Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

12 Years since 9/11

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Re: 9/11 all those years ago

Still remember it very clearly, it happening mid-afternoon and the teachers at school all being very quiet and hush hush about it, all we knew was "something's happened in new york". Came home about 5 minutes after the second plane hit, and the first thing I said was "those buildings are coming down". Horrible, horrible day. Very surreal feeling having been up the tower 2 years previously. RIP Robert Eaton and all those who died that day.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I remember we played a home match at The Withdean that evening. I think it was against Southampton though not totally sure. The atmosphere was really surreal and the quietest ever-which is saying something for that ground. The crowd left in virtual silence afterwards as events continued to gradually sink in.

Indeed it was Southampton - one of the weirdest football matches I have ever been too. RIP all the victims.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Currently on holiday but felt that I needed to come back on here today to mark this occasion. Always remember coming home and seeing it on the news with my mum, thinking it was all some kind of horrible accident. Was the first time I really had any comprehension that terrorism even existed.

RIP Robert. Gone but not forgotten.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
12-year GIF...

807933560.gif

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
My uncle told me a story that he thought his clients - of which put his job on the line and were in a conference meeting in one of the WTC - hanged up on him and a deal wouldn't go through, he sat in silence and saw the news bulletin of the plane crash. The office building was in silence. Nothing could be done as everything was relied upon those two WTC buildings.

He applied for voluntary redundancy, got a new job immediately and gave all the money from the redundancy payment to the families who were his clients.

Makes you think what really is important in this world.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
Think it was called "What the f**ks happening at the World Trade Centre?" It was the old style board, so not sure if it would've been archived. I remember Ricky Marlowes Hairpiece posting the day before. RIP.

After a little search it looks like it was "What the f**ks happening in America" but for some reason could only search back as far as 2003. May be Bozza can locate the thread.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Like others, remember the day quite well.
I was working for EDS [American IT company] with the CAA in their Safety Regulation Group building next to the runway at Gatwick.
I was leading a project meeting with some of their senior chaps when there was a knock on the door and one of the PA's came in to break the news.

Very similar to when Concorde went down.

Both very sad days in our modern history ....

RIP all victims

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is what we have achieved together in the name of Robert Eaton.

The First 10 years.

Los Peladitos - 230 disadvantaged children in Queens, New York provided with a 3 year funding grant of 230 shirts, 150 balls and equipment.

Seagulls Specials - £ 7000 grant over the last 2 years for handicapped and special needs people in the local community which has been an integral part in them surviving ...and moving forward.

Coaching for Hope - £ 3000 grant over 3 years to provide kit and equipment for Aids orphans in Mali, Africa for poor and parentless kids to bring a smile to their faces.

8 local youth football clubs in the Brighton & Hove area provided with kit and equipment benefiting hundreds of local kids to play football and enhance their lives.

4 sets of kit for Wickham Wanderers youth teams in recognition of the support from our friends at CPFC.

Goals for impoverished kids in Cambodia to play football.

A set of kit for underprivileged children in South Africa.

Since 2011

Aitc - 2 - kickz project, whitehawk, seagulls specials mini bus £ 30000

Local teams - 5

Croydon - 2 teams - sutton eagles, crystal palace foundation £ 8750

Overseas - Kenya, Uganda

Total Now Raised since 2001 - Over £ 140000.

The Argus Sussex charity of the year in 2009 and also short listed in 2002, 2007 and 2008.

The fund going from strength to strength after that terrible day for humanity in 2001 when we lost one of our own showing human endeavour, spirit and love will always overcome the forces of evil.

Every single person who has helped, donated or attended the REMF since 2001 from BHAFC, CPFC and everywhere can be proud of what they have achieved in the name of Robert Eaton. RIP. I know the Eatons find incredible comfort from the REMF and we can all hope that Robert looks down from above and realises what has occurred in his name. I am sure he would be proud.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
My freshmen this year were 3 years old on the day, many of them. The moment of silence baffled many of them....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Terrible day, came back from London early saw the Southampton game but it wasn't till I watched the news it really sunk in what had actually happened.

I am going to Ground Zero in a month or so, I hope I will be able to see Robert Eatons name, does anyone know how easy it is to find it ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is what we have achieved together in the name of Robert Eaton.

The First 10 years.

Los Peladitos - 230 disadvantaged children in Queens, New York provided with a 3 year funding grant of 230 shirts, 150 balls and equipment.

Seagulls Specials - £ 7000 grant over the last 2 years for handicapped and special needs people in the local community which has been an integral part in them surviving ...and moving forward.

Coaching for Hope - £ 3000 grant over 3 years to provide kit and equipment for Aids orphans in Mali, Africa for poor and parentless kids to bring a smile to their faces.

8 local youth football clubs in the Brighton & Hove area provided with kit and equipment benefiting hundreds of local kids to play football and enhance their lives.

4 sets of kit for Wickham Wanderers youth teams in recognition of the support from our friends at CPFC.

Goals for impoverished kids in Cambodia to play football.

A set of kit for underprivileged children in South Africa.

Since 2011

Aitc - 2 - kickz project, whitehawk, seagulls specials mini bus £ 30000

Local teams - 5

Croydon - 2 teams - sutton eagles, crystal palace foundation £ 8750

Overseas - Kenya, Uganda

Total Now Raised since 2001 - Over £ 140000.

The Argus Sussex charity of the year in 2009 and also short listed in 2002, 2007 and 2008.

The fund going from strength to strength after that terrible day for humanity in 2001 when we lost one of our own showing human endeavour, spirit and love will always overcome the forces of evil.

Every single person who has helped, donated or attended the REMF since 2001 from BHAFC, CPFC and everywhere can be proud of what they have achieved in the name of Robert Eaton. RIP. I know the Eatons find incredible comfort from the REMF and we can all hope that Robert looks down from above and realises what has occurred in his name. I am sure he would be proud.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
We visited the 9/11 memorial this year and it was very moving. We found Roberts name and paid our respects.

image.jpg

Supporters should be very proud of money raised in his name. RIP!

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
9/11 all those years ago

Terrible day, came back from London early saw the Southampton game but it wasn't till I watched the news it really sunk in what had actually happened.

I am going to Ground Zero in a month or so, I hope I will be able to see Robert Eatons name, does anyone know how easy it is to find it ?

Once you go through the entrance, it's at the memorial furthest north. As you approach it still heading north, go to the right hand side and its in the middle. This won't make sense to you now but will if you remember this for when you are there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Once you go through the entrance, it's at the memorial furthest north. As you approach it still heading north, go to the right hand side and its in the middle. This won't make sense to you now but will if you remember this for when you are there.

Thanks so are there several of these with the names on ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There's only 2. There's one to the right and one straight ahead. Go to the one straight ahead.

Thank you very much for this information

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks so are there several of these with the names on ?

Each footprint of the towers is surrounded by a bronze plynth which has the names of all victims carved into it. I was there in late July, and found it incredibly moving. I never knew Robert, but both my son and I felt as if we were honouring one of our own, as many have said.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No worries. I would also get your free tickets online before you go, to skip the long queue of people trying to get tickets on the day.

Thanks, we have pre-booked

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here