Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah, whatever. I'm guessing you're not someone who's been paying since March for nothing.

I have been paying since March but, unlike you, I understand that I'm not paying for the home games that we are not allowed to watch, I'm paying for games in the future that we will be able to watch. In the meantime, I will pay the fee to watch games that we still can't go to because that's my choice. So for the WBA game I am fully aware that I am not paying twice.

It's difficult to put it simpler than that.

#teamdrew

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I sure this has been said many times already, but I will add to the count. Stream it. If you are Geo Blocked get a cheap vpn, I just got one for 40 quid for 2 years. My stream gives me every EPL game for the round with highlights, 24 minute mini matches for every match available until the next round, plus all the internationals for 7 quid a month.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’ve never believed that the PL bubble will burst. My Dad was saying it 20 years ago! Instead, for better or worse, I thought that English and then UEFA football finally started reaching its commercial potential in the way the NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL had done for decades.

Overseas markets in wealthy parts of the world, new platforms such as Amazon, more leisure time, people love their sport.

Full marks for your NSC resilience in the last 24 hours btw :smile:

One day when there are 7 billion subscribers then perhaps it will reach saturation point.

People complain about EPL wages but look at some of the contracts in the American sports! Top ten earners in NFL earn over $30m a year and that's a sport that doesn't have the global appeal of football. In the MLB, Mike Trout has a contract of $426m over 12 years and again the top 10 all earn over $30m a year. And guess what, in the NBA the top 10 players all earn over $30m. David De Gea is reportedly the highest earner in the EPL on £375k a week (about £20m a year). At the bottom of the top 10 is Kane who is reportedly on £200k a week which is about £5m a year.

It's no wonder sports are fighting for global dominance.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have been paying since March but, unlike you, I understand that I'm not paying for the home games that we are not allowed to watch, I'm paying for games in the future that we will be able to watch. In the meantime, I will pay the fee to watch games that we still can't go to because that's my choice. So for the WBA game I am fully aware that I am not paying twice.

#teamdrew

But if you decide to pay £15 for the WBA game, as a STH, then you ARE paying twice for it - you're just on a wing and a prayer that BHA will chalk it off in a refund some time later on. And unless I've missed the smallprint, I ain't seen that commitment yet.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
1. Really, playing for free then how would they look after their families? Players in the national league get paid. Players that play for free play on a Sunday morning down the local park and there's a reason why they don't earn a living from it!!

2. As for starting again, we'd only end up back where we are.

Players get paid because the money is there to pay them. If people stopped going to games and stopped paying subscriptions then the wages would go down but the punter doesn't do that.

1. I'm not saying they should play for free, more they would. Bit of a binary argument really in guess. Perhaps they could play for wages that don't put clubs up and down the pyramid in jeopardy. 50,000 or even 100,000 for top players a week is plenty to look after your family. The problem with the over inflated wages at clubs like Madrid, City, Chelsea etc etc is it forces smaller clubs to pay more and over extend themselves. They end up with fans screaming for them to gamble on expensive strikers just to keep up with the Joneses.

2. There are other systems we could try. If we just did the same again then if course we would just end up here again.

Looking at the debts if many clubs and the percentage of their income spent on wages I would wholeheartedly disagree that the money is there to pay them. It's not, hence the debt, parachute payments and clubs going out of business.

Herin lies the problem.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
What we don't know is what they are doing with their money. Many do a lot for charity but, unlike Smashy and Nicey, don't like to talk about it. Difficult to judge when we don't know what they spend it on.

If they had taken a wage cut or deferral we would have heard about it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
NSC: whaaa whaaaa whaaa why won't we spend tens of millions on a striker and pay them huges wages. The club are so cheap whaaa whaaaa whaaaa
Also NSC: Pay to watch a game!? Get ****ed the money grabbing ********!

Seriously could not make this up :shrug:
Why would you assume that NSC members all share the same views and priorities? You are sounding a little like Barber.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see you've singled me out. Fine. I'm going to splice this down to the bare facts.

I have paid over £400 to BHAFC since mid-March, for games I have not attended. This is ongoing. I've not taken the "payment holiday", I have cracked on with it, in the forlorn hope that one fine day I and my son can retake our seats in the WSU. That may or may not happen in the foreseeable.

Therefore - and lets pin this down - YOU think its entirely justifiable for BHAFC to charge me another £15 to see every home game that I can't go to. On top of what I've paid. THATS your argument ?
If you pay by direct debit you will have paid/pay for 12 of the 19 home games this season ( source : bhafc ticket office phone call ).

It is fair to assume that these are the last 12 games - as these are the most likely crowds can attend - so Arsenal onwards. I think that the 'paying for twice' argument really kicks in from that game onwards.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

#teamdrew

I'm paying but not for what I entered in to the agreement for. BHA have changed the rules. Rather than receiving the product they offered me and I agreed to buy they have changed the offer to some product (likely inferior, limited crowds etc) at some future date, they hope, but cannot be specific about. If I don't agree with this, think my money (for the product I'm not receiving) should be returned untll such time as they can provide the product my only option is to to lose my season ticket because thats hat they threaten us with. This is not what I'd hope for from a decent club.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I see you've singled me out. Fine. I'm going to splice this down to the bare facts.

