[Albion] £115m

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What has happened in football is a mirror of what is happening in wider society (in Britain and elsewhere)

In 1985 the average wage of a footballer in the old first division was £25K a year - two and a half times the average industrial wage. In the old fourth division the average wage was £160 per week - today the average wage is £750 per week.

In 1992 when the PL was established the transfer record was £5.5m - today - we are getting to the point where £100m is not uncommon.

In 1992 the average wage of a PL footballer was £75K a year - John Barnes was the highest paid player on £10K a week - today - the average is £3m a year and some players earn up to £400K a week

In less than 40 years wages in the top division have increased by a factor of more than X100 - while in League 2 the wages have increased by a factor of less than X5. Remember this is the average - there are professional footballers in the UK earning less than £300 a week.

There has been an obscene shift in wealth in football to the top division - and within the top division to the top half a dozen clubs.

The exact same concentration of wealth at the top has occurred in wider society where there has been a massive transfusion of wealth from 99% of the population to the richest 1%. During the pandemic - when millions were on furlough payments - the richest 10 men on the planet doubled their wealth to $1.5trillion. Their wealth increased at a rate of over £12,000 per second. This is all thanks to the policies of the Tories and the Blairites and their equivalent in other countries. It cannot continue - inevitably there will be a major crash and unprecedented upheavals - they don't call the period we are entering the 'Age of Disorder' for nothing.
Any chance of keeping the sermonising to political threads?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We can't force a player to join a team he doesn't want to. Not our fault.
But then he, apparently, is currently contracted to a team he doesn't want to be, too...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes if Chelsea can't match our price we can keep. If Chelsea can match then we will be a bit silly not to accept. We know the price now !!!
That's not how auctions work. And that's effectively what took place last night :shrug:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
That's not how auctions work. And that's effectively what took place last night :shrug:
Brighton were sneaky with this one. I suspect they knew there was a fair chance Moises wouldn't be interested and Chelsea would pay more. Liverpool are the mugs here, although they may have concocted it with us (unlikely)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
A player cant be forced to go to a club he doesnt want to. However what this wil question is what kind of deal did chelsea make with his agent? They will say it was personal terms but surely liverpool could match that. However they may not want to provide kickbacks to the agent over and above the standard
It seems likely that the scummy agent has an under the counter deal with Chelsea.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
IF they match the Liverpool offer. Is there any sign of that yet?
I'd be extremely surprised if Caicado has rejected Liverpool without being essentially certain that Chelsea will put an acceptable offer in. That would be stupid!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What has happened in football is a mirror of what is happening in wider society (in Britain and elsewhere)

In 1985 the average wage of a footballer in the old first division was £25K a year - two and a half times the average industrial wage. In the old fourth division the average wage was £160 per week - today the average wage is £750 per week.

In 1992 when the PL was established the transfer record was £5.5m - today - we are getting to the point where £100m is not uncommon.

In 1992 the average wage of a PL footballer was £75K a year - John Barnes was the highest paid player on £10K a week - today - the average is £3m a year and some players earn up to £400K a week

In less than 40 years wages in the top division have increased by a factor of more than X100 - while in League 2 the wages have increased by a factor of less than X5. Remember this is the average - there are professional footballers in the UK earning less than £300 a week.

There has been an obscene shift in wealth in football to the top division - and within the top division to the top half a dozen clubs.

The exact same concentration of wealth at the top has occurred in wider society where there has been a massive transfusion of wealth from 99% of the population to the richest 1%. During the pandemic - when millions were on furlough payments - the richest 10 men on the planet doubled their wealth to $1.5trillion. Their wealth increased at a rate of over £12,000 per second. This is all thanks to the policies of the Tories and the Blairites and their equivalent in other countries. It cannot continue - inevitably there will be a major crash and unprecedented upheavals - they don't call the period we are entering the 'Age of Disorder' for nothing.
While I kind of agree with a lot of what you say.

Not now eh? Start a separate thread.

el punal

I hope we have set Caicedo’s team a time deadline, get this done with Chelsea today or go to Liverpool today OR you are staying with us.
Can you imagine if both Liverpool and Chelsea both think - “oh f*** it” and walk away, unlikely I know, but I’d love to see the reaction on the faces of Caicedo’s blood sucking leeches, sorry, agents.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can you imagine if both Liverpool and Chelsea both think - “oh f*** it” and walk away, unlikely I know, but I’d love to see the reaction on the faces of Caicedo’s blood sucking leeches, sorry, agents.
After scaring away potentially three big club moves and tying him to a contract here with no release clause, if he has any sense they won’t be his agents for much longer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd be extremely surprised if Caicado has rejected Liverpool without being essentially certain that Chelsea will put an acceptable offer in. That would be stupid!
I wouldn't. The agents think they are still upping the ante.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The whole saga is starting to stink, and the agent must be on a massive backhander, allegedly

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I hope we have set Caicedo’s team a time deadline, get this done with Chelsea today or go to Liverpool today OR you are staying with us.
The deadline was last night...

And, what's worse, they've had MONTHS to get this over the line – for less than £111, too!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm sure he will go to Chelsea if they match the Liverpool offer. It's a poor decision on his part though.

If Chelsea fully match Liverpool's offer (amount, structure etc.) then we will accept.

Brighton were sneaky with this one. I suspect they knew there was a fair chance Moises wouldn't be interested and Chelsea would pay more. Liverpool are the mugs here, although they may have concocted it with us (unlikely)
Chelsea HAD the chance to match the offer. In fact they've had numerous chances to get Moises for MONTHS!

How does it make the club look if – apparently – they set a deadline for bids of yesterday and then today say 'oh, well hang on, we're going to change the rules and accept a different bid'?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports