hesitate to buy a monthly pass for BT Sport at £25 just to watch two Albion matches. The Albion can't disclose their finances so we have to accept this for the moment. It's temporary and the club generally treats us pretty fairly.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

It's hardly confined to Albion fans.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It's silly when it's gets personal, we're very lucky to have Paul Barber.

But I can fully understand why the majority of supporters are annoyed with the EPL and PPV concept. Both on principle and not everyone can have 5 Albion loving mates around to split the cost, some physically can't for their safety in these times.

Physical rebates in tranches to STH's might assuage quite a few, irrespective of whether they intend to take up PPV or not.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you haven’t got a Sky subscription/Virgin/Now tv, you will pay just to watch on a pc or tablet. That’s hardly conducive to sharing with family or friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here