I have paid over £400 to BHAFC since mid-March, for games I have not attended. This is ongoing. I've not taken the "payment holiday", I have cracked on with it, in the forlorn hope that one fine day I and my son can retake our seats in the WSU. That may or may not happen in the foreseeable.

Therefore - and lets pin this down - YOU think its entirely justifiable for BHAFC to charge me another £15 to see every home game that I can't go to. On top of what I've paid. THATS your argument ?

Why don’t you cancel your season ticket and ask the club for your £400 back ?
As surely by your logic this is money you have already paid for matches that have and are due to take place that you can’t attend. You can use the money to pay the £14.95 per game, therefore as per your logic you will only be paying once !!
Obviously once fans can attend you will need to reapply for a season ticket etc but hey at least you won’t have paid twice !!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That will happen. It's the law. What am I missing here?

That if you paid up front for a ST this season it hasn't happened yet. WHEN will it happen?

No one is coming out of this well.

Club: we're just going to keep your money for now to see what happens. Oh, can we have some more please?
Sky: we're just going to do a massive campaign to get sports fans to subscribe while all sport is BCD and then not show some of it unless it's pay per view.
Fans: can we have a really big name striker please, only can we also not pay for it?

Like I said on the streaming thread, not exactly #Together

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm paying but not for what I entered in to the agreement for. BHA have changed the rules. Rather than receiving the product they offered me and I agreed to buy they have changed the offer to some product (likely inferior, limited crowds etc) at some future date, they hope, but cannot be specific about. If I don't agree with this, think my money (for the product I'm not receiving) should be returned untll such time as they can provide the product my only option is to to lose my season ticket because thats hat they threaten us with. This is not what I'd hope for from a decent club.

This is highly disappointing. From what someone said earlier on this thread Leicester are doing it different and by the sounds of it better.

Given that people are likely struggling at the moment, this is a disappointing response from the Albion.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That if you paid up front for a ST this season it hasn't happened yet. WHEN will it happen?

No one is coming out of this well.

Club: we're just going to keep your money for now to see what happens. Oh, can we have some more please?
Sky: we're just going to do a massive campaign to get sports fans to subscribe while all sport is BCD and then not show some of it unless it's pay per view.
Fans: can we have a really big name striker please, only can we also not pay for it?

Like I said on the streaming thread, not exactly #Together

I certainly hope that those who are demanding a big name expensive striker are not also complaining about the PPV/Season ticket thing.

It is all disappointing but frankly not that surprising given the nature of the Premier League.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
**** me even Ed Woodward has more common sense on this matter than Brighton & Hove Albion / Paul Barber

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...e-AGAINST-charging-fans-14-95-TV-matches.html

He wanted season-ticket holders to be granted free access to the service but couldn't force a re-think.

Now that would have been something.

FWIW both Aussie Rules and A league club members were offered a reduced subscription to Kayo sports (Sky Sport app thing) for a couple of months so they could watch all the games.

Much less of a capitalist, money money money attitude over here and sport is better for it IMHO.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Just food for thought... if the 25 man squads of the top 6 leagues in Europe took a 50% pay cut for a year it would put £15,600,000,000, extra into the kitty...

For example to save lower league clubs etc...

Considering people working for football clubs on 20k a year are getting laid off and losing their homes,and we are being asked to pay £15 per game whilst battling hard times with COVID.. I think you see why people are getting a bit annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Much less of a capitalist, money money money attitude over here and sport is better for it IMHO.

It’s greed pure and simple. And knowing they can get away with it for those desperate to watch their team.

In any country in the world you can pay <£100
Per season to watch every EPL game.
Likewise US sports similar price for NBA,
NFL etc every season.

55/72 EFL clubs also managed to negotiate free home games on iFollow for season ticket holders. The majority.

Compared to 0/20 EPL clubs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just food for thought... if the 25 man squads of the top 6 leagues in Europe took a 50% pay cut for a year it would put £15,600,000,000, extra into the kitty...

Considering people working for football clubs on 20k a year are getting laid off and losing their homes,and we are being asked to pay £15 per game whilst battling hard times with COVID.. I think you see why people are getting a bit annoyed.

Another very good point.

Ironically, if we were still at Withdean then I'd probably pay more than £15 to see the games on ppv to keep the club alive. I do suspect much of the £15 a game now will keep young men in souped up Range Rovers and £300 a pair trainers.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

It’s greed pure and simple. And knowing they can get away with it for those desperate to watch their team.

In any country in the world you can pay <£100
Per season to watch every EPL game.
Likewise US sports similar price for NBA,
NFL etc every season.

55/72 EFL clubs also managed to negotiate free home games on iFollow for season ticket holders. The majority.

Compared to 0/20 EPL clubs.

These in spades.

I don't know what the answer is but what is clear is that those making the decisions do not care about their supporters/customers because they know full well that should some walk away they will be immediately be replaced by those prepared to pay.

As I have said before, if I were still living in Sussex I could see myself following Whitehawk, Lewis or Eastbourne etc instead of paying through the nose to watch Brighton in the Premier League. I love the albion with all my heart but this type of bullshit is slowly but surely chipping away at that.

Like you say though here in Australia I pay around 60 quid a season to see every Brighton game.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Another very good point.

Ironically, if we were still at Withdean then I'd probably pay more than £15 to see the games on ppv to keep the club alive. I do suspect much of the £15 a game now will keep young men in souped up Range Rovers and £300 a pair trainers.

Yep. It’s how I see it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